Author Topic: gooseberrys  (Read 3459 times)

waggi

• Hectare
    • wagalicious
gooseberrys
« on: March 21, 2005, 12:30:36 »
we have loads of bushes on our allotment and i havent a clue what to do with the fruit anyone any ideas?

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
Re: gooseberrys
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2005, 12:55:38 »
Waggi, Gooseberry crumble, Gooseberry pie, gooseberry fool, ice cream,jam, you can also team them up with meat..............I am sure there are loads more ideas out there! Try putting Gooseberry recipes into google. Making my mouth water just thinking about them!  DP  ;D
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2005, 22:24:27 »
Just as they are, in a bowl, me sitting in the sun, cold glass of vino, shades on, listening to the bees.........happy summer days. 

In case you didn't realise, ADORE goosegogs!

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2005, 19:54:44 »
Eating guzgogs, listening to bees.  What I hear no bees!  Found out that lotty bloke has flogged em all including the ones on the In Bloom lotty that I was helping to look after.  We had two hives which were coming on lovely and were expecting our first honey this summer.  We even bought a suit!  I could have cried when I found out.  :'( :'( :'(
I came, I saw, I composted

Plottie

• Half Acre
  • MMM , Raspberries !!!
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2005, 11:21:54 »
I'm with EJ on this one....goosegogs are definitely my FAVOURITE fruit (closely followed by raspberries) and I prefer to eat them raw.  We go to a fruit farm each year when the goosegogs are in season and pick loads - all for eating as they are.

As I only got my allotment last summer and there were no fruit bushes on it I have planted 9 goosegog bushes, lots (can't remember how many) of autumn fruiting rasps (some bought, some donated by my lovely lottie neighbour) and 8 summer fruiting rasps.............so I'm looking forward to reaping what I've sown!

Roll on summer!! ;D
Plottie

simon404

• Hectare
    • Simon's Allotment
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2005, 21:39:16 »
 ??? anybody - how d'you make crumble. I remember its easy but i've forgotton anyway  :P

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2005, 22:33:48 »
8oz flour
4oz margarine (block margarine straight from the fridge)
4oz sugar

Place flour in a large bowl, cut marg into small pieces then rub in with fingertips (can be done in a food processor) until mixture looks like breadcrumbs.  Stir in sugar.  It is now ready to pour over the fruit in an ovenproof dish, smooth the top, and bake at 200 deg C for 20-30mins.

You can use 50% wholemeal flour and brown sugar or add some oats of chopped nuts to add to the flavour if you like.  I just love crumble!

simon404

• Hectare
    • Simon's Allotment
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2005, 17:01:45 »
Thanks Tulippa  :)

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2005, 17:11:25 »
Gooseberry wine (who me?) Not tried it yet -but when the bushes come on ;D

Jeremy

Mothy

• Hectare
  • My 4th season on my Lottie in Leicestershire.
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2005, 23:51:41 »
Cheers folks, we've just planted some gooseberries..... :P

slugcatcher

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2005, 06:36:51 »
i have heared they make really good wine and have nick name of "the hairy grape"

Anyone got a good recipe, if I have time I might try and make some.

Ron
Dont screw up the best things in life cos you dont know who you are, or where you are going !!

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2005, 10:33:42 »
There's a lovely red goosegog called Pax and I bet that would make a good wine.  I'll have to give it a go.

It must make lovely wine as there are plenty of versions in the shops.  Perhaps you can google and find one

Good luck
I came, I saw, I composted

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal