Author Topic: Terra preta/Biochar... anyone got any experience?  (Read 1433 times)

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
Terra preta/Biochar... anyone got any experience?
« on: July 06, 2014, 17:03:31 »
Has anyone tried using a terra preta (aka biochar) technique?.... I can get my hands on a regular supply of chicken poo and was wondering about mixing it with burnt weeds (the only way to dispose of bindweed that I have that works is to build a small fire in an incinerator and then chuck the bindweed in), however it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to get hold of more boichar by using a rocket stove burning pallet wood (I live in Swindon, my allotment is approx half a mile form my home, I ride my bike through three industrial estates to get there, I can get pallets...) I'd probably use a mixture of prunings and other "hard" waste like sweetcorn stalks... one thought I had was to use it in the greenhouse, I need to replace the top of the soil this year anyway, I'd rather grow in the ground for my tomatoes and peppers, if nothing else it simplifies the watering arrangement massively but after a while the soil becomes less productive growing the same crop..... the old greenhouse soil will go onto where the potatoes are this year as they're the same group of plants

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Re: Terra preta/Biochar... anyone got any experience?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2014, 09:16:00 »
I did a bit of an experience with charcoal the year before last.  I had four squares two with charcoal and two without.   Grew beans on it but did not see a huge amount of difference.  Then I sowed the area with wheat as a green manure and within quite a short time it was easy to see the charcoaled areas because the wheat plants were twice the size and very healthy looking, and it was easy to see the edges of the squares.

But in the end I came to the conclusion that there was a lot of hype surrounding it, maybe trying to dump European human waste on Africa under the name of biochar.

I simply bury the hard waste from sweetcorn and brassicas and plant the next crop of sweetcorn or strawberries on top.   

Having lumps of charcoal in the soil does not improve the digability.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal