Author Topic: What to grow in polytunnel over winter  (Read 2647 times)

steveg1966

• Quarter Acre
What to grow in polytunnel over winter
« on: June 11, 2013, 00:29:27 »
What will grow in my polyunnel over winter

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
Re: What to grow in polytunnel over winter
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 16:06:16 »
Sorry i cant help you Steve i only have ever done it once and found that it takes to long. Some on here do.
I prefer to rest the soil and flush it through then turn the topsoil to the bottom
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

steve1967

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 16:57:29 »
Steve just by chance I planted some lettuces that were late in my greenhouse bed last Oct. I managed to have lettuce at Christmas and will definitely do the same this year. I am much further south than you but would still like to experiment.

Hopefully this year I will have the door sorted on this greenhouse which will keep it warmer.

Anythings worth a try if it dosent work then put it down to experience.

Gordonmull

• Acre
  • Grangemouth. On clay, becoming clay loam...slowly
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2013, 21:54:36 »
Last year was my first with a GH and I grew lettuce, which gave me a later crop but it all succumbed to botytris in the end. Later I learned I needed a mould resistant variety specifically for overwintering indoors.

I also grew carrots in deep containers, giving me a few baby carrots in May begin the year with before they bolted. I made the mistake of growing Autumn King for that when I should have chosen an early nantes variety and harvested earlier. Just wanted to see how big they'd get.

Might have a go at dwarf peas in deep pots this year.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2013, 22:24:36 »
I'd have a look at stump-rooted carrots like ROndo or preferably Atlas, radishes (some of the german ones are meant for winter production) maybe some leafy brassicas, though whitefly might be an issue, and I'
m planning on trying a very late crop of Speedie in mine (as well as another attept at winter new potatoes at some point)...

chrisc

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2013, 22:41:54 »
I'll be putting early psb in for a nice early crop, along with a bit of smooth kale, overwintering broadies and Endives. Plenty of beetroots too for harvesting over the winter. Bernard Salt has plenty of ideas.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal