Author Topic: What do you do when you are not toiling the soil.  (Read 8074 times)

ACE

• Hectare
What do you do when you are not toiling the soil.
« on: May 25, 2014, 10:58:47 »
Gardens and allotments are a full time occupation but all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. What do you do in your 'spare time'?

Here's a couple of hints from me.

Palustris

• Hectare
Re: What do you do when you are not toiling the soil.
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2014, 11:39:45 »
Recover!
Gardening is the great leveller.

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2014, 12:38:09 »
ACE Do you ever get people who are frightened of Morris Men?  We had
them at our first Summer Fayre and they were absolutely brilliant but when
I told someone afterwards she said that they scared the s**t out of her!
I think it might be like some people have a phobia about clowns.

When I'm not toiling the soil I am usually doing allotment admin or
checking emails, or looking at facebook etc.  Quite boring I suppose.

Forgot to say..... lavishing time and care on my Micra.  :tongue3:
« Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 12:50:29 by Squash64 »
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

Yorkshire Lass

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2014, 12:46:06 »
Bake cakes and experiment with other recipes for  meals.  The family love it all.
Anne

alkanet

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2014, 12:51:10 »
i do the same as ACE

take pictures of hairy blokes and other people's motor-cycles

Pescador

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2014, 13:36:59 »
Brew chutney, pickle and preserves, and (very unfortunately) a full time job at a large supermarket!
Like us on Facebook. Paul's Preserves and Pickles.
Miskin, Pontyclun. S. Wales.
Every pickle helps!

hippydave

• Hectare
  • Retford. Notts
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2014, 15:15:54 »
im rebuilding a 1979 seires 3 Landrover in-between work and the plot.
you may be a king or a little street sweeper but sooner or later you dance with de reaper.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2014, 16:08:35 »
Ballroom dancing, salsa and line dancing, dog walking, sewing, cooking, baking.  Used to do horse riding but dodgy back put paid to that.
Obxx - Vendée France

small

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2014, 18:05:16 »
I read Victorian/Edwardian novels and do cryptic crosswords. And spend far too much time on the internet.

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2014, 18:26:03 »
Restore (preferably) Merry Tillers. Got to know them well and the engines are very reliable. Engine parts are easily obtainable.
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2014, 20:02:32 »
I also play Scrabble on facebook.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2014, 20:22:31 »
Is that the wife with the stripy socks brandishing a stick at you Ace!? :violent1:

I have taken up writing e-books about things I have learned from experience and my mentors.

I see it as placing stuff that I have learned, particularly about gardening,down for posterity so that future generations don't have to go to all the troubles I had in pre-internet days in trying to find out when and what to do in the garden and on the allotments.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2014, 22:09:52 »
Playing the recorder with the U3A and volunteering with the national trust.  I do love table tennis but my partner has given up.  Need to find a new one. 

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2014, 00:25:37 »
I also do bits of DIY and do up old furniture for use in the house or garden but I'd really like to learn to weld so I can make my own iron obelisks and plant supports.

Any handy people out there who can tell me what I need to have a go or do I need classes?
Obxx - Vendée France

Silverleaf

• Hectare
  • Chesterfield, clay, acidic
    • The Rainbow Pea Project
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2014, 02:06:28 »
I sing in three choirs, knit, crochet, make mixed-media art jewellery mostly in polymer clay and resin, cook/bake play roleplaying games (Dungeons and Dragons and the like), and play lots of modern board games. I also make my own board games.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2014, 07:33:05 »
I also do bits of DIY and do up old furniture for use in the house or garden but I'd really like to learn to weld so I can make my own iron obelisks and plant supports.

Any handy people out there who can tell me what I need to have a go or do I need classes?

Arc welders are cheap to buy and cheap to run, but for fine work like plant supports you really should use a mig welder which will not burn your metal away so easily. These cost a bit more to run as they need a bottle of CO2 gas, unless you buy really expensive flux core welding wire.

All these are dangerous to use and one false move can burn out the retina in your eyes. Go to the local tec college and get a few classes, it's not rocket science, but they will at least teach you the safety bit first.

pumkinlover

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2014, 07:50:34 »
Spin, knit, crochet, starting to learn to weave. Finishing the quilt I made as a present 3 years ago and still needs quilting. Bake, make wine, like Squash allotment stuff.
Looking after the rabbits (taking one of them to the vets every bank holiday!!) would like to say cycling and walking in the wonderful Derbyshire countryside but not had time much for them. Now I am only a pillion on the old Beemer (used to be mine but gave it to OH as too heavy for me!)
Oh and work ..............but not for much longer ..........4 more shifts to go :icon_cheers:
by the looks of our activities how do we find time to garden :wave:

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2014, 08:00:36 »
I like this thread...love to get to know what you all are up to. Even 'soil stuff' is nice to do...one cannot spend entire life nose in it.

As for me, well...once the necessary 'evils' are out of way...housework and paid work, then there is beekeeping, dog keeping,chicken keeping and husband keeping... :toothy10:
What ever time is left after that I like to do some woodcarving(mainly simple things into kitchen..spatulas, butter knifes etc), woolly 'stuff' (knitting, spinning, washing sheep fleeces..etc.) or what ever takes my fancy...I get my fingers on all manner of craft things.
Recently I've done spot of beadwork, bought old Finnish spinning wheel and I'm just middle of restoring that to working order, been carving shawl pins...sewing...

"tinker of all trades but never true master of anything..." = that's me :drunken_smilie:
Here is some things that I'm 'tinkering' with...
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 08:17:21 by goodlife »

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2014, 09:13:23 »

Oh and work ..............but not for much longer ..........4 more shifts to go :icon_cheers:

Is that finishing for good? we will not call you a pensioner :tongue3: But if you think you had time to do things before, you wait until you retire, still not enough hours in the day.

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2014, 09:21:06 »
I like going away in the caravan.  Hubby and I have recently taken up shore/pier fishing but haven't caught anything yet.

I also spend far too much time on the Internet and play MultiPopword.  Several years ago, someone on here put up a link to the site and I have cursed them ever since!  It does keep the mind active though.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal