Author Topic: My first fig  (Read 8723 times)

pumkinlover

My first fig
« on: August 25, 2013, 17:14:13 »
:happy7:

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: My first fig
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2013, 18:37:01 »
So nice, you posted twice  :toothy10: :toothy10:

pumkinlover

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2013, 19:19:12 »
Lol Manics!

I am pretty chuffed! but the double post was me getting used to a smart phone!

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 07:13:43 »
Twelve years and 20 feet high, not a single fig ever. What are you doing to make it fruit? I have heard that containing the roots is supposed to help, but I shall need a big container.

budgiebreeder

• Hectare
  • West Yorkshire.
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 08:11:39 »
I must have done something right then for once lol.I have 2 fig trees planted in large tubs and they both get fruit on them so maybe thats the way  to grow them  in the uk when we dont  always get Summers as good as this ones been so far.I have them against a South facing wall and fleece them in the Winter.
Earth fills her lap with treasures of her own.

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2013, 08:45:43 »
Brilliant PL!

My tree is full of fruit but I don't think any is ripe yet, I'll have
a look this morning.

ACE - my tree is about 9 years old, massive, and is just planted in the
ground without any root restriction.  More fruit every year than anyone
could possibly eat.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

pumkinlover

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2013, 19:16:06 »
Twelve years and 20 feet high, not a single fig ever. What are you doing to make it fruit? I have heard that containing the roots is supposed to help, but I shall need a big container.

Just inherited it from an Italian :toothy10:
Sadly both have got a fungal disease so will have to be treated, but the figs are fantastic. Good to do so well in West Yorks too budgiebreeder!

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2013, 07:26:30 »
[quote author=pumpkinlover link=topic=76417.msg777538#msg777538 date=1377540966

Just inherited it from an Italian :toothy10:
Sadly both have got a fungal disease so will have to be treated, but the figs are fantastic. Good to do so well in West Yorks too budgiebreeder!
[/quote]
Just read this as both the fig and the Italian have a fungal disease  :toothy10: :toothy10:
We have 2 brown turkey that always fruit, both in containers. If we can get to the fruit before the red ants and wasps they're lovely :happy7:

pumkinlover

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2013, 07:31:34 »
LOL, not sure about that!!!!
and I do not want to find out!

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2013, 20:04:35 »

could possibly eat.

Sounds a bit like Na na na nana. :tongue3: But if you have that many make me a figgy pudden , you could deliver it to the ferry in the micra (spit)

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2013, 16:58:30 »
I'm trying to figure out why a friend in our same town gets piles of figs from her huge tree which is in the ground and too big to cover, yet my small brown turkey trees in the ground die back in winter even when covered. My only successful one is in a pot that goes in the garage. And brown turkey is supposed to be very hardy.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

Nigel B

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2013, 16:25:57 »
Brilliant PL!

a look this morning.

could possibly eat.

Mine is quite the opposite, in that I followed the advice I read and created a yard-square hole lined with multiple-layers of broken tiles before planting it.
It is planted hard against the house wall. Right in the rain-shadow area so it only really gets wet, other than when I feed it, on a screaming Southerner while our prevailing wind is Westward.

Needless to say, it fruits and fruits and fruits. I had the first, a small one , yesterday. Here they come!
"Carry on therefore with your good work.  Do not rest on your spades, except for those brief periods which are every gardeners privilege."

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2013, 22:10:34 »
Brilliant PL!

a look this morning.

could possibly eat.

Mine is quite the opposite, in that I followed the advice I read and created a yard-square hole lined with multiple-layers of broken tiles before planting it.
It is planted hard against the house wall. Right in the rain-shadow area so it only really gets wet, other than when I feed it, on a screaming Southerner while our prevailing wind is Westward.

Needless to say, it fruits and fruits and fruits. I had the first, a small one , yesterday. Here they come!
Our temps can swing down to -23C which means I may be expecting too much of ours unless it gets a better blanketing. I'd like to get away from hauling heavy pots into storage.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2013, 21:33:34 »
We picked about 20 Brown Turkey today to give tastes to NGS Open Day visitors.... you are expecting too much Grannie Annie  -15C is about the limit... last year we lost about 1/3rd of our top growth to the cold...

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2013, 21:58:48 »
We picked about 20 Brown Turkey today to give tastes to NGS Open Day visitors.... you are expecting too much Grannie Annie  -15C is about the limit... last year we lost about 1/3rd of our top growth to the cold...
Do you wrap yours, Sadad, or bury it? Last year I rooted some branch trimmings and planted them in different places in the yard hoping for some magical microclimate. For insurance I kept the one in the pot in the garage. It wasn't even a record cold winter for us, but the outdoor ones (3) were brown to the ground. Now, of course, they have regrown to about 4 feet and very full which means they'll be tricky to cover. I wonder if upping the soil minerals would help. There was an article about how an application of rock dust saved citrus trees in Florida (untreated ones froze.)  Has anyone heard of that working with figs? Or am I grasping at straws, my favorite occupation.

pumkinlover

« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2013, 07:48:38 »
I think Saddad is saying -15 is the limit for figs, rather than the temperature he experiences GrannieAnnie. Derby is the balmy south of Derbyshire  :toothy10:

(Of course he'll come on now and post some horrendous low temp! BTW the thought of -23 sends shivers down my spine brrr.......)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 07:50:36 by pumpkinlover »

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2013, 11:13:03 »
I think Saddad is saying -15 is the limit for figs, rather than the temperature he experiences GrannieAnnie. Derby is the balmy south of Derbyshire  :toothy10:

(Of course he'll come on now and post some horrendous low temp! BTW the thought of -23 sends shivers down my spine brrr.......)
BUt, but, but...our friend who lives in town, meaning 10 minutes from us, has an outdoor tree that is LOADED with figs. Granted we are at a very slightly higher elevation meaning our azaleas open maybe a week later than theirs, but still, I don't understand why mine are a total failure.

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2013, 11:36:43 »
Town is probably the factor... a bit of heat island effect from nearby walls can make a lot of difference...

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2013, 13:18:16 »
I just found an experiment done by a man in Iceland who has had some success creating microclimates for his seedlings to get earlier crops. I might try the sand/black plastic around a fig this year. Maybe it would help some of you as well. http://www.permies.com/t/22575/permaculture/Ways-warming-soil-temperature-creating

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2013, 09:18:11 »
Hope you find something that works... another 10 yesterday... and at least 4 today.. had a peak while I was doing some watering nearby...  :wave:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal