Author Topic: Allotment bullies  (Read 1899 times)

patricia2612

Allotment bullies
« on: January 15, 2014, 12:27:49 »
Hello everybody,

I wonder if anyone would be able to help me please?!

I am posting this thread on my fathers behalf who has an allotment in the North London area.

He has had his allotment for over 22 years now and over the past few years has been a victim of some really nasty bullying from his neighbours on either side of him. Just to give you some idea of what they have done for instance is urinating on his shed countless times. Leaving excrement in the walkway towards his shed, poisoning some of his vegetation and throwing raw meat behind his shed attracting rats.

They on the other hand have been making wine, getting drunk etc and basically causing my father a lot of stress. I cannot bare to see him this way and really want to help him in any way I can. He has serious heart and asthma problems and going to his allotment is his only piece of enjoyment and now it is being ruined by these vile people who to top it off are part of the committee and who are bringing in new people to the allotments who are skipping the waiting lists, preventing local people from getting a chance of having an allotment. He really has no one to turn to and the other members of the committee have basically told him to leave it alone and just get on with it. But that is just crazy! He now has gradually stopped going due to all of these problems and I am so angry that he is being made to feel like this.

The problem is I just do not know where to begin. Does anyone know who I can contact regarding this or where I can find out whether he has any rights?

Does anyone think anything can be done?

I would really really appreciate any feedback/help from anyone.

Thank you in advance.

Patricia

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
Re: Allotment bullies
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 14:37:59 »
As I am not in the Uk, I could not say (but if the site is council run I assume he can speak to someone there?).
But just to say that it is vile that he is being treated in this manner. Alcohol does cause problems on allotment sites, where people treat it as a beergarden. As usual, a minority spoil it for the rest. I hope you sort it out.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal