Author Topic: Supports for Blackberry plant  (Read 1965 times)

NightWish

• Not So New ...
Supports for Blackberry plant
« on: November 12, 2013, 10:12:51 »
This really is a basic question I know, but I want to get this right.

I know I need to errect sturdy supports for a blackberry plant; but how do I get them to stay upright?  Various websites say they need to be buried 30cm deep.  Is digging a hole, putting in the poles (making sure they are straight) and then firming down the soil very well enough, or do I need to do things with cement or something?

Many thanks for not laughing at the question!

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Supports for Blackberry plant
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 11:55:22 »
Depends what you supports are and how much growth your supports are able  to support  :drunken_smilie:
Are we talking about arch or just straight poles?
Blackberries are capable growing HUGE and HEAVY plants + good crop adds to the weight too.
If you were to grow them in row of poles...bit like raspberries but adding some wires across for 'climbing'/training the length on..I would say 'just' digging the poles in should do just fine...saying that..you do need to annually remove the old growth off to help unload the weight and the bulk.

Believe me....blackberries are not laughing matter..there is nothing to laugh about when all that thorny stuff topple over you or you need to straighten it all up when supports have failed...LEATHALLY dangerous plants!! :tongue3:

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 17:18:55 »
I would use metposts to support 4" posts and then stretch wires between and through them to hold the blackberries.  You can buy metposts in DIY stores.   If your site is exposed to strong winds then  concrete is more stable.  Just burying posts in the ground will not give enough stability or resistance to winds and the wood will rot too and then break in a few years.  metposts or concrete boots give protection against water so the posts will wear much better.
Obxx - Vendée France

NightWish

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2013, 18:55:56 »
Thank you!  I think metaposts it is.

strawberry1

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2013, 20:31:50 »
I have two mature loch ness blackberries and they are supported by wires on three strong stakes in metposts. I mark the new stems with string so that they are easier to find for removing the following winter. Some of my wires have broken so we are replacing by much stronger wire from the farmers store. Then the new stems are tied in up and down to one side of each plant. The new stems are then trained up the centre for the summer. They are superb fruiters and are thornless

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal