Author Topic: Jam Jars  (Read 3925 times)

Andy H

• Hectare
Jam Jars
« on: March 13, 2005, 18:55:11 »
Was making soup from parsnips and wondering what to freeze it in. Did it in poly bags in the end and heat sealed. Would jam jars be ok in freezer???

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re: Jam Jars
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2005, 19:11:01 »
This is almost a recipe?

No need to heat seal - a clip works fine. OK, costs money.

So long as the jar is underfilled, we have no problem. But I much prefer to use plastic custard etc pots. If you do use bags, freeze them in a box of some sort so that they take a square shape & stack well.

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2005, 19:16:28 »
thanks Tim, had a bag sealer for years so everything gets frozen that way and doesn`t leak, got millions of jars so may use them.

new potter

• Not So New ...
    • Helping gambia children
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2005, 21:10:18 »
what about plastic milk bottles

np

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2005, 08:12:07 »
Again - leave plenty of head room.

I find that bags, even the best, seem to develop holes, so that when you thaw in a pan of water, they leak. Can't see how it happens.

PS Old hat maybe, but thawing in cold water is the safest way.

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2005, 08:25:40 »
andy, use your jam jars for jam ;) or chutneys?
i too vote for plastic pots (yoghurt/custard), milk bottles or those pots that the likes of ovomaltine come in. those also make great storage containers for pulses etc

svea
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

ruudbarb

• Half Acre
  • Let's get dirty and dig up the spuds..........
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2005, 09:43:31 »
Freezing anything in glass jars is not a clever idea because they can shatter all too easily with the corresponding risk of serious cuts.  Better to use proper freezer containers and be safe.  The contents will expand on thawing which is when the glaas can shatter.

Frozen liquids in polythene bags can get contaminated because the bags don't store well and if you freeze them in boxes to keep shape, the bag gets frozen into the contents and requires defrosting before trying to empty.  We put ours in a suitable bowl in case of leaks and defrost in the microwave - you'll be surprised how many holes in the bags appear.

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2005, 10:17:49 »
Danger?  I must beg to differ - contents expand on freezing, hence the need to allow a good space.

Leaks? But how do they get there?
Boxes freeze to contents? Only if either is wet when 'assembled'??

One food saver - whatever the container, do cover the contents with clingfilm to stop freezer burn & dehydration.

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2005, 11:00:00 »
As ice turns to water, at the 'slush' state it will head off in the direction of least resistance, as it solidifies it expands equally in all directions. Glass in the freezer I wouldn't risk. However, Tim has proved that you can do it.

Svea

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2005, 11:03:01 »
well clodhopper has one thign right though - there is the risk of glass shattering even if you just run cold water over a frozen glass.

my mother cut her right hand once when a jam jar shattered in her hand, cutting nerves and tendons to all her fingers! she needed surgery, and though this must be over 15 years ago, she never regained full control of her fingers. she did physio (kneading clay, mostly, to excercise the fingers and strengthen the muscles) but she has not a lot of strength in that hand.

so be careful

PS: water is 'biggest' at 4 degrees celcius - requires less space above and below that temperature.

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2005, 11:51:01 »
Svea - et al - I secede!! I've just been lucky.
Certainly all the advice on Google, now that we are looking at the subject closely, is 'don't'. Sorry for the 'herring'.
As I said, I prefer cartons, even though we have dozens of special-to-type boxes. These are always too big or too small!!

But I find this fascinating. Water 'shrinks until 1C (maximum density), & then expands until freezing point - when it sets at some 10% bigger than it was'. Having frozen, it does not get smaller.

Pass me Scotch on the rocks. Who cares what size the ice is!!

wivvles

• Half Acre
  • This week I 'ave mostly been digging...
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2005, 12:07:10 »
But I find this fascinating. Water 'shrinks until 1C (maximum density), & then expands until freezing point - when it sets at some 10% bigger than it was'. Having frozen, it does not get smaller.
I thought water had a maximum density at 4 degrees - hence the reason that Ice floats (being less dense than the warmer water below it)?
Nagaraeba
Mata kono goro ya
Shinobaremu
Ushi to mishi yo zo
Ima wa koishi

NattyEm

• Acre
    • Em and Lous Lottie
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2005, 14:35:20 »
Whatever the container do cover with clingfilm...

Seems like an awful waste of resources to cover an already covered thing with clingfilm.  The amount of oil it takes the make clingfilm not to mention the extra waste you're creating using it.  Just stick to recycling plastic pots and containers.  Far more environmentally friendly :)

ruudbarb

• Half Acre
  • Let's get dirty and dig up the spuds..........
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2005, 17:21:52 »
Hi Tim - you said "Pass me Scotch on the rocks. Who cares what size the ice is!!

I do if there isn't room for the single malt  >:( >:( >:(

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2005, 17:47:33 »
Natty!!
Cover the food, closely, so that there is no air gap to allow burn or dehydration. A 6"x3", say, piece of film could save spoiling a litre of food. Very environmental?

Clodders - touché!!

wivvles - no argument - I did put it in quotes. But it's funny stuff, isn't it? The only compound that expands with cold?

wivvles

• Half Acre
  • This week I 'ave mostly been digging...
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2005, 19:10:12 »
wivvles - no argument - I did put it in quotes. But it's funny stuff, isn't it? The only compound that expands with cold?

Obviously never been for a walk with Mrs Wivvles on a very cold day then...... ;D
Nagaraeba
Mata kono goro ya
Shinobaremu
Ushi to mishi yo zo
Ima wa koishi

Svea

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2005, 19:12:11 »
she expands????? :o

diver

• Quarter Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2005, 19:39:13 »
I never have enough jars for the jams and preserves,but I wouldn't risk the freezer anyway...I use plastic bags..large supermarket type ones for large raw stuff like whole tomatoes when we have a glut, and ovaltine plastic containers for soup or the ones we get take aways in...my grown up kids have to save them all fro me if they want to swap for jams etc.

Gadfium

• Acre
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2005, 19:48:45 »
Max density of fresh water is at 4 degrees C.  That's how pond/river life survives the winter, the ice forms from the top, down, protecting the aquatic life below, snug and safe, & often with their own versions of anti-freeze flowing around their systems.

diver... How do you freeze whole tomatoes? Do you have to pour boiling water over them, & skin them first? How long do they keep in the freezer?

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2005, 20:33:52 »
I would suggest that -

1. S/market bags are not freezer proof - whatever that might mean.

2. Only freeze mini plum toms - like Santa - which are mainly meat. No need to blanch, Just used the last of 2004's yesterday. If you want them peeled, just wait till they are thawed & squeeze the skin off.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal