Author Topic: Yes, we have no... aubergines?!  (Read 4130 times)

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re: Yes, we have no... aubergines?!
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2005, 13:57:57 »
Baggi - can't answer for the indoor ones (too cool, too wet?), but  I doubt that the greenhouse ones could have been warm enough without a propagator?
And chillies, I think, need even more warmth.

Charlie - misting? I know it's talked about a lot, but I reckon that, without care,  you're as likely to cause scorching or moulding as you are to help setting.  Means nothing, but I have never misted. For toms, I 'rattle' the wires when the petals are wide open. For the others, nothing, & our aubs averaged 20-30 fruit per plant, depending upon variety. As to pests, for whatever reason. we have never had whitefly or red spider (it goes for the cus!) - but plenty of greenfly. These are easily controlled, if the plants are near at hand, by squidging twice a day. Remember that the flaky whiteflyish things early on are probably greenfly sheddings. Whitefly fly - these don't!!

Second thoughts on red spider - don't you find that it occurs mainly in the top growth, where there is less air circulation & moisture, & late in the season when it is not so vital to production? With or without misting, for cus, a good damping down of the flooring is a help - & I don't find that it harms the other things.

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2005, 14:09:03 »
Chrispea       Live near Chesterfield in Derbyshire and grow stuff outdoors as no greenhouse and the chillies did brilliantly.  I think also growing outdoors the plants don't suffer from as many pests.  I got lots of hoverflies (probably cos I don't spray any insecticides about) and they probably eat aphids.   
I came, I saw, I composted

BAGGY

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2005, 22:53:12 »
Just seen your reply Tim.  Thanks for the tips.  Maybe I did do something wrong - maybe I am aubergine cursed.  I can grow fennel and cues no probs yet others on our site had probs last year.  Would you say the white or purple are easier and is there anything in the taste between the two.  Is it too late to do some now on the kitchen window sill (presumabley cling filmed to start em off ?).
Get with the beat Baggy

Charlotte Sometimes

• Half Acre
  • Charlie
    • Charlie's Homepage
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2005, 23:18:35 »
Charlie - misting? I know it's talked about a lot, but I reckon that, without care,  you're as likely to cause scorching or moulding as you are to help setting. 

Second thoughts on red spider - don't you find that it occurs mainly in the top growth, where there is less air circulation & moisture, & late in the season when it is not so vital to production? With or without misting, for cus, a good damping down of the flooring is a help - & I don't find that it harms the other things.

Hmm.  Well, that is what my books say.  (Misting.)  Anyhow... as we know, gardening can not be learnt in books ref: Jean de Floret. LOL  Experience is a superior tutor.

The top of one of my chillies got scorched last year, but I blame that on the poly-carbonate roof on our leanto.  :)  We never had any mould problems, and my instinct is to mist... which means to say I think the plants look sort of err... grateful... afterwards!  Alas I cannot damp down the floor of the leanto as it is not stone but vinyl tiles.  To be on the safe side, perhaps I will mist only when the sun has gone round the other side of the house.

The spider mite I'd agree with you, a late summer problem when everything is past its best... well so far, for me anyhow!  Can't pretend I have years of experience tho.
Interests: Vegetables, Annuals & Songwriting.  Click here to listen to Charlie's songs.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2005, 08:32:36 »
And I was meaning the tops of the cus - ie at roof height, where you can't see the d**n things, & you can't mist 'cos the leaves are touching the glass!!

Charlotte Sometimes

• Half Acre
  • Charlie
    • Charlie's Homepage
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2005, 09:38:05 »
Tee-hee.  Yes, at 5' 1-and-a-bit", I can't reach all that high with the mister anyway.  ;)
Interests: Vegetables, Annuals & Songwriting.  Click here to listen to Charlie's songs.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal