Author Topic: What to do with a glut of parsnips & carrots.  (Read 7315 times)

George the Pigman

• Hectare
  • Birmingham, neutral clay soil
What to do with a glut of parsnips & carrots.
« on: March 29, 2014, 22:41:40 »
I have just dug up all last years parsnips & carrots - the best year for these crops I have ever had -and there are loads of them. The parsnips are still fine but there is some carrot root fly damage on the carrots but you can peel it off.
Any suggestions what I could do with them?

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
Re: What to do with a glut of parsnips & carrots.
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2014, 22:53:08 »
Made some soup, fry onion and parsnips (chopped) and carrots for 3 mins in butter.  Stir in curry powder (l teaspoon) and ground cumin (0.5 teaspoon).  Add chicken or veg. stock and cook for 35 mins.  Puree in blender .
Return to pan and adjust seasoning (add cream and paprika if you wish).
We ate too much so didn't need any dinner after.  If you cook too much freeze it.
Loads of recipes on WW.vegbox-recipes.co.uk
Was parsnip soup but added the carrots and was very tasty.  Curry powder makes it, I think.

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2014, 22:54:43 »
Add another www.vegbox-recipes. (sorry).

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2014, 00:03:23 »
Send them to me!  I adore parsnips yet never manage to grow them. 

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2014, 07:23:35 »
Soup, wine, they will keep sometime in the fridge.  If they get a bit woody a pressure cooker will soon sort them out.

I adore parsnips yet never manage to grow them. 
  Now is the time to sow, why not start another thread for some suggestions.

strawberry1

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2014, 08:52:33 »
part cook and freeze the parsnips

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2014, 09:47:15 »
I once stayed in a rickety Boulogne gite with 4 teenagers; our landlord showed us his barn full of gigantic carrots and told us to help ourselves. The teenagers went mad for a sort of bake I made out of them and insisted on it every day and scraped the dishes clean. Might not appeal to all, but it was a thick cheese and onion sauce poured over boiled chunks of carrot, pieces of tuna from tins, a layer of potatoes on top, grated cheese and butter, any further veg and herbs you might have, and 20 minutes or so in an oven.

ed dibbles

• Hectare
  • somerset/dorset border. clay loam.
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2014, 16:59:50 »
Make wine from them. Parsnips make one of the best country wines of all. :icon_cheers:

To be honest I par boiled and froze the last of this years parsnips which will be of great use when the "hungry gap" comes along.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 17:03:24 by ed dibbles »

kippers garden

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2014, 08:18:49 »
part cook and freeze the parsnips

I don't bother part cooking them, I just peel, wash and chop them up as I normally would ready for roasting and then I freeze them on a tray.  When they are frozen I bag them up (this way they don't stick together in the bag).

I then roast as normal from frozen.

This way you can have parsnips for your Sunday dinner all through the summer too.

Another thing you can make is Parsnip cake which is lovely and moist ( abit like carrot cake)  or parsnip crisps are really nice.  You can find the recipes on the link below (just scroll down the page):

http://notjustgreenfingers.wordpress.com/recipe-index/

This is my simple living UK blog:  http://notjustgreenfingers.wordpress.com/

Follow me if you enjoy reading it!

Silverleaf

• Hectare
  • Chesterfield, clay, acidic
    • The Rainbow Pea Project
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2014, 11:53:38 »
Parsnip cake? Genius!!

small

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2014, 13:26:37 »
I'm another of the freeze in chunks brigade. If they don't get eaten by the time next year's surplus arrives, then they are turned into soup.
Aren't parsnips hard work though - I'm in two minds whether or not to grow them again, I'm not sure if the taste of home grown is much better, and I found digging the last lot this year really difficult.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2014, 00:49:03 »
I've just turned four small parsnips into curried cream of roast parsnip soup.... wash, peel and chip fairly small (smaller than for roasties) the parsnip. Stick in teh microwave with a dash aof water in a covered bowl for 6 minutes or so. WHilst that's happening, pre-heat the oven and a tray with a small amount of oil (less than usual), chop a couple of onions and bash some garlic out of their skins but don't chop them. I also hacked up a dried chilli and could have probably done with another one...over the onions sprinkle some curry spices ... turmeric, coriander, cumin, some fennel seeds, tiny dash of asafoetida, some black onion seeds, paprika, whatever you usually use for curry.... when the parsnips come out of the microwave drain them, mix in the spiced onions and garlic with the chilli and chuc kin a decent thingy of butter broken into small chunks. Stir this in the bowl of parsnips until it's well mixed up and everything is coated in spice adn butter is distributed evenly.... tip into pan and sort into a thick layer, put in the oven for 20 minutes, take out and turn it around a bit then put back for a further  ten.... you'll need three stock cubes worth of stock( I use vege, you don't have to), put the roasted spiced veg in a saucepan, add the stock and blend it, then stir in half a pint of double cream.... adjust seasoning and keep ticking over on a low heat for a few minutes to let it all settle in together... was super-nice with some homemade bread

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal