Author Topic: What's eaten my parsley?  (Read 1614 times)

royforster

• Not So New ...
  • Gardening in SW France
What's eaten my parsley?
« on: July 01, 2014, 10:28:31 »
We bought some parsley in pots, as germination of our seed has been almost non-existent. The parsley plants were transplanted into the herb bed and settled in well. However yesterday we discovered that they have been completely eaten with just the base of the stalks visible at ground level. We are in an open aspect in SW France, with wildlife wandering through the garden especially at night. I'm guessing that it's been eaten by a mammal with teeth, but wonder if some sort of voracious insect might be responsible.
Can anyone suggest what might be the culprit so that I can try and protect the next lot?
Thanks in advance
Roy

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
Re: What's eaten my parsley?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 07:46:17 »
So frustrating and disappointing when plants get destroyed like that. Usual culprits here for eating stuff are mice, slugs and snails. Cut worms can do quite a bit of damage too. How big were your parsley transplants? Any signs of slime or gnawing?
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 08:35:59 »
Normally parsley is pretty immune.  You must have gourmets, whatever it was.  Do you have rabbits about?

Please try again.  Parsley being eaten is not common as far as I know.

Mikeakabigman

• Half Acre
  • Haslemere, Surrey
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 09:41:49 »
Sounds like Rabbits to me, I lost a row of Parsley plants in the same way, just the stumps left behind. I actually caught the little blighters at it early one morning. That was before I'd got my plots totally fenced.

Our site only has Deer fencing around it, so individual plots have to be fenced against the Rabbits.
Kind regards

Mike.
My blog.   http://mikeyoungarps.blogspot.co.uk

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2014, 12:02:38 »
We have deer and they do not seem to bother with parsley, but when I had a pet rabbit I never had parsley.  Some varieties seem to last better than others.  One type got hooved off my slugs.

royforster

• Not So New ...
  • Gardening in SW France
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2014, 16:29:30 »
Sounds like Rabbits to me, I lost a row of Parsley plants in the same way, just the stumps left behind. I actually caught the little blighters at it early one morning. That was before I'd got my plots totally fenced.

Our site only has Deer fencing around it, so individual plots have to be fenced against the Rabbits.
We don't get rabbits, but we do get the occasional hare wandering through. Perhaps that's it. I've bought some more pots of parsley today from the market and will try putting cloches over the top.
Thanks everyone for your advice.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal