Author Topic: Help with plants  (Read 3486 times)

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
Help with plants
« on: March 22, 2005, 10:06:34 »
Hi!

I've made a little pond using a butler sink. I haven't sunk the sink as I thought with having a toddler it would be safer not to. I need some suggestions as to what I can plant in and around the sink. I am thinking I could mound some soil up around the back of the sink for planting and access for any frogs that may pass by. I have someone on spawn watch in their own pond,loads of activity but no spawn yet. She thinks there could be by the weekend so I need to get my little pond looking inviting for my little guests. Any tips will be more than welcome. I've used rain water to fill it up,is that ok?

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
Re: Help with plants
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2005, 10:13:32 »
Rain water is best as it's lowest in nutrients.

Also make sure you provide a slope to give easy access for little creatures and a way to get out in case anything should fall in. You could also put some stones around the edge with nocks for the frogs to hide in between. Or even terracotta pots on their side will do.

As the surrounding plants will be in normal soil - i'd go for something that mimics natural water edge plants, such as grasses (that's what I have round my pond anyway!) This will also give some protection to the frogs as they go in and out of the pond.

also get a non-invasive oxygenator and you can even get waterlillies that are suitabel for tiny ponds.
gone to pot :D

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2005, 16:00:16 »
I have bought some irises for around my pond and some reeds and a small water lily for my pond. My pond already has oxygenating weed and some other submerged plants, I don't know what they are but they seem to be growing well. If you know someone with a pond see it they can donate some pond plants to you. I've got some arum lilies at home so I'll take a few to go around the pond at my allotment. And like Aqui says, I'm on the look out for grasses, they're especially useful during winter otherwise there's no cover for the frogs and other critters.
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2005, 21:40:12 »
I bought a couple of oxygenating plants today whilst at the garden centre. There were only two to choose from anyway. The garden centre didn't have any floating plants so I need to go to an aquatic centre...oh the hardship!! I've put the plants in and a few fancy pebbles. It's starting to take shape. Need the rocky bits or the terracots pots like you suggested Aqui.

I hadn't thought about grasses for the surrounding area,shall have to have a peruse to see what I like. Thanks Aquilegia and Jeeseveve.

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
    • my work yes-it really does count as a job.....
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2005, 20:05:24 »
i've just got a tin bath that i am going to furnish with plants and fish-its slightly larger at one end and about 37"in total-i cant wait to get it started-but i'm looking for a really dwarf lily..
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2005, 20:22:47 »
Kitty, I bought a dwarf lily from:

http://www.bromfieldaquatics.co.uk/store/erol.html

It's a yellow lily called Pygmeae Helvola, but they have lots of other colours. Waiting for delivery now, can't wait!
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
    • my work yes-it really does count as a job.....
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2005, 20:47:15 »
thanks for that-i've just googled up waterlilies and that one was the best site-i'm deliberating between a couple of diddy ones-but i think i like the variable coloured 'aurora'..
exciting isn't it? ;D
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2005, 21:53:20 »
Thanks from me too Jesseveve!

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2005, 10:37:11 »
Cor thanks Jess, added that one to my favorites!
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Moggle

• Hectare
  • My island home is waiting for me
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2005, 14:30:20 »
I have just become interested in wildlife ponds, and am really keen to have one! But my current accommodation situation won't allow it, and we aren't likely to move to somewhere with a garden any time soon either.

So I want to have one on my allotment, but I'm not allowed to dig and line one, so I may be doing the same as Heldi, using something above-ground. I didn't even know what a butler sink was until I googled an image  :) I will keep my eye out for one of these at the tip shop!

Could any of you pond experts suggest anything else that could be used for a small pond?
Lottie-less until I can afford a house with it's own garden.

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2005, 14:39:33 »
Moggle - anything that'll hold water and can give access to amphibians will work.

How about a lined barrel/pot, an old bath tub, a large storage box... absolutely anything. The trick is to make ramps into the water and down to the floor to provide access.

A skip dive is probably the order of the day...
gone to pot :D

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2005, 16:26:27 »
I have even seen large plastic plant pots used!  (holes undrilled of course!)
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal