Author Topic: A good pounds worth  (Read 2016 times)

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
A good pounds worth
« on: June 25, 2015, 15:48:54 »
Earlier in the year I called into a 'Pound Shop' and saw a packet of 5 Allium Christophii for sale.

I had a look and the bulbs looked a bit small for christophii so I was in two minds as to whether to buy them or not, even at a a pound.

In the end I did and planted all five in an eight inch pot to see what would happen and I was pleasantly surprised, as you can see here:

Needless to say these will get some better treatment next year.

Strangely enough I bought some Red Baron onions as well and they seem to be coming along nicely as well.

So are the T&M's Sutton's, DTB's of this world potentially pricing themselves out of the market?.....With results like this it is easy to think that they are!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: A good pounds worth
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2015, 22:46:10 »
Pound shop plants can be good, but they're often dead, at least at the local one. It's a case of grabbing them the moment they appear on the shelves.

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2015, 06:39:49 »
They are lovely aren't they  :happy7:

The big boys prices do seem to be going up quite a bit, I was looking at some onion sets and garlic last week. I think if you are able to shop around you will be much better off. I tend to buy things from the big online companies when they have a special offer that I want or if they are offering free postage or money off voucher, but even then they can be on the pricy side.

Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

brownthumb2015

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2015, 07:37:41 »
 I too buy from the pound shops and most have grown superbly but when buying look for signs of life /growth if appropriate for planting date some times they have started to grow  too early as  been kept been too warm

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal