Author Topic: specs online  (Read 1316 times)

ACE

• Hectare
specs online
« on: October 21, 2013, 09:29:46 »
Has anybody here ever got their glasses online? I have to have varifocal lenses and was wondering if it was possible seeing as I need extra types of measurements taken for them. Specsavers will do the sight test but all their promotions are not worth the paper they are printed on as you have to buy a really expensive pair of frames to get any offers. They still come out at least £300 by the time you add all the extras.  I am noticing prices of £75 online so is it worth the risk. I don't do designer frames as I think they look stupid, I go for the aviator type of frame with the lenses that go dark in the sunshine, which are essential  down here on the sunny south coast.

raisedbedted

• Hectare
Re: specs online
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 09:36:42 »
After years of buying specs from the high street I bought two pairs from Glasses Direct this year.  Given the price (£120 for two pairs) I wasn't expecting much but actually they are two very good pairs.  They offer trials and returns.

They charge £70 for varifocal lenses plus about another £50 for a decentish pair of frames.  There's probably a free second pair in there too.
Best laid plans and all that

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 12:11:48 »
I got 2 pairs from GD too - polarising and photocromic, 3 years ago for something like £50 each. One pair made me feel seasick so they swapped it with no grumbles. They've never been as comfy as ones from an optician but they've done me fine. I think I'll get my next pair from an optician though, in the interests of comfort. The best thing about them is that at £50 a pop I can wear them for sailing or kayaking without worrying too much if they fall off.

vicki.m

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 12:34:56 »
My husband had a pair from direct specs, they were cheap and look nice but he can't wear them as the lenses seem to be offset, something to do with pupil distance so it was a bit of a false economy as he had to go and get another pair.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2013, 13:09:53 »
I do know a few people who swear by GD and other online spec shops.  I think that by law you have to be given your exact prescription by the likes of Specsavers which you can then hand over to the online vendor..
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2013, 13:11:56 »
My mum has bought her last two pairs of varifocals online, I think Glasses Direct and been happy with the company and her glasses. There was a problem with the last pair and they were helpful on the phone and also remade the lenses at no cost even though it turned out to be the opticians mistake on the script which the opticians then put right at their cost.
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2013, 16:29:32 »
Well surprise, surprise, I do not need a new prescription. But he did try and sell me some lighter frames, then when I said no, they tried the old lenses are scratched ploy. Which backfired as I remembered I have an un-used pair in the drawer which have never been worn that I got in a bogof last time I went 3 years ago. 

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal