Author Topic: Pond of activity!  (Read 3239 times)

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
Pond of activity!
« on: March 21, 2005, 10:39:46 »
I am a happy little bunny.

On Saturday, while taking a break from digging the new raised beds, Mr Aqui and I sat for a while watching the pond.

There was one little frog/toad merrily sunning itself sitting on some weeds in the shallows and then Mr Aqui noticed another one sat on the bottom of the marginal shelf. They both looked so peaceful we could've watched them for hours. But digging called us back...

A while later, we took another break and I noticed this stringy black stuff. I thought it was rubbish that'd blown in. But fortunately before I fished it out, I realised it was toad spawn!!! ;D

I'd read that toads like big, deep ponds for breeding, which ours is not! So I'm really happy.

Then we spotted the two amphibians (there is some debate about whether they were frogs or toads - I can only tell on dry land!) were enjoying a piggyback ride in the shallows! I was hoping to spot some frog spawn on Sunday, but unfortunately there was none. and no more toad spawn either, so their identity shall forever remain a mystery!

And the final icing came when we spotted a little newt swimming about busily. I have never seen a newt before at all and didn't expect to get any in the pond, so I was bouncing about with joy!

Feathery creatures have also been making use of the pond. Last week at 8am when I was on the bench sowing some seeds, a pigeon had a hearty breakfast from the bird table, followed by a long drink from the pond. And I've also seen magpies collecting mud from the shallows for nest building.

I love having a pond!
gone to pot :D

Simon05

• Half Acre
Re: Pond of activity!
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2005, 20:03:57 »
aquilegia

I know what you mean, I could watch the pondlife for ages, saw 5 newts yesterday and about 20+ frogs, once there are tadpoles they dont last long, too many dragonfly larvae keep eating them, also blackbirds eat tadpoles like sweets if you dont cover the pond

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2005, 10:11:44 »
Aquilegia,

Your pond sounds absolutely lovely. To think you even have a newt is amazing! I mean ,where did it come from?!  Isn't nature just fab. :)

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
    • my work yes-it really does count as a job.....
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2005, 17:09:05 »
what i want most in the garden is a load of newts-i think they just move in-which in itself is flattering and amazing..but i hope to get a pond going quite soon and then ......
hopefully......
newt city!
kitty
x
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2005, 09:41:09 »
More pond watching yesterday revealed...

We now have about three times as much toad spawn as we had at the weekend!

There are definitely at least two newts (so hopefully even more soon!)

We have fresh-water shrimp  :o

The snails are still in the pond.

And there's some blanket weed. grrr. (I tried to remove some, but the toad spawn was tangled in it, so I left that bit.)

Also while clearing up dead leaves from the borders I found a horrible looking slimy green thing. But then I realised it was a toad. With four eyes? No - two toads mating in the bushes. They were later sat in the middle of the pond doing there thang. There was also an o*gy of ladybirds. I'm so glad nature likes my garden!

Margaret

• Hectare
  • My precious granddaughter Lauren
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2005, 16:22:38 »
Hi Aqui

I really hate to dampen your enthusiasm but just be aware that once the toad tadpoles get guzzling they will suck every bit of life out of your snails.They are greedy little beggars and also not averse to frog taddies if they are bigger than the frog tadpoles.Seen it happen.

Also 2 newts will very quickly become 22 and 122 within 2 or 3 seasons.Now this may be exactly what you want but they do breed extremely well,unlike frogs,as they are much less likely to be eaten!

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!! ;D ;D
Margaret

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2005, 16:40:56 »
Thanks for the warning Margaret!

That's sort of what I want with the newts! I built the pond for nature. She can do what she wants with it (as long as she doesn't cover the thing in blanket weed!)

I plan on chucking in a few (dozen) slugs each date once the taddies get to that stage.

I'm beginning to think we don't have any frogs. There's not a sign of frog spawn.

Margaret

• Hectare
  • My precious granddaughter Lauren
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2005, 20:14:23 »
If you don't mind a little more advice,i would resist the temptation to chuck in the slugs.Despite what i said ,if they don't eat them they will rot and pollute the pond.Leave the slugs for the adult toads and possible frogs,and even the newts will eat the smaller slugs..I have beautiful hostas every year without a single hole purely down to my adult amphibians.Tadpoles are best fed on a little flake fish food each day if you have a lot.But don't deny your adults the slugs,they just love them. I go out into my front garden and collect them for mine(yes I know,all the neighbours think i'm potty as well) ;D
Margaret

quinny

• Quarter Acre
    • http://sitebuilder.wanadoo.co.uk/servlets/creat_frame?mode=modifsite&site=allaboutquinn
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2005, 20:39:01 »
Hi Aquilegia,

I'd love some toad spawn - that would be excellent.  My father-in-law tells me that it's toad spawn you want as toads come back to the same spawning site year after year.  Frogs don't.  I think newts may do the same also. 

I had a wee look in my pond at about 10 last night and there were 5 newts!!!  If they breed as much as Margaret says I'll be delighted.  I've got a bundle of frog spawn and I'm watching it develop. 

I had a dragonfly last year that was a result - azure blue - most beautiful thing I've ever seen and it was outa my pond!!

There's also loadsa water boatmen - I think I read they bite!! They look great also though.  My fist Lilly pads are out also. 

Summer's coming!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal