Author Topic: Possible Vacant Allotment  (Read 3263 times)

Golach

• Half Acre
Possible Vacant Allotment
« on: September 09, 2013, 01:42:00 »
I thought I had a full allotment but it's a half.  Spent all afternoon and well into the evening hacking down the grass with my new Faithfull Scythette.  Once I got the hang of it I cleared a lot of the tall grass.  Son's pal came with us too and between him and my son they did a great job of digging.  The allotment is now beginning to look "loved".

However, the allotment that continues on from mine, as far as I know, is vacant.  The grass is 5ft tall and it looks like it's been used as a dumping ground for various junk such as an old bath, computer monitor and loads of other...well...rubbish.  There are however, some nice fruit trees including a couple of desert apple trees - Cox's I think, raspberry canes, the remains of a strawberry patch - still some strawberry plants on it and there is a decent, metal shed.

According to my neighbour no-one's been near that allotment for about 2 years.

I'm going to phone the council tomorrow morning and see if I can find out whether it's been abandoned or not and if it has been then apply for it.

Keep your fingers crossed.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Re: Possible Vacant Allotment
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 06:54:59 »
Fingers crossed for you.   

I visited some allotments in Swindon on Saturday and was appalled to see just how many are overgrown.  Seems no one wants to take on clearing them.   People apparently expect to take on a working plot or a pre-dug plot.  Though with the speed fat hen grows it only has to be abandoned for a few weeks to be chest high.

I would hope that since you want to clear this plot they should jump at the chance.   But it would seem councils can be very fickle.

Golach

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013, 11:05:57 »
Did you visit the allotments off Pinehurst Road?  If so,  that is where I've got mine.  The Council should at least cut the long grass when a new tenant takes over and I think having to clear such a mess puts people off expecially if they take over a plot early summer and find they can't grow anything because of the weeds.  At least I've got from now till Spring to knock mine into shape.

Big Gee

• Half Acre
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is lost forever
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Society
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2013, 11:16:24 »
Personally speaking, I've come to the conclusion over the years that if a keen new allotment tenant is prepared to take over an unused and overgrown plot then it usually means they don't mind a bit of hard work and usually turn out to be keen growers. Those who turn their noses up at an overgrown offered plot is usually a sure sign that the enthusiasm isn't there. Those who want to take over a well kept plot often turn out to be the ones who will eventually not look after the plot in the long run.

That of course is purely a personal observation. there are exceptions, but someone's enthusiasm to take on an unkept plot is often a good indicator of their potential. A good 'acid' test!

Golach

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2013, 13:42:11 »
Although it's hard work,  I find I'm enjoying it.   Get the feel good factor and I can envisage how my lottie will eventually look and the thought of cooking with fresh veg that isn't tainted by chemicals spurs me on.  My son's pal helped yesterday.   Now he's considering an allotment especially as he and his partner are expecting their first baby later this year and they want the best food for the family.   They  too are fed up with paying silly prices for tasteless rubbish in the shops.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 13:43:57 by Golach »

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2013, 13:59:49 »
What a coincidence that you are in Swindon.   They were the ones behind the SALGA shop.  Bought some of the groworganic stuff since they were out of chicken pellets  It grows things well but it stinks something terrible.    Do join SALGA their meetings are interesting and the stuff from the shop is very reasonably priced.

Not sure your son will have too much time for an allotment with a new baby. 

I wish you all success with your plot.

Golach

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2013, 17:38:37 »
What a coincidence that you are in Swindon.   They were the ones behind the SALGA shop.  Bought some of the groworganic stuff since they were out of chicken pellets  It grows things well but it stinks something terrible.    Do join SALGA their meetings are interesting and the stuff from the shop is very reasonably priced.

Not sure your son will have too much time for an allotment with a new baby. 

I wish you all success with your plot.

I've already joined SALGA and will be going to their meetings.  Been in the shop too and will be getting seeds etc. from there plus what I've got already to sow for next year - beetroot, spinach and a few other things.  With having a lottie now I'll be able to plant more of my favourite veg.

It's not my son who's "multiplying" - it's his friend.  I think my son will play the role of "uncle" though as he and his pal have been friends since they were youngsters.  His partner is all for organic food and it wouldn't surprise me if they do get an allotment that they'll both be there with the little one in tow.  Nothing like starting them young. that way they grow up with it  :icon_thumright:

Ah well.  Quick cup of coffee then off to the lottie - cut some more grass for a couple of hours.

Next time you visit the allotments, come and have a coffee.  I've always got the flask with me  :coffee2:

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2013, 19:34:23 »
All the best with your plot Golach and good luck with the other plot would you want it for yourself or your sons friend, the old bath could be good for growing in.    :icon_cheers:
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2013, 20:24:33 »
Thanks for the invite.  Nice to meet another coffee drinker, I do hate tea. 

I only go occasionally to stock up with chicken pellets etc and have a chat with Taurus.

Good luck with the plot.   

I was rather impressed with some of the plots there.  I was rather interested in the guy who had his tomatoes all covered in plastic bags with the green bits sticking out the top.   I have tried putting the whole plant in plastic bags but the leaves go mouldy.   But he was stripping the lower leaves inside the  bag and then having the new fresh leaves outside.  Think I might try it next year. 

Golach

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2013, 22:38:29 »
Kenco Rich for me.

A lot of the lottie holders are Italians - hence so many plum tomatoes.  I've never grown plum tomatoes but will give them a go next year as I love Italian cooking.  I make a pretty good lasagne (from scratch - non of your shop bought sauces - yuk) and also my own pasta although I some suspect the Italians would throw their hands up in horror!  Still, it's better than the shop bought pasta - and fresh made.

As for the other lottie, I didn't get the chance to phone the council until late this afternoon and their office had closed so will phone them tomorrow.  I would have it for myself.  It wouldn't add too much onto the one I've got as whoever had it has kept an area of about 10ft where there's some flowers - a Hydrangea, a rose plus some small fruit trees...and a lot of overgrown grass and weeds.  That bit could be really quite pretty with a bit of TLC.  The rose is a gorgeous deep pink and has a wonderful fragrance but it looks like it could do with a good feed.  Behind that there's a metal shed.  It doesn't look that old but someone's tried to burst the lock.  Had a look at it and it's probably a hacksaw job.  I doubt, if that person has abandoned or given up the plot that the Council would have a key for the shed.  The rest of the plot has raspberry canes in abundance, the remains of a strawberry patch, some rhubarb (I think) and anything else that might turn up once the plot's tidied up.

As for my own plot, feeling quite pleased with myself.  Attacked it for a couple of hours tonight with the scythette - really got into the "swing" of it and, hey presto - the long grass is gone.  Only a small part to do, about the width of the plot by about 2 yards.  Would have finished it tonight but the light was going and I wanted to rake up the grass and weeds I'd cut - remembered to take the grass rake this time.

I thought I was cutting through straw and, yes, I was.  On the neighbouring mess, I mean plot, there's a couple of oat plants that have seeded themselves from someone's farm.

Did find unwelcome guests residing in my plot - a nest of red ants.  The mess next door has an even bigger red ant nest and because the path between is so overgrown and narrow I had to step backwards into next door's plot to get at the long grass from that side, I very nearly stood on the thing.  Lucky I realised what it was and just missed putting my foot on it and disturbing the ants.  Really don't fancy angry ants running up my leg and biting me!

What's good for getting rid of red ants?  In the past I've used Ant Stop - the little square box - worked like a charm but these were black ants in my greenhouse.  Not sure if I could use the same for red ants?

Anyway, the plot is coming together.  A couple of weeks and it should be dug over.  Son can do that while I get on with pulling out as many weed roots as I can find.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal