Author Topic: Who's got a leccy bike  (Read 1605 times)

ACE

• Hectare
Who's got a leccy bike
« on: March 27, 2014, 07:45:29 »
I am toying with getting one as the old tread iron is getting hard work and although my knee was replaced a couple of years ago it does play up if I overdo it and go to far from home.

There are so many with different size batteries, motors, charging rates etc that it gets confusing when you try to make a choice. There is only one shop over here with prices starting over a grand a time. So I'll have to buy one online which will be untried and unseen. It has got to be right first time. One thing I do know is, it has got to have 26" wheels.

PhilB

• Not So New ...
Re: Who's got a leccy bike
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2014, 07:10:03 »
Hi Ace, I've got a Kalkhoff Pro Connect bought in 2010 from http://www.50cycles.com. Its German and was a bit expensive but it got me back in the saddle after years of driving. Its power assisted rather than purely electric which means if the battery runs out I still pedal home. Power is reduced as speed travelled increases so that down hill I use no power but up hill or against a strong wind it gives me higher power assistance. 

Purely electric bikes have a speed limit of about 15 MPH on the roads but are capable of higher speeds off road. When higher speeds are used on cycle tracks they upset walkers and horse riders.

As with electric cars the battery is expensive and has a limited life.

Phil

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2014, 08:01:39 »
I had to look them up, it's the first I've taken notice of an electric bike. Good luck with your search Ace
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

Ian Pearson

• Acre
    • Growing Oca
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2014, 20:31:19 »
Ace, there are quite a few companies on the island that hire them. Could be a good way to try a few before committing to a purchase. Also hire companies often sell off bikes at the end of the season for very reasonable prices. One issue that is not always appreciated is that some are bl**dy heavy - important if you have to lift them up steps, (or get caught with a flat battery and have to pedal up a big hill to get home!).
My advice would be to avoid anything with daft suspension (maintenance issues) or folding mechanisms (extra weight, and bendiness). And I'm with you on the 26" wheels.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2014, 20:01:26 »
Sussed it out. I'm going to build my own. Get a second hand tricycle fit the electric wheel kit and power it with a golf buggy battery which are about £30 instead of the 3 or 4 hundred they want for a bike battery. Will give me a 30 mile range and with a proper cage on the back the dogs can come out with me. Also I will not fall off coming home from the pub.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal