Author Topic: plotholders giving up!  (Read 8170 times)

elvis2003

• Hectare
Re: plotholders giving up!
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2013, 16:03:03 »
I simply dont have the time for that KT, and if I went to all that trouble only for the plot to return to rack and ruin, my head wall fall off with frustration
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

jimtheworzel

• Hectare
  • PRESTON Gateway to the north
    • http://peterfell-petergarden.blogspot.co.uk/
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2013, 17:19:09 »
to much Monty Don!

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2013, 17:34:17 »
I agree with steve1967, I think you can tell quite early on if folk are gong to make a go of it or not, and it's not all about how much they can clear a plot at the start, just a genuine steady enthusiasm. It doesn't even relate to the state of a plot when it is taken over either, I have been lovely plots deteriorate really quickly when neglected and overgrown plots transformed by regular work.

I do think there is a general underestimation on how much work and time it takes to get on top of a productive plot and keep it at bay from weeds, I confess I did too at the start but I also hadn't considered how addictive it would be! I have to attend some meetings at work, and we were discussing what days would be best for people to meet up....I asked if the weather forecast could be taken into consideration, as if it wasn't pouring with rain I would be at the lottie if it was my days off....and I wasn't joking! :sunny:
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

pumkinlover

« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2013, 17:51:02 »
I asked if the weather forecast could be taken into consideration, as if it wasn't pouring with rain I would be at the lottie if it was my days off....and I wasn't joking! :sunny:

DebP that sounds very reasonable to me!

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2013, 19:04:26 »
I worked for a company where we had flexy time and if it was a nice afternoon I could disappear.   I had to work every 4th Saturday so I always had plenty of time in hand.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2013, 20:39:15 »
That sounds brilliant! Sadly I work 12 hour shifts and couldn't slope off, but the upside is 4 days off a week which is pretty conducive to lottie upkeep!
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

pumkinlover

« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2013, 21:10:28 »
That sounds brilliant! Sadly I work 12 hour shifts and couldn't slope off, but the upside is 4 days off a week which is pretty conducive to lottie upkeep!

I did them but as I got older, I found it took me a day to recover from each 12 hour  shift so I was no better off!

RenishawPhil

• Hectare
    • Parking Ticket Appeals Service
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2013, 08:12:08 »
I agree with steve1967, I think you can tell quite early on if folk are gong to make a go of it or not, and it's not all about how much they can clear a plot at the start, just a genuine steady enthusiasm. It doesn't even relate to the state of a plot when it is taken over either, I have been lovely plots deteriorate really quickly when neglected and overgrown plots transformed by regular work.

I do think there is a general underestimation on how much work and time it takes to get on top of a productive plot and keep it at bay from weeds, I confess I did too at the start but I also hadn't considered how addictive it would be! I have to attend some meetings at work, and we were discussing what days would be best for people to meet up....I asked if the weather forecast could be taken into consideration, as if it wasn't pouring with rain I would be at the lottie if it was my days off....and I wasn't joking! :sunny:

Again totally agree, we have had people come onto our site (one plot in paticular had this happen twice) where 2 families took it on, did a couple of weekends then only one person came down then it was just left

Its like having eyes bigger then your belly.

The is a massive underestimation of the work required sometimes.  They often think its going to be the goodlife and everything will be hunky dory.

Last year was a good example of how a bad year can put newbies of .

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2013, 09:46:07 »
Last year was a good example of how a bad year can put newbies of .
It was bad enough to put even old timers off...nearly..  There was quite few people here that have had their plots for years and were considering quiting all together.  Admittedly it did cross my mind too..but only for the moment!

I don't think many who have taken allotment did have idea how much time it would take.. you just have to like being outdoors and working the land regardless what you may get for the result as regarding the crops. Sadly people are not 'in touch' with the reality anymore. After all ...'how difficult it can be?!...you just pop into local DIY shop..buy a plants with fruit and veg already on them (  :BangHead:) plant them and job done! :drunken_smilie: When you arrive on the plot next time..you have to prepared to pick the 'fruit of the labour' and go home happy  :drunken_smilie: ( :BangHead: )
They often think its going to be the goodlife and everything will be hunky dory.
Yes..it not all just pea pod wine and giggles with neighbours :drunken_smilie: Sadly people don't realize it really is sometimes being stuck in mud and battling against elements to get the crops in or out....never mind the weeds  :BangHead:
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 09:47:49 by goodlife »

BAK

• Wiki Editor
  • Hectare
    • BK - This and That
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2013, 12:41:05 »
when I was the site rep. my rule of thumb to newbies after the plot was knocked into reasonable shape was to allow 30-45 mins per pole per week from May to Sept.

Not that many listened  :icon_scratch:

MR_DIGGIN_IT

« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2013, 20:44:54 »
Hi folks

I agree with you as a keen gardener I just applied for my name to be added to castle hill allotments in Bodmin Cornwall. Currently no.11 on waiting list. People who get given the chance of a plot should make the most out of it. As trying to get a plot in the first place is hard enough before you get a plot you need to commit time and thought to what you want to grow. Draw a plan and get stuck in growing is hard work but fun and very rewarding.

Just a note does anyone know website for allotments in Bodmin Cornwall ?

Kind regards happy diggin

Dave aka MR_DIGGIN_IT

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal