Author Topic: What do you do when you are not toiling the soil.  (Read 8071 times)

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
Re: What do you do when you are not toiling the soil.
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2014, 12:20:17 »
Aside from working as a busy IT manager for a large independent school and doing the garden/plot (which doesn't leave that much time!) I love cycling - both watching it on the telly and riding my nice new carbon framed bike.  Did  challenge a couple of weekends ago to climb 2.5 km upwards which was difficult as there are many decent climbs nearby.  Also walking - SE London isn't far from the green bits and we walk either in or out of town every couple of weeks.

Naturally I spend a lot of time on a PC - still love playing games but spend more time on news and tech sites these days.  Reading - since my near sight has started to go I have read less and less but trying to remember to take my glasses with me and changing the font size on my ebook I have started to get back into that - lots of science fiction and popular science stuff plus I read New Scientist most weeks.

Just getting into yoga which I have found to be great - thought it would be accompanied by a load of woo woo nonsense but it is a great way to keep fit/flexible and to learn to concentrate/focus.  Other than that Rugby in the winter and cricket in the summer.  Went to Cardiff on Saturday to see Sarcens V Toulon and generally try to get to the oval or Lords  to see a game once or twice a season.

Making bread, cooking, jams and chutney making, photography all feature throughout the year.  Have given up the wine making due to access consumption!

My wife was just telling me to get some indoor hobbies for the winter as I get a bit grumpy when I can't get outside!  Any suggestions??

« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 12:24:10 by BarriedaleNick »
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2014, 13:57:18 »
Thanks Ace.  I'll have to have a look around as there are no such classes in my local town.  Looks like I'll have to try Geoff Hamilton's recipe for wooden ones to keep me going till next year.
Obxx - Vendée France

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2014, 15:58:56 »
ACE Do you ever get people who are frightened of Morris Men? 

Some people can be frightened of things that cannot possibly hurt them. Nothing that a good kick up the backside won't cure. Although I do get a bit nervous of Nissan Micra(spit) drivers :toothy10:

Load of people seem to be doing lots of stuff, seems gardening might just be a sideline to some of them. I am also a member of a celihd band, run a monthly folk club, sea fishing, caravanning, bird watching, writing a book (doesn't everyone) and I drive the missus crazy by trying to learn a new musical instrument every year, crumhorn this year.

I do have a yearning to try hang gliding, but her foot has been firmly put down on that one.

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2014, 16:48:55 »
Apart from working full time, I also do a lot of cooking and bread baking, reading. I also sing (just taking lessons but my teacher might do a choir next year and I am quite game for that) and play piano (badly) and have taken up jogging, which I try to do a couple of times a week.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

pumkinlover

« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2014, 20:22:29 »
We are an interesting lot!! Love your utensils GL!!

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2014, 20:23:57 »
I sing in two choirs and we have a campervan so get away in that when we can. And work full time :(

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2014, 23:10:20 »
Anything craft related. Making candle holders for the garden with glass jars and beads and wire at present.
Now learning the ukulele but need to practise a lot more to keep up!
Bridge.
Smile, it confuses people.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2014, 23:21:03 »

Utensils? ..shawl pins they are...though supposed they would do chop stick job.. :tongue3: :icon_cheers:

Here is some of the proper 'utensils'..
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 23:23:19 by goodlife »

Silverleaf

• Hectare
  • Chesterfield, clay, acidic
    • The Rainbow Pea Project
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2014, 01:53:04 »
Hey Pumpkinlover, you're really close to me! I live in Upper Newbold. :)

pumkinlover

« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2014, 07:33:04 »

Utensils? ..shawl pins they are...though supposed they would do chop stick job.. :tongue3: :icon_cheers:

Here is some of the proper 'utensils'..

Duh..........!

Hi Silverleaf, I'm on Brockwell allotments maybe you would like to visit sometime (when it stops raining and I have tidied it up!!!)

Silverleaf

• Hectare
  • Chesterfield, clay, acidic
    • The Rainbow Pea Project
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2014, 17:31:27 »
Hi Silverleaf, I'm on Brockwell allotments maybe you would like to visit sometime (when it stops raining and I have tidied it up!!!)

Ooh, that sounds lovely, I can definitely do that. :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal