Author Topic: Jam Jars  (Read 3936 times)

NattyEm

• Acre
    • Em and Lous Lottie
Re: Jam Jars
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2005, 22:46:43 »
Tim I knew you meant the food not the actual container!  I've never done this, and never had any trouble freezing stuff.  So although a little 6x3" piece may not seem much, multiply it by the number of frozen things, then by the number of us freezing things its quite a lot :p (can you see my godly shiney metallic green halo???!!)

chrispea27

• Acre
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2005, 07:00:33 »
looking at these replies you must have large chest( freezer). I havn't room in my fridge freezer for much, have to plan v carefully ;)
Chris Pea

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2005, 07:15:01 »
Chris - your message came in while I was attempting this. It's actually an upright. ( D..n it - I've got to re-invent what I said!!)

OK, Natty - would you accept greaseproof paper? Do you ever put wax discs on your jams - for a similar but different purpose?

Believe me, with an environmental guru for a son, we think along the same lines. I accept that you are happy but, for all those who might not be, I have to say that sealing the surface of the food makes one hell of a difference to the quality of the end result. And that's even using purpose designed plastic boxes. Much depends, of course, on how long one stores things. I'm afraid that,  despite great effort to rotate goods within their bbe dates, I am guilty of missing out on something each year. The children 'go off' things that you have so diligently prepared. And that, of course, is more environmentally unsound than the covering?? Wasting fuel?

Equally so, but to some extent in my defence, we do have an 18cuft & a regular freezer & a good larder, making good discipline a constant requirement.
And we're talking about feeding 7 at least once a week & up to 14 not infrequently!!

I'll redouble my efforts!!

NattyEm

• Acre
    • Em and Lous Lottie
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2005, 23:03:43 »
Sorry Tim, clingfilm is one of my pet hates :)   

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2005, 07:08:50 »
So greaseproof it is!!

I know what you mean.

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2005, 20:28:30 »
Diver? do you dive?
just noticed the name as I was reading about water freezing as above and was pondering over salt water(sea) & density/freezing points.
Diving New years day in Wraysbury was ****** freezing!!!4C

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal