Author Topic: Poorly Acer  (Read 1997 times)

Amazingrotavator(Derby)

• Half Acre
  • My best mate
    • www.mandjderbygardens.co.uk
Poorly Acer
« on: June 16, 2015, 08:14:11 »

Our Acer is turning brown. We know there are lots of cats about and they spray alot but this seems like a desease or something. Can anyone shed any light on it. Thanks.

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Poorly Acer
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2015, 08:28:53 »
How old is you acer/ how long has it been in its current spot?
Is it first time it is showing those signs?
What is your soil like?....do you know its PH?
Is that brick wall I can see in back ground?
Have had any other bigger plants nearby but are now cut back/removed so that your acer is more exposed situation than before?
Are those brown parts mainly on just one side of the plant (if so facing on...?)... or are they all over the place?

It is like detective work...millions of questions to find the problem... :drunken_smilie:

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2015, 09:54:43 »
Seeing as most of the plant still looks healthy, I would put the culprit down to the recent strong winds breaking a few tender stems or causing wind burn. Just look closer at the affected bits and while you are at it make sure there is no scale growing on the stems or insects setting up home.

Take off the affected bits and burn them just in case it is something that might spread.

Redalder

• Half Acre
  • East Cornwall, mostly clay and stones.
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2015, 15:22:26 »
Wind damage usually starts at the tips and the tips look OK in some parts with brown spreading from the stems . As whatever it is seems to be from the stem outward look to see if the wind has actually bent or broken the stems. Try cutting out the damaged parts well beyond the brown bits and as ACE advises look for signs of disease or insect damage.

Amazingrotavator(Derby)

• Half Acre
  • My best mate
    • www.mandjderbygardens.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2015, 07:49:22 »
Thanks for your replies. Will have a good look at it. My Mrs took out the brown bits yesterday and complained the area around the acer smelt strongly of cat spray.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal