Author Topic: Allotment very overgrown  (Read 3703 times)

keejaay

• Quarter Acre
Allotment very overgrown
« on: June 19, 2013, 19:45:57 »
I recently took on the role of sec on our allotments , today i gave my first warning to a plot holder who has neglected his site and others inc the chairman have made a complaint to me about the condition of it .   the guy concerned was none to happy and he gave me a bit of verbal but having been a union rep for over 10 years i can handle that -  how much further notice should i give him and if he refuses to leave do i have to allow him access until next years rent is due

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
Re: Allotment very overgrown
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 21:28:49 »
Is your allotment site private or Council as there are two different procedures.

First thing i dint think its one person decision to give out warnings or evictions, it should be decided by the committee

You should never give a verbal warning as there is no proof of it being given,  you should give it by letter.

The first letter you must give the person time to put right what is wrong, point out what rules they are in breach of and what must be put right. Is there any circumstances as to why the allotment is overgrown IE illness, problems getting to the plot etc,

The second letter should be a formal warning for example the committee have asked me to give you 30 days from receipt of this letter to to either tidy up the allotment and start propper cultivation or give up the tenency.
you should notify them of the allotments act and what rules they are in breach of.
Third letter Formal Termination informing them when their tenancy will end and how many days they have to remove their property. restore the plot to a clean condition ready for re letting

Not so easy is it you have to do it right by being fair but firm.
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

keejaay

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 22:28:37 »
I gave him a letter signed by the committee explaining the reason why we felt he deserved a warning but i doubt he will take any notice .

I will keep a check on him and hopefully he will come round to clearing the site which i might add is a council one

thanks for the info as usual very good advice and help

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 22:57:35 »
On our site,
1.  I contact the individual plot holder concerned either face to face or telephone and ask what their future intentions are with the allotment. 
2.  Sometimes they just give up the allotment and admit they no longer have the time for it. Or we agree a reasonable timeline to rectify the problem.  I then record this conversation on file for reference.  They are informed this will happen.  Usually this is suffice.
3.  If after the agreed timeframe things are not rectified, a 28 day written warning is sent recorded delivery.  This states if the errors are not rectified within 28 days then an eviction notice will follow. 
4.  If no progress has been done by the 28 day point, we then send the eviction letter giving a further 28 days to clear any personal belongings.
5.  On the 29th day, I reallocate.

If things are rectified within the 28 day warning period, that is the matter closed.  However,  each plot holder can only go through this process 3 times after which they are evicted without reprieve.  We have never got to this stage though as usually one letter is a sufficient shot across the bows for tenants to maintain their plot.

All the above, except the initial 'informal' conversation is clearly written within the terms and conditions of the tenancy agreement.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

CDave

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2013, 07:19:48 »
I think that you should do follow whatever procedures and requirements are listed in your rules and, or, constitution. The process - whatever it is - should be transparent and applied equally to all. 

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2013, 13:58:50 »
Having learnt this one the hard way, here is my best bit of advice...never, ever ever talk to someone on your own, always take another committee member with you. Not only for back up, but also to act as a witness and hopefully avoid getting any verbal!
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal