Author Topic: Cyprus Sheftalias  (Read 2383 times)

gazza1960

• Hectare
Cyprus Sheftalias
« on: July 04, 2013, 12:58:07 »
Sheftalia Sausages are a Cyprus Fav that I enjoy in Pitta bread with a squeeze of lemon and salad,they are like any sausage, meat wrapped in animal skin,these being in Caul which is a stomache membrane that contains plenty of fat and once cooked provides plenty of flavour.

INGREDIENTS=18 sausages,,,ish

8 oz  Caul Fat
1lb Pork Mince
1lb Lamb Mince
1/2lb Belly Pork Fat(rind removed)
1 Large Onion Finely Chopped
Handful of Chopped Parsley
2 tsps. salt
Grind of pepper
1 slice white bread.

Assemble ingredients

The Caul fat is available from good butchers,if you cant source it this butcher in somerset can post it.

unwrap the caul and rinse it in a bowl of water and lemon juice,then shake dry and set aside till needed.

It is very delicate,so handle it carefully to avoid ripping holes in the membrane.

Mixed Peppers provide flavour and this one from M&S is made up from
Black Peppercorns,White Peppercorns,Dried Pimento Berries,Green Peppercorns and Pink Peppercorns and is a tasty blend,but like all things you can add what ever you like.

Chop a good sized handful of flat leaf parsley

Hand cut the belly fat into small pieces  if you prefer a denser mix,or mince it fine as you prefer.

Wet the bread slice in a bowl of water then squeeze all the water from the slice.

Now combine the mince meats and belly fat along with the salt and a good grind of pepper,plus the chopped onion, chopped parsley and the wet bread.

Fold it all together so the contents are mixed well.

I form a sausage shape around the size of a large hens egg @2.5 oz...ish

Lay the Caul Membrane out on a chopping surface and cut into 5 inch x 5 inch approx pieces.

Place each sausage onto the edge and start to roll up into the membrane tucking the sides in as you go.
Each sausage should be wrapped in about 1 1/2 turns of Caul.

Once wrapped you can either cook them in the oven 180 degrees for 20 mins or Grill them till cooked through,or if weather allows Barbecue them.

TIP...Throughtout the cooking process sprinkle some more salt over the sausages as it adds extra flavour.

I have not found you need any extra sprays of oil during cooking as the Caul provides plenty.

Plate up in a Bread Roll with salad of your choosing.

Add a good squeeze of Fresh Lemon and a spoon full of Tzatziki and your ready to tuck in..!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"""Cyprus Sheftalias"""

Enjoy

Gazza

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
Re: Cyprus Sheftalias
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 15:51:03 »
Looking great - I love Sheftalias and used to eat them after the pub when we lived in Green (Greek) Lane in North London.  Haven't had any for a while but a see a visit to my local TFC soon.
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 12:05:45 »
Only just spotted this recipe - another good one Gazza.

We call this fat 'bride's veil', maybe  other people know it under that name too.  It is hard to find, but local small butchers can usually get it although you may have to order it.

A Swiss favourite recipe with caul fat is Zuercher Leberspissli:
http://www.kochbar.de/rezept/169989/Zuercher-Leberspiessli-aus-Huehnerleber.html
mouthsize pieces of liver, a sage leaf and a thin slice of smoked bacon, wrapped in caul fat and put onto skewers, then pan fried.

Your sausage recipe sounds very good and the spicing can be varied to taste, perhaps adding herbs, such as sage or thyme or oregano?

An easy way to make home-made sausages without having to faff with filling sausage casings. 

Thank you again.  Yes there is enough fat in the caul, no extra needed.  Should barbecue very well.

gazza1960

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2013, 08:21:24 »
Cheers for the recipe Galina,id have a go at it but Judes not a liver luvver so guess who will be munching on it..... :blob7:.....as for the herb additions....why not....we all add flavourings to suit our palet.....the particular sheftalias we eat in Cyprus are as per...but as that little island has been overthrown by just about everybody at some stage I think all their foods have had extra flavours added and are known by a particular name....go on shove em on it I wont tell..... :tongue3:

on a similar theme ive seen the hairy bikers doing some spicy meat balls using caul and they looked delish  !!!!!!  I just have to adopt a flavoursome
gravy/sauce to cook them in once they've been fried off.

Gazza

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal