Author Topic: Weather forecast  (Read 2532 times)

AlanO

• Not So New ...
Weather forecast
« on: December 15, 2013, 22:59:40 »
Hi all,
Where's the best site to get accurate forward weather forecasts from please?  I'm thinking of forecasts for the forthcoming few weeks to few months.
Cheers, Alan

daveyboi

• Hectare
  • Have fun enjoy your allotment
    • Daveyboi's Blog and personal website
Re: Weather forecast
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, 00:25:17 »
I use metcheck but it is only a long range guide other than a few days ahead it gives forecasts up to 6 months
Daveyboi
Near Haywards Heath Southern U.K.

Visit My Blog if you would like to

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 12:37:04 »
There is no forecast that claims to be accurate (and is) beyond a few days.  The met does issue long range forecasts of risks of types of weather.  These try to predicting the risk of different seasonal average conditions a few months ahead, particularly in winter. For example it may be possible to give the risk of harsh winter overall from some weeks in advance.  They do not however forecast how much snow might fall in a particular week several weeks ahead...

More here on long term forecasts from the Met - http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/news/in-depth/long-range-forecasting

Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2013, 19:18:56 »
Rain today is very good at keeping the washing dry and finding breaks in the rain to rush out and do a bit of gardening.

I use the metoffice site and foreca and I like watching the prediction of the jet stream.   

http://www.stormsurfing.com/cgi/display_alt.cgi?a=natla_250

As you can see the jet stream is giving us a direct hit at the moment hence the warm wet weather.  It is normally further north by this time.

Have you tried seaweed?

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2013, 23:46:00 »
Unfortunately AlanO - I think that with current weather forecasting technology - going beyond the standard 3-5 day outlook is never very accurate and all predictions I have seen that far ahead seem very vague.

Having said that, there are people and organisations that attempt to do what you are asking, but it's seldom free advice unfortunately - For a free service I would heartily recommend googling for Terry Scholey - his monthly predictions have been pretty bang on for the last year or so.

strawberry1

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2013, 20:24:00 »
weather action and piers corbyn. Very accurate to date and 30 days in advance or longer but it is via sub and is costly. I have had a sub for 2 years and have just renewed as I saved the sub just by adjusting plans for holidays and trips

Takes a bit of getting used to as his style is very much genius driven

AlanO

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2013, 08:57:19 »
Thanks Davyboi together with the met office that pretty much does it. Cheers Alan

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal