Author Topic: Salt Cod Vegetable Soup  (Read 3160 times)

gazza1960

• Hectare
Salt Cod Vegetable Soup
« on: October 18, 2014, 00:43:37 »
Salt cod has a unique taste that adds depth of flavour to various dishes,the cod is normally salted for days or longer but this "quick" version is done over 8 hours,naturally the flesh will have tightened so once salted just run each fillet under a tap for a couple of minutes to soften the fillets and remove the excess salt......job done..!!!!!

To get started..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lay 4 cod fillets onto a tray of sea salt and cover with plenty of salt on top.

Cover in shrink wrap and fridge for the day !!!!!!!

This quick curing of the fish is enough to impart the unique flavour that's is found from this process
and my taste buds Luv it  !!!!!!!!!! and when added to the vegetables and cooked stock this
is a bluddy tasty bowl of soup.

INGREDIENTS...................................

4 Fillets of Cod...(salted)
Raw Prawns (optional)
Fresh Mussels (optional)
3 carrots peeled and chopped small
1 Large Leek Sliced and chopped small
2 pieces of celery chopped small
1/2 Fennel Bulb chopped small
1/2 Large Onion chopped small
1/2 Red chilli seeded and chopped small
2 cloves Garlic Sliced
1 tin chopped tomatoes
1 Tbsp Tomato Puree
1 Pint Chicken Stock
200ml Dry White Wine
1 tsp Smoked Paprika
pepper to taste
Olive Oil
Juice of 1 Lemon

Heat some oil on a low heat in a Wok/Pan and soften the Onion and Garlic....after a few minutes
add the remaining vegetables and cook on a low heat for 15 to 20 mins till cooked through and golden in colour.

Now add the white wine and cook on a high heat for 2 minutes  !!!!!!!

then add the chopped tomatoes and the chicken stock and bring to the boil then reduce the heat
to a simmer.

Submerge the fish fillets under the stock for 5 mins on simmer.

then add the Raw Prawns and Mussels.....cook till the Prawns are cooked through and the Mussels fully opened  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...season well to taste and stir the soup through.

Serve in a large bowl   ...drizzle with Olive Oil and add a splash of Lemon Juice !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Enjoy

"""Salt Cod Vegetable soup"""

Gazza :blob7:

Silverleaf

• Hectare
  • Chesterfield, clay, acidic
    • The Rainbow Pea Project
Re: Salt Cod Vegetable Soup
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2014, 03:15:53 »
Looks good!

I'm not big on salty foods though - does the fish taste really salty? Like as salty as salted peanuts or ready-salted crisps?

gazza1960

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2014, 10:45:44 »
Cured fish and meats to my tastebuds do have a salty taste,hence this quick version doesn't immerse the fillets for too long so the curing effect isn't as intense.

Once cured I make sure the fillets are washed well or you can lay them in a dish of water to release
The saltiness.......but remember this method IS to impart a salty flavour to the fish else I't would just be cooked in the soup stock as is......and nothing wrong with that.....as Jude isn't a salt cod fan and prefers that I cook her fillets normally,I just have to adjust the seasoning.

I would say try to cure a shop brought cod fillet and immerse it in water then cook it in some
Chicken stock it would answer your question as to if your tastebuds enjoy it.

Silverleaf

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2014, 11:27:04 »
I'll certainly have a go, thank you!

I often find smoked fish, especially haddock and kippers, to be very salty which I'm not keen on - I assume they are cured before smoking. I do love the smoke flavour though.

gazza1960

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2014, 10:20:00 »
AFTER YOU HAVE SOAKED THE SALTYNESS FROM THE FISH.......

I said chicken stock.....but ...DOH...I meant Chicken noodle soup...just cook the soup and then lay the salted fillets in the
soup when it comes off the boil.....then simmer with the lid on till you can break the fillets into chunks.

Then dig in and see "if" its your thing.

yer,Jude is buying me a smoker but again she doesn't like smoked food....or at least it doesn't like her...but I do, as all my fishing friends smoke lots of fish products that ive tried ...so want to try it too.

Oh the best tip I was given by a friend is to soak the smoked fish fillets in milk as it lessons the smoke effect....you can do exactly the same with the salt fish Silverleaf.,,,,and it does work....as I said before jude isn't a salt fish fan so I have to faff about a bit to keep her
fed without her not eating the meal.

..........sorry,naggin on now......I also "if in the mood" like to soften large chunks of winter veggies and add it to the Noodle soup
so you then have a type of Chowder ,,,,then add the fish fillets and simmer in the soup....if im having a "fat day" I will add
some single cream at the end as that also takes the edge of the saltyness/smokiness.

Silverleaf

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2014, 10:25:18 »
Thanks, that's great advice!

You've just reminded me of how much I love cullen skink. I really need to make that again some time.

And I would absolutely love a smoker but I wouldn't use it often enough to be worthwhile, I think.

gazza1960

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2014, 10:57:14 »
mmmmmmmm    me too, my mate lives in Aberdeen and sent me a Cullen skink recipe ages ago of which is really tasty.

cheers for the reminder as that will be a fish recipe addition some time soon.

Silverleaf

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2014, 11:56:03 »
I think cullen skink might be my favourite soup, apart from possibly avgolemeno (Greek egg lemon soup). Hard to decide between them!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal