Author Topic: 6 x 4 greenhouse foundations  (Read 3426 times)

Tashsteve

• Not So New ...
6 x 4 greenhouse foundations
« on: March 08, 2014, 13:29:34 »
Hello,

I asked for help here last year but never managed to get the greenhouse in before the winter.

It's still in its box and I intend to erect the green house in our allotment in the coming weeks.

I am not the most knowledgable with laying concrete and the such like but I will give anything a go.

Has anyone got any tips and advice on foundations for the greenhouse in dummy terms and I don't  have a clue where to start!

Thanks

bachus1964

• Not So New ...
Re: 6 x 4 greenhouse foundations
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2014, 15:18:50 »
 try using railway sleepers or a sturdy wooden frame as a base so u r able to change your greenhouse position if needed

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2014, 16:57:53 »
I am not the most knowledgable with laying concrete and the such like but I will give anything a go.

Has anyone got any tips and advice on foundations for the greenhouse in dummy terms and I don't  have a clue where to start!
If you want to go the 'concrete route try this;

Setting out;

Stick in four canes/stakes (o) in to form an oblong.

Set them 4'-6" apart at the ends and 6'-6" at the sides.

Measure the diagonals they should be approx 7'-10¾"

String a line around the four canes/stakes.

Assuming the ground is reasonably level excavate a shallow trench (3"_4") deep and around 6"-8" wide inside the line.

Once the trench is dug get some short pegs (p) minimum 6" long and drive one it at one of the corners till it is 3" above the soil at the bottom of the trench.

Drive in more pegs in the other corners and drive them in until they are level with the top of the first peg you drove in.

These will then give you the level for your concrete.

Fill the trench with concrete all the way around so that the top of the concrete is level with the top of the pegs.

Allow the concrete to harden then you are ready to erect the greenhouse!

I hope this helps...Tg

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2014, 17:22:05 »
If you use slabs you'll be able to move it. Inheriting a plot with a greenhouse base where you don't want one is a right pain.

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2014, 17:53:43 »
Consider the height of the greenhouse when built  ,with regard to the available headroom .This is especially relevant if you are taller than average. It is exceedingly wearing to need to work with a stoop and potentially dangerous if you momentarily forget to do so. At the foundation stage,it is relatively simple to add a perimeter row of concrete blocks on edge,gaining 225mm and also allows the raising of soil beds without compromising the glazing.Furthermore, it would allow a pathway above the natural ground level,thereby remaning drier.
Another tip I recommend when assembling,is not to finally tighten any bolts until you have glazed the house, allowing any slight "out of squareness" to be simply rectified.
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

digmore

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2014, 18:22:27 »
Hi,

As with most of the guys, I would not use concrete, if you leave the site and it belongs to the council or private landlord they have the right and may well charge you for bringing the land back into use.

You also, as the others have said, a non permanent base allows you at some stage if reqd to move the g/house to a better spot on your plot.

Subject to the type and quality of the g/house, 6x4 is not a big structure, why not just place it on level ground and peg/sprag it into the soil. Or alternatively inset 4 breeze blocks into the ground at each corner, drill and screw into them through the g/house base.

Digmore.  :wave:

Plot22

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2014, 07:59:53 »
I have a 12' X 8' greenhouse at home. I did not put it on the allotment in case I ever give it up. I used big council slabs and have extended the same area to approximately 24' X 18' in order to put a shed on and it looks well. I originally thought about just putting concrete footings down but I did not ever think I would get them level and if it is not level nothing will fit. The door will not close properly the glass will not fit square. I would always go down the slab route or at a push breeze blocks but they need to be on a solid base. The guy on the next allotment to me just put them on the 4 corners and over time they have moved he has a hell of a job trying to lift his greenhouse to put extra bricks under the rest of the frame. Good luck you will enjoy the greenhouse

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2014, 11:31:40 »
Flags seem to be the order of the day and I would agree a pattern of six two by two flags should be enough. OK there will be gaps between them to obtain the size you want so you could fill this with sand / cement mixture or concrete.

As the others say it is the simplest method particularly if you ever want to move it.

You don't mention what type of greenhouse it is but it might need plugging and screwing to the flags particularly if you are in an exposed area.

Best of luck with your new greenhouse

gavinjconway

• Hectare
    • GavinConway.net - Our Allotment
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2014, 22:06:36 »
I used some concrete fencing posts from freecycle on one of mine and tied tit onto them to stop it blowing away. The other I used some 4x2 timber and pegged it down... dont wast time or money with concrete..   I have no floor on one and plant directly into the ground. The other at home I use pots..
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal