Author Topic: Water Butt  (Read 2224 times)

Spireite

• Half Acre
Water Butt
« on: March 10, 2014, 21:04:39 »
Having bought our water butt late last year, for some reason the guttering on the new shed didn't get attached. :BangHead:

Any way; taking advantage of the weather this weekend Hubby (without being asked :icon_cheers:) connected the guttering and my nice new waterbutt .

It hasn't rained since  :sunny: so you can all blame me for the coming heat wave.
N. Herts, just acquired first allotment in Aug 2014.

gavinjconway

• Hectare
    • GavinConway.net - Our Allotment
Re: Water Butt
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 22:02:24 »
You dont need proper fittings..

Just get a short length of hose pipe and some two part putty mix from the pound shop. Mix the putty and putty in the hose in the gutter and the other end in the tank.. simples..   block the other end of the gutter with putty as well. You can remove the putty if you ever need to with a hammer and a screwdriver.   I putty in a short piece of 1/2" copper piping then put the hose on the copper..
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

Spireite

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 22:41:46 »
Hi Gavin....it took till now to put up the gutter on the shed....connecting said gutter to the butt was relatively easy!!  It's up now and I have no intention of altering it in any way....well until I get my greenhouse and then it may have 2 pipes draining into it....or we might get a second butt.....hmmm have to see :) We even have it raised enough to get the watering can under it easily.   Just so happy that it was dry enough to have got into the garden this last week end.  :happy7:

gavinjconway

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 22:45:58 »
Sorry - i totally missed the second sentence... I thought you wanted info on where to get the fittings... !!! Doh!! :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead:
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

Plot22

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2014, 19:12:18 »
We have a 12' X 8@ greenhouse running into 4 butts 2 each side inter connected. We also have a shed same dimensions with a butt each side. The point I am trying to make is that throughout the winter I am regularly having to run these full butts off into other areas . I do not think people realise how quickly they fill up with heavy rain. To run a shed & a greenhouse into a single butt would be asking for trouble even into 2 butts you will at some point have to run them off and then in the summer you will be asking why when you never have enough water. With our 6 butts we can if I judge it right almost get through a very hot period but it is a just.

gavinjconway

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2014, 19:22:21 »
Yeah rain fills them very quickly... At the plot I have an IBC 1000 litre tank and water from my shed, greenhouse and small storage shed all go into it. I only need 2 weeks of rain in a wet period of time which is about 5 inches to fill it!!

Spireite

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2014, 20:40:13 »
 My shed is 8' deep, and it is just that one gutter connected into it....my greenhouse is planned to be 6' deep...we might have to rig up an overflow type system once the second gutter is connected.......can't rush these things  :happy7:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal