Author Topic: WooHoo We have a plot  (Read 3939 times)

RobandAlly

• Not So New ...
WooHoo We have a plot
« on: March 14, 2005, 15:11:55 »
As of the 1st April  ;D

what now  :o

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
Re: WooHoo We have a plot
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2005, 15:12:44 »
plan, read, order seeds, buy tools, plan some more.....;)

congrats, and welcome on board
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

RobandAlly

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2005, 15:15:44 »
Thanks for the welcome  :)

They rang today and she said it 10 pole whatever that means so I went down to have a look as she gave me the allotment number.

we are number 1 plot right next to a path and where we park so that will be handy I'm thinking ;)

should of added some more ... its quite big and has a ricketty shed thing at the end right infront of a brook/stream this shed is very slap dash so will need a bit of seeing to but looking at the plot theres loads of strawberries (them are staying ..yum ) and not much else
« Last Edit: March 14, 2005, 15:18:25 by RobandAlly »

RobandAlly

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2005, 15:30:20 »
I know I'm posting again  :-[ but I'm so excited about this.

I have a picture now in my head of weekends hubby and me there on a saturday and sunday flasks of hot tea and sarnies and getting mucky together  ;D

Moggle

• Hectare
  • My island home is waiting for me
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2005, 15:41:54 »
Welcome to A4A

Loads of people have made postings about this recently, so check those out.

And do what Svea said and my addition to that is DIG!!  ;D ;D
Lottie-less until I can afford a house with it's own garden.

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2005, 16:29:35 »

....hubby and me ... getting mucky together ;D
:o
keep it clean - this is a family board ;D
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2005, 17:13:00 »
I got my plot last October ish and have covered a lot of it with mulch.  I'm going to NOT DIG as much as possible so I can't wait to compare my efforts with those of the lots of digging school of thought :)
I came, I saw, I composted

Mothy

• Hectare
  • My 4th season on my Lottie in Leicestershire.
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2005, 18:19:01 »
I started on my Father-in-Laws neglected plot over xmas and after clearing all the debri with a couple of mates, all I have done is dig, dig, dig a bit more etc.
Nearly finished the whole 30' x 150' plot and have added a shed and a double compost bin. I know exactly why you are so excited cos i've been the same. I do know that without the advice that I have gained from this board it would have been a lot harder. Best advice I had from here was "do a bit at a time"!!

Good luck!!

newchangeling

• Quarter Acre
  • No picture, no slogan, no imagination!?
    • Pumpkin Soup
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2005, 20:00:12 »
Best of luck, RobandAlly.  Harness that enthusiasm and excitement and remember it when you're wrestling the weeds!!

Clare.
Anyone for Pumpkin Soup?

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2005, 21:31:40 »
'April Fools Day' That will be a day to remember, good luck with your new lottie and welcome aboard the A4A ;)

TULIP-23

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2005, 21:47:10 »
RobandAlly :D

Welcome to A4A..Good Luck with your Lottie ;)

Enjoy Lots of Help and Excellent advice From the Club

Wish you both Lots of Success and Bumper Crops 8)
Sometimes its better to listen than to talk

Gillian

• Half Acre
    • mytinyplot.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2005, 23:07:40 »
As soon as we got our allotment I bought The Allotment Handbook by Caroline Foley. I haven't put it down since! She has loads of advice and tells you exactly what to do each month. What seeds you need to sow, or plant, what weeds or pests you might encounter. It's good for the beginner.

And of course A4A is a great source of help and encouragement too :)

RobandAlly

• Not So New ...
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2005, 09:04:20 »
Thanks for the advice and welcome

I have spent the last couple of days doing plenty of reading and making plans on layout for rotation and all the nice things but having a bit of a shock too by reading of some of the nastier sides to having an allotment, Rats and vandals  >:( not my 2 favourite members of society. But it won't be putting us off.

Seeing many of the lotties that some of you have inherited it looks like we are quite lucky as ours isn't overgrown with grasses and weeds so we just have to get digging and start planting. The biggest job I think will be dismantling the shanty town we have acquired  :o hopefully the materials will be used elsewhere though.

Moggle

• Hectare
  • My island home is waiting for me
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2005, 09:15:51 »
If you're going to try to garden organically, the 'H.D.R.A. Encyclopedia of organic gardening' is fantastic - and I'm only up to the compost bit! I've borrowed a copy from the library.
Lottie-less until I can afford a house with it's own garden.

RobandAlly

• Not So New ...
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2005, 09:21:55 »
Just rang and we can have the keys tomorrow .... now I'm really excited ...woohoo  ;D

An inspecter went down to check out the shanty house as there was a panel in a door missing so we were worried about whether it had been misused by certain individuals ...ie: needles etc and there is no signs of that but there are tools and spare wood in it.

Actually I think I'm going for a shower and maybe pop and get the keys now  ;)

TULIP-23

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2005, 10:20:12 »
Roband Ally :D

The Key to Success!!!!!!!!!!!! Haha Good Luck 8)
Sometimes its better to listen than to talk

Sarah-b

• Acre
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2005, 11:09:25 »
Congratualtions RobAnd Ally.
Just one thing to add to this - when things start to warm up on the plot - all the weeds start to grow. And they grow way way faster that anything else. At this point, it is critical not to be discouraged. You will find ways of staying on top of things at the plot. It's so much fun and such a worthwhile thing to do.
Any problems or questions, just post them up on one of the boards here and there are lots of people available for advice - great!

Good luck,
Sarah.

Harriet

• Not So New ...
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2005, 12:25:49 »
Congratulations!  I've only just got my plot too (as of 13 March).  We've spent 3 days down there so far and have managed to clear away most of the shopping trollies, beer cans and plastic bags, as well as most of the carpet (presumably to laid to keep the weeds down, but has obviously been there for several years since it has brambles growing through it!) - there was more carpet on the plot than there is in my flat!  Anyway, have cleared all that and now dug almost half the plot.  Have taken the day off work on Friday so that I can get back down there.... addicted already!

I also have a corrugated iron shed that will be dismantled and replaced at some point.  Can also recommend the Caroline Foley book and realseeds.co.uk

Happy digging!

H

RobandAlly

• Not So New ...
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2005, 12:50:07 »
OK I have been to get the key and while in town I was drawn to woolies as someone on here pointed out about raspberry canes ;) and they had those so I got 2 packs and they were 2.99 for 4 canes in each pack I also got a gooseberry bush, loganberry, A grape vine each for 2.99 too. I also got a blueberry which was 3.45. The grape vine I have I plan to erect a few posts around and strong wires crisscrossing where the shed will be to add some shade (yeah right bring on the wine  ;D )

Just a tip the nice lady at woolies gave me was that if you keep your receipt and bar code off the packs and they fail you get your money back ....but what she also told me was that proof need only be a dead leaf she said with a wink  ;) and told me why not all the oldies do it  :o

Just to add 2 days ago when I found I had a plot I raced out to buy my veg and salad seeds and then came back to find out how to get them cheaper oh well now I know next time.  ::)

Got to the lottie today and found though 3 flipping gooseberry bushes so I might be taking the one I bought today back unless anyone here advices otherwise. took a look in the shanty house and boy it needs to go .... also for some reason theres a dirty pair of knickers or underpants hanging up  :o must find an 8ft cane to sort those out  :-[

I also got talking to a nice old guy there and he pointed out that there might still be tatties in the ground as you can see the troughs and dead plant life sticking up but he told me they might not be any good as we are near the brook they tend to slugs and they might have got into them. looks like there is also some onions too. So not a bad start and it looks like gooseberry fool and a plate of champ for tea :D
« Last Edit: March 16, 2005, 13:16:17 by RobandAlly »

dibberxxx

• Hectare
  • The Mad One!
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2005, 13:47:08 »
i am so please for you rob and ally i no how frustrating it is waiting for an allotment its seems like i have been waiting forever and still have not got one have been told i will not properly get one to next spring ,you seen so excited good luck and i hope you enjoy keep us posted but this forum is very helpfull and buy the time i get a lottie i will be a expert from learning from everyones knowledge

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal