Author Topic: Yes, we have no... aubergines?!  (Read 4131 times)

Charlotte Sometimes

• Half Acre
  • Charlie
    • Charlie's Homepage
Yes, we have no... aubergines?!
« on: March 17, 2005, 11:36:31 »
Yippee!  The sun is here at last and yesterday I went out to Poundstretcher and bought some seeds.  I am a total bargain-hunter and got pepper, tomato, french beans and cauliflower for a great price.  ;D  However, on my travels I completely failed to locate any aubergine seed - cheap or otherwise.

Anyone know of any shops in the South East London area which do cheap aubergine seed?  Our local garden centres are sure to have them, but they will probably be quite dear.
Interests: Vegetables, Annuals & Songwriting.  Click here to listen to Charlie's songs.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re: Yes, we have no... aubergines?!
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2005, 11:58:40 »
How much is too much for how many??

www.realseeds.co.uk do nice ones.

And how many do you want??

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2005, 12:29:48 »
Charlotte how many plants are you planning to grow? I have some seed if you want a few, just PM me your address. DP
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Charlotte Sometimes

• Half Acre
  • Charlie
    • Charlie's Homepage
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2005, 16:47:57 »
Hi Doris, that's very kind of you.  :)  I will PM you in due course.  I was thinking about 8 seedlings - half to be kept under glass, half to go out when its nice and warm (hoping for a blazing summer this year!  ;D).
Interests: Vegetables, Annuals & Songwriting.  Click here to listen to Charlie's songs.

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2005, 17:41:44 »
If they get lost, my offer still stands.

PS What happens at all the other times??

BAGGY

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2005, 18:02:50 »
Are they tricky ?
I have never been ableto 'do' them and the same goes for capsicum & chillis.  I feel like a total failure.  :-[
Get with the beat Baggy

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2005, 18:09:32 »
I had success with aubs for the first time last year, but chillis are no probs!  I have mine all sowed, and they seem to germinate slowely but surely and are really slow to get going, but then suddenly spurt up!  I treat them the same  as my toms.

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2005, 18:20:18 »
I didn't do particularly well with mine last year, they all got red spider mite! :'( (not enough ventilation in my greehouse methinks!) But have been successful in previous years. Tim does really well with his if I remember correctly.  I shall be giving them another go again this year, and Tim, now I am going to have to buy MORE seeds, some of those Aubs look very interesting!! DP

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2005, 18:29:04 »
As I said to Charlie - how many do you want??

We have a small choice.

And Baggy - how do you attempt it? And what goes wrong?

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2005, 18:32:33 »
Tim I only want a few different varieties to try, 2 of each? My space is very limited, sadly! DP

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2005, 19:13:19 »
Address?

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2005, 20:45:19 »
all these offers!!-and here is another one-pm me if you wish.

Stephan

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2005, 23:09:11 »
My mate and I split a packet of cayenne chili peppers and she grews her in the greenhouse and I grew mine in the open.  Hers wouldn't fruit but mine were going great guns and there were loads of fruits.  We thought it must be down to bees or something so she put hers outside and hey presto she got chillies  :)

I've never had a greenhouse and have always managed to grow chillie, toms, aubergines, peppers outside.  Never had much luck with cucumbers though but this year I think it's going to be my year.  I have my instructions from Tim so feel I can't go wrong  ;D
I came, I saw, I composted

chrispea27

• Acre
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2005, 07:00:42 »
Wardy

Which part of the country do you live in?

This must have an effect on your success.
Chris Pea

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2005, 08:57:39 »
In post tomorrow, Deb.

BAGGY

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2005, 09:57:32 »
TIM
Did 'exactly what it said on the tin ' I think. Placed in the greenhouse (unheated) and some on a southfacing windowsill in our kitchen.  The greenhouse ones did not show their heads at all (mice ? - real problem as there is a mouse community in he compost and I'm sure they use it as their local deli).  The indoors ones started off then went all mildewy.  As for Chilli's I have never had any success. I was even given a chilli plant and it got decimated by bugs.  Can I try to plant culinary chilli seeds  My MIL is from Sri Lanka and uses a specific typewhich I don't know the name of.
Get with the beat Baggy

Charlotte Sometimes

• Half Acre
  • Charlie
    • Charlie's Homepage
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2005, 11:21:01 »
My mate and I split a packet of cayenne chili peppers and she grews her in the greenhouse and I grew mine in the open.  Hers wouldn't fruit but mine were going great guns and there were loads of fruits.  We thought it must be down to bees or something so she put hers outside and hey presto she got chillies  :)

I read that the secret to getting them to fruit under glass is frequent misting (to set the flowers).  That is exactly what I did last year and without exception each plant fruited (chillies, toms and aubs).  Either it was beginner's luck, or Dr Hessayon's advice is very good.  :)

The chillies fruited in excess really.  I grew these from seed, on a sunny window sill with a radiator underneath it.  They took their time germinating, but every single seed did, which surprised me a bit.  I am guessing the radiator provides a nice bottom-heat. LOL  Hopefully this will prove a successful technique for toms and aubs too!  ;D  Last year I bought these in from the garden centre as seedlings. 

Red Spider Mite - that can be troublesome.  You can keep it at bay also by constant misting.  Affected plants need more water, but will still fruit if you pamper them.  It was for this reason I didn't attempt to over-winter my chillies... didn't want to over-winter the R.S.Ms either!

Good luck to all with the aubs.  Anyone growing any of the white sort?  I have seen them in the books - rather a novelty - but distinctly un-appetising looking methinks!

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2005, 11:27:02 »
Hi Charlie-you might get a whiteish one. One of the varieties I will send ranges from purple stripes to pure ivory.

Stephan

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2005, 11:44:53 »
What's pretty about purple?? The 'whites' are ace.

Granny_Smith

• Half Acre
  • Of course its me - who else could look like this ?
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2005, 12:39:23 »
I'm growing whites and blacks this year. All seedlings are looking good on the windowsill.
Granny is still your best friend !

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal