Author Topic: EmmaJanes plot on the landscape  (Read 2327 times)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
EmmaJanes plot on the landscape
« on: November 15, 2003, 19:57:41 »
Finally, I remembered to take the camera to the lottie today, so here it is, not much to show really - roll on spring!

Okay, this is a bit of an update, now I have mastered the photo thing.  Here is James, as you look at him, the plot to the right is mine not long after I first got it - there are still apples on the trees!

Again, me and the sprogs.  You can kinda get an idea of how overgrown it was,  I had started wripping the top growth off and was up to about the apple trees, then the digging started!

And here are the kids, bold as brass!  You can't see the plum trees at the back of my plot thanks to the weeds!

Me and the kids warming our bums on the hot compost heap!  ;D  I know it is open slatted, which a lot of you don't like, but it is how I have always done it, it works for me, and if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

This is the length of my plot.  In the distance is my compost heap - stream beyond, midway are 2 apple trees - no idea what apples, I think 1 is a cooker and 1 an eater, and the photo was taken at the other end of the plot, where there is a row of plum trees currently being rennovated by another plottie holder.  There are a few cabbages dotted around, these were left from the previous occupier and the kids like to 'garden' with  them!

Me and my boy James, chief plant trampler  ;D. You can kinda see the width, not very wide, approx 4.5 to 5 metres wide by approx 20 metres long.

My little angel!  Pah!   ;D  Not posing by my plot, but my neighbours who has just started work on his lottie which hasn't been touched for at least 8 years!  Mine is in the background, and looking rather lovely!

My water supply....!  Hmmmmm, believe it or not, there is a wee stream running under the leaves.  The source of this is a natural spring on the local common which winds its way down the edge of the site.  We have a couple of water butts sunken into the bed of the stream which fill quite quickly with lovely clear spring water.

Bottoms up!  Picking up the leaves to add to my poor show of 3 bags!  (Wish I had a rake!)

My chief builder, muscles, coffee maker, and assistant plant trampler!  Ava Banana (aka Mark).  He is responsible for constructing my compost heap from pallets acquired from his work.  He is on the lookout for a shed for me, but I have a feeling construction will be underway before tooooo long!

And last but not least, little old me!  (God knows what it going on with my hair  :o)

« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:11 by -1 »

campanula

• Hectare
  • double digging dudette
Re: EmmaJanes plot on the landscape
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2003, 23:15:12 »
 Hey, great pics - and you have only had the plot for a wee while so good going. Cripes :o...2 young children. When mine were that young, I was so exhausted that NOTHING grew for me - even my houseplants (and we're only talking spiderplants and philodendron here)died awful protracted neglectful deaths. Course, they are not such hard work now(the kids, that is-16,21,26yrs-  but they cost a fortune. And the males don't wanna leave home -much too cushy.Even so, requests for food, drink and attention are now met with a curt 'get your own....and one for me....and don't forget the washing up' - not that this is free but so what, if bribery works.. And you still only look about 21 -who said the universe was fair?
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:00 by 1077926400 »

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2003, 00:25:43 »
Brilliant. I would not dare post photos of myself and definitely not Anne and Lucie and Jennifer run when they see a camera. Last time we all appeared in a photograph was at eldest daughters Wedding (and that was only cos we were stood together waiting for a car.
Ah well they all too soon grow up.
Gardening is the great leveller.

jethro

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2003, 12:48:19 »
Great pics EJ, the stream looks a bit full :-/ plenty of leaves for mulching? What no shed, you definitly need one to store the drink in  ;D , just a tipple now and then to get you back on track  ;D .

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2003, 15:08:06 »
Fantastic photos EmmaJane.  Lovely children too! When ours were little like yours we lived in Reading, and our children loved coming to our Lottie - they had all sorts of adventures and were always building camps - happy days :D I am very impressed with that expanse of dug land - you have been busy.  Looks just ready for the spring.  If only ours was in the same state, as we have still so much to do.  My husband is the builder and muscles in our family too.  Your compost looks just like ours - Hurrah! for pallets what would lottie holders do without them?
live your days not count your years

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal