Author Topic: Diabetes  (Read 7145 times)

Paulines7

• Hectare
Diabetes
« on: March 20, 2014, 11:16:22 »
I found out a week or so ago that I have Diabetes 2.  It came as a complete shock though I have since found out that my Aunt also had it.  She had to have her foot amputated and died aged 74.  I didn't know she was diabetic nor that she was only 74 when she died.  My cousin said she wasn't good at keeping to the foods that she was told not to eat.  I will be 70 this year and don't want to follow in her footsteps..........or should I say footstep!

I found it very confusing when first diagnosed as I was getting conflicting information on what to eat.  I am not on medication for it nor do I have to inject myself with insulin.  Mine has to be controlled by diet alone.  I had a consultation with my GP and she said that a meter was not necessary.  However, experienced people on the Diabetes Support Forum that I joined queried how I would know whether a food was affecting me or not when I couldn't test my blood sugar levels.  I went to see the nurse at the practice yesterday and she answered a lot of queries that I had and had no hesitation in giving me a meter. 

Breakfast has been difficult as I don't want to raise my cholesterol levels by having bacon and eggs too often.  The nurse said yesterday that I could have porridge as long as I didn't put sugar or syrup on it.  I don't sweeten mine anyway. 

I wondered if there were other diabetics on here who also have diabetes 2 and are managing it by diet alone?  How have you got on with it and did you also find it a little confusing to start with? 

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
Re: Diabetes
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2014, 11:23:18 »
My neighbour (80) was diagnosed last year, like you he doesn't need medication. He was a big sugar eater but swapped for the fake stuff which was good. His partner was a carer ,with a diabetic daughter so they get lots of advice. He's doing well just watching what he eats, apart from late December when he was shocked to read the monitor which said he was 17. something , they panicked ringing the dr. and contemplating A&E when another neighbour (also diabetic) realised he'd read the digital date instead of his blood reading  :toothy10: :toothy10: :toothy10: Good luck Pauline xx
sanity is overated

Yorkshire Lass

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2014, 12:03:09 »
Hi Pauline. I have diabetes type 2 and have had it for 8 years. i control it by diet alone with no medication at all. It was not easy at first but the main thing is to cut down on the sugar. I find if I eat a healthy diet. Porridge or toast for breakfast, I make veg soup with a roll or a sandwich lunchtime and fish or meat with veg for dinner. I like yoghurts and fresh fruit so thats usually pudding sorted. I have managed to keep it under control by sticking to this. I do wander off the eating regime particularly high days and holidays but I get back on it as soon as I can.  I do have a meter to check my blood glucose levels although my GP says it isn't necessary - it makes me feel in control. Good luck with it I'm sure you'll soon get it sussed out.

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2014, 13:16:48 »
I've got it too, but no drugs yet!  I've tried to lose weight, eat less carbohydrate and move about a bit more.  My last HbA1c was 5.4%, it's come down from a much higher number by doing all this but it is very hard to maintain.  I agree you need a meter, at least in the beginning,  or you don't know what is going on.  I buy the AccuChek mobile unit from Amazon and I would have appreciated help  as it took me a lot of goes to get the hang of using it.  My GP is useless but they do give me the flu jab free every year now.  I'm 53.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 13:18:40 by Ellen K »

vidcare

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2014, 18:30:16 »
Hi I was diagnosed 3 years ago with the same diabetics 2 yes it came as a shock as I am not over weight but good news now I have it under control eating correct food and cutting out the rubbish I cut out sugar and use Truvia as it's replacement also I drink one benecol drink a day and use Benecol spread and I have it under control 

gazza1960

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2014, 19:24:30 »
I'm also type 2 but do take meds whilst trying to diet,but being a healthy eater and a kitchen cookery fan I akin myself more to a wild horse that tries his best to reign himself with portion size and I'm not of the Skool that says you can't eat normally any more,as I prefer to have a little of what does you good in acceptable titbits size......it's not easy ......but as I have worked as a volunteer
In a Diabetic ward and see the effects of the disease in all it's forms I often give myself a good verbal seeing too when I walk out of the ward door,....but hey I don't say that to frighten anybody but just to be realistic that any bodily Ill can bite you if not controlled.

I used my tester to accustom myself to different foods and my 2 pence worth would be to try it over the first six months and monitor and log your bloods 2 hours before and 2 hours after your meals......I've found 5 small meals during the day is the best for me to balance my blood count
So it doesn't spike too high......things to avoid are spikes to high or too low....but all that info will come in time.

As I've moved near you now me dear on payment of a nice cuppa I can pay you and the ol fella
A visit and we can talk fishing and diabetic issues.....oh the joys of life huh.

I wish you well with it .

Any questions ,please ask.

Gazza

Spookyville

• Acre
  • Freezing in West Yorshire...
    • downtheplot
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2014, 21:52:04 »
Type 2 here, diagnosed back in 2002 and was controlling it with diet for several years before moving onto meds.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2014, 22:27:01 »
We should change this forum to 'Diabetes 4all'.. :tongue3:
Another 'official' type 2....but really I'm 1 1/2..or so the nurses keep telling me.

I was in my early 20's when it was found out....and started with diet only, within a year I had to go to medication as it was some other health issues that influenced/caused the diabetes. So now I'm treated like type 1

I soon learned what foods were the 'baddies' causing the blood sugars to go UP and what food combinations would keep the levels steady. There is not that much that I don't eat or need to restrict myself from eating..just being moderate with everything and careful with pasta, bread and rice....particularly shop's bread as home baked don't seem to have same effects.
I'm quite active with dog walking and gardening being at it everyday...so it will allow some amount of sins  :angel11:
Alcohol didn't agree with my diabetes so I left it and only enjoy occasional sniff or taste with little bit whiskey or rum. :drunken_smilie:
I had few years trouble with my health...all being caused by statins...but now I'm getting back to my old self...being able to do more and finding I'm loosing some of my 'girly curves'...oh no..nothing drastic..just 'shaping up'... :tongue3: It never 'go' from where you wanted it to go from anyway... :BangHead:

gazza1960

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2014, 22:41:49 »
Oh sodd it the threads far too real...lest talk more about (Girlie Curves)...... :tongue3:

tilts

• Acre
  • Boom Boom boom Boom Esso blue!
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2014, 08:38:41 »
My husband was diagnosed 3 years ago, but with change of diet and exercise he is fine now, not even the need for medication. good luck :sunny:
Tread softly or you'll tread on my dreams.....Yeats

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2014, 09:20:43 »
I just read a little bit of good news about diabetes.... yes, Gazza, I know you rather talk about something else.. :tongue3:...but here is the news...

Scientist have found in Group of people in Finland, Sweden and Norway, who have some DNA mutation that would normally cause them to get type 2 diabetes in early on in their adulthood, but they didn't get it! That's because they carry other DNA mutation that protect them from this early onset...and now there is strong believe, that because scientist have been able to recognize these genes..it will help them to create specific medication for type 2's that would mimic more of natures own way of protecting the body from the diabetes and with less side effect than conventional medication that is offered at the moment.
 :icon_cheers:
It might not be any help for us but it might prevent lot of misery in future for others.

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2014, 09:31:25 »
My 80 yr old husband was diagnosed with type 2 about 10 years ago and takes medication. He was very surprised to find that all the cereals he tried out for breakfast pushed his sugar level up at once, and like goodlife found that homemade bread was the answer. I push quantities of veg and salads into him, too. For the last 4 years he has given up breakfast (against all advice) to rid himself of his 'girly curves', or as he would put it, to aid "mass reduction", and seems to thrive on it.

I can't say we have changed our food much at all, as we have never been cake and pudding and sweet eaters, and we both cook plain healthy (delicious) food as a matter of course. I notice he is avoiding cheese, but slaps butter onto bread as if plastering a wall....he also loves shop pizzas (cheese or not). His blood sugar is well under control and all health checks bring him back boasting about his low cholesterol and blood pressure. Maybe he is just constitutionally lucky (seldom takes much exercise but annoyingly remains strong and fit).

His diagnosis came about after a blood check, and coincided with a big change in his eyesight needing new glasses - the optician apparently never considered diabetes as the reason for the change, which was negligent.

Make sure when away from home that you always carry some food in case of famine....long periods without food have caused two frightening episodes. He is very stubborn and will not accept that anything went wrong, but I can assure you it did.....

Spookyville

• Acre
  • Freezing in West Yorshire...
    • downtheplot
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2014, 10:17:32 »
The more people that get it the more funding will be pumped into treatments/studies for ways to improve or even cure eventually. SO there's hope going forward in future although not for us possibly!

I actually decided to get an allotment as a direct result of being diagnosed with type 2 as wanted an outdoor hobby that would keep me active regularly. Although took 4 years on a waiting list til we got a plot.

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2014, 11:42:02 »
Thank you all for your replies.  It is interesting to read how many of you have diabetes and how you have managed to control it by diet alone. 

I am already feeling less tired but don't know if my new lease of life is due to the changes in my diet or the fact that the sun has shone a lot more and we are now into Spring.  Maybe a combination of both  :icon_cheers:

Gazza, you, Jude and your Mum are most welcome to come for a cuppa especially after Easter when, hopefully, it will be a bit warmer and we can show you around our garden.    I may even attempt to make some diabetic cake for you to try!  I will be in touch when we get back from our hols in April. 

pg

• Acre
    • Freelance wine writer
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2014, 09:34:55 »
Try diabetes.co.uk

Fantastic & friendly forum where all sorts of issues, not just food, are discussed with many friendly and sometimes scientific answers. Plus lots of discussions on whether low carb diets are the thing or low calorie diets etc.

I don't actually have diabetes but as someone really interested in food I find the discussions really insightful and useful for general dietry advice.

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2014, 11:24:35 »
Try diabetes.co.uk

Fantastic & friendly forum where all sorts of issues, not just food, are discussed with many friendly and sometimes scientific answers. Plus lots of discussions on whether low carb diets are the thing or low calorie diets etc.

I don't actually have diabetes but as someone really interested in food I find the discussions really insightful and useful for general dietry advice.

I joined the Diabetes Support Forum last Monday and I can confirm it really is fantastic and friendly.  I have learnt so much through there. 

timf

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2014, 12:37:28 »
another type 2 here
see if you can get hold of a book called carbs & cals
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Carbs-Cals-Count-Calories-Photos/dp/1908261064/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1396438471&sr=1-1&keywords=cals+and+carbs

will give you most of the info on what to eat, what size portions etc to do diet controlled very well

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2014, 20:25:04 »
another type 2 here
see if you can get hold of a book called carbs & cals
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Carbs-Cals-Count-Calories-Photos/dp/1908261064/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1396438471&sr=1-1&keywords=cals+and+carbs

will give you most of the info on what to eat, what size portions etc to do diet controlled very well

I bought that book along with six other books on GL, diets, menus etc.  I was disappointed with the book you mention as it does not compare weight for weight.  For example, if I want to compare the carbohydrate value of mashed potato with sweet mashed potato, I have to work it all out mathematically.  If only it would give 100g totals it would be far easier. 

For example, mashed potato is shown in weights of 120g, 235g, 355g, 470g, 590g and 705g.  Sweet potato is shown in weights of 55g, 160g and 270g.  Actually, this example is not too difficult because 120g of potato = 18g carbs, so by dividing by 6 and multiplying by 5, I know that 100g = 15g carbs.  I then have to work out the sweet potato.   For this I used the weight 160g which is 33g carbs, so I divide 33g by 160 and multiply by 100 to give me a figure of 20.6g carbs per100g.  I can now compare the two and see that 100g of mashed potato has less carbs than the sweet potato. 
Simples !!!

gazza1960

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2014, 07:14:18 »
I'm pleased to read your finding your way around the eating minefield Pauline,just try not to get too sucked into calory /carb counting as if it's not hard enough to come to terms with a life changing
Health issue,too many books on the subject are so anal about weigh this weigh that you lose sight of what were here for which is living a normal life and by tempering and adjusting our eating patterns you can live with Diabetes (type 2).
My reasoning is simple,when first diagnosed my head was in a spiral,my weight was in free fall I read and digested umpteen books on immediate solutions to a chronic illness that I thought needed 24/7 attention,,,,,,I then went along to a few Diabetic UK members meetings and found the vast majority
Of folks there were 5  or. 10 year sufferers,now,me being a newby assumed my life was over and I was marking time till the enevitable .....but......after sitting down in small groups and discussing
Simple small meal plans containing good healthy food that was balanced to the way it affects my bodies unique new way of coping with sugar( learning curve) I found I relaxed and the self management became easier .......for me a food log .....with testing before and post meals over 6 months created a fantastic template and I showed this to my Diabetic nurse so she could see I was being proactive in learning what foods my body could cope with,without having to resort to drastic portion control,after all any combinations that work some days ,don't work others it's all about learning about your bodies new challenge.....for example if I'm stressed about my health,my bloods sky rocket so I know now to keep to a simple fruit free day,but if I'm depressed those same fruits can perk me up without a serious sugar spike,,,,,it's all about learning and for me those women at those meetings simplified it my stating that acceptance is the key word and they just continued to live a normal life but ate in moderation,drank in moderation but still had a little bit of what does you good as a reward for those days when you've done well,you'll get to know those days Pauline when you're bloods have been well controlled through good food management without the need for scales
And endless counting of every morsal that passes your lips.......sorry,,,,,,life's short enough already,and I don't want to spend my last part of it shuffling through pages of regimented charts designed to frighten the S@@@ out of me,ok,this all may sound a very free and easy way to deal with a life changing illness but I found the more I worried about my food intake and how it was constructed on my plate my bloods wood rise through stress alone,so now I'm more calm in my approach and eat little and oftain  but abstain from those foods that spike my bloods ,but more importantly try and enjoy life again .....anyway,once you've been through the myriad of advise books
The best way is to sit and talk with old hands and glean titbits of information to help you along.
My Diabetic nurse at the time put me in touch with local support groups and I thank her for it today.

Gazza

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2014, 08:12:29 »
Well, I'm convinced that giving up drinking has made the biggest difference for me (though it depends how much you drink!) - my theory being that your liver becomes less fatty with abstinence and your insulin resistance goes in to reverse (or at least neutral).  There, I've said it.  The elephant in the room.

I had also lost all sense of portion control.  I remember hearing this on TV:  the correct portion size for potatoes is 2 hens egg sized spuds.  WHAT?!?!?  Still wrestling with that one  :tongue3:

It's early days yet Pauline, I guess you go back 3 months later and they will remeasure your HbA1C and see if it has improved.  For me, that wasn't really long enough to make the changes and see an effect so I put it off for.... er, quite a bit LOL until I thought I'd given the lifestyle changes a fair test.   It's a hard road but you are not alone and you do find your habits change.  I find cakes too much now and oven chips are revolting but I still can't resist an almond Magnum.  Good luck.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal