Author Topic: plotholders giving up!  (Read 8185 times)

elvis2003

• Hectare
plotholders giving up!
« on: May 19, 2013, 11:29:45 »
Hi folks
We have just had three families give up their plots this weekend, all of whom joined us last October, have messed about a little but now all three plots are totally overgrown to be handed on to new people. Its so frustrating given the huge waiting list that these plots won't be used for a whole growing season! Despite my 'newbie speech' to all them last year about how much time you need to commit to a plot, they hardly ever visited the site. What can ya do hey GGGrrrrrrr! :BangHead:
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
Re: plotholders giving up!
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 11:49:44 »
That's such a shame they seem to have given up just when they would have seen it spring into life, had they kept up with the work. Must do your head in. Sorry if it's a numpty question, but is their anyway the plots can be strimmed and covered?
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2013, 11:55:10 »
Not a bad idea Jay, its just finding the time to, when we are all so busy with own plots...will see if any of our retired members fancy it, although they normally are busier than the rest of us!

pumkinlover

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2013, 12:35:20 »
It's so frustrating, I suspect that you -like me spend a lot of time talking and explaining. Time we would like to spend gardening! at first I enjoyed listening to peoples plans and ideas, now I'm afraid I think" --hmmmm how long will the enthusiasm last and when will I be doing this again" I try not to let it show.
Sometimes I wonder if that means I'm not a good secretary.

waterlooroader

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2013, 13:13:48 »
That sounds very frustrating, but sadly not unusual.

Does your site make newbies complete a probation period? When I took my half plot on in August last year (Which was in a state with couch grass, bindweed and a load of shredded carpet embeded in the soil) my mate and I were told we had three months to see how much we could clear and how we got on. We cleared it and got some garlic and spring cabbage in before the end of probation. I think they work for both parties, as they allow the comittee and other plot holders to see if the new tennant is up to the job, but also allow the tennant to see how much work is required.

Incidentally, the holder of the front half of the plot (Who took over around the same time and also passed the probation) has recently been issued with a final written warning for a lack of work (I currently cant see the soil on his plot, the grass and dandelions obscure the view!) with the Chairman asking if we would be interested in taking on the front half to make a full plot when the inevitable happens.

I honestly think that some people don't realise just how quickly weeds take hold if you dont hit them when they first appear. I wasn't able to get up for 8 days until yesterday due to work and weather and the weeds had already started to make a comeback. Turning up for one weekend each month is completely insufficient, even for a half plot (Although that would be an improvement on the amount of time they have put in!)

French-Dream

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2013, 13:21:08 »
Well we're new to it all, having started in Feb....there were 2 other newbies who started at the same time and at the moment we are all well into this lottie thing. All of our plots are well worked, in fact we've put our name down for a 2nd plot as we've nearly filled ours.

If you have folks waiting for a plot, can they not take our even if it's 5 months into the year??.  I understand the frustration that you must feel, but there as to be someone that would take over the plots.
Drinking rum before 11am doesn't make you an alcoholic, it makes you a Pirate.   

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2013, 13:59:44 »
We would love the other piece that's the other half of our plot. Several old timers have complained to committee members, (we don't have a site rep  ATM) about the state of it & the one next to us. Several in fact are in a bad way. They were told that they had paid their dues so nothing can be done. We feel a bit guilty that we don't spend a lot of time up there but with only half a plot & no dig there just isn't the need. As there's no sign of us getting more space I'm looking at everything in the garden & wondering what I can grow if I 'remove things' that aren't earning their place. As soon as we realised how much we enjoyed the half plot we put our names down for another half, that was 4 years ago :BangHead:.

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2013, 14:03:06 »
I can understand how you feel Elvis, it is so frustrating.

We have one newcomer who has just given up and another three
who have yet to make a start.

I wish we could have a probation period but the Council said it was not allowed
when I asked them.

Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2013, 15:14:12 »
The one consolation is that at least they have identified it is not for them and returned their plots of their own will.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

bionear2

• Half Acre
  • Wigston, Leics
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2013, 16:27:00 »
We have the same problem on our council owned site. The reality of a plot needing revival often does not fit the long held dream, or the illusion of the time required. Our site now splits some standard allotments into two or even four, to get folk off the list and break them in gently. (Even so, some still fail) If they manage to cultivate a sub-plot well for a year, they can ask for an "upgrade" when one becomes free.
It has not happened yet, but an ageing gardener, finding it hard to manage, could also ask for a "downgrade", so that they might carry on.
Why plant rows of 24 lettuces??

steve1967

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2013, 18:28:39 »
I think we are starting to see the drop off in interest we had a few years ago. With long waiting lists these people are at last being offered plots....but its a reality check most don't realise the work involved. We have had this at our site over the last year with new comers being given half plots and then disappearing within a very short time.

Following a chat with our allotment officer at the council last week.....she now has only allocated 11hours per week for all the allotment sites in the area. Its no wonder plots are falling into jungles.

Fortunately out of two people showing interest in half plots three weeks ago one couple turned up today and set about clearing their plot. After watching them I think they will be here for a while. They worked hard and with enthusiasm.....you know what I mean you can soon pick out the pretenders.

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2013, 20:43:39 »
We do have a three month probation period, but felt it only fair to extend this due to the long winter.
 French dream new people will take over the plots, hopefully next weekend, but doubt they will be able to get the plots cleared and planted up this year, hence why they have been wasted  :BangHead:

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2013, 06:03:01 »
We have lost quite a few families.  I think it is hard with children to keep up the commitment when there are so many other pressures on time.  Our average age has been steadily increasing. 

I have been on holiday for 12 days and the increase in weeds in that time has been staggering, ican understand why people could suddenly find it daunting.   I do not think it is too late to relet, several of our plot holders have only just emerged from hibernation.

BritBrat

• Not So New ...
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2013, 07:44:04 »
Maybe new plot holders should leave a £100 returnable deposit if plot is kept in good order and they renew the lease the following  year.

If not the £100 is used to clear the plot to keep the allotment tidy and for new tenats to have a good start.

But my guess is this may be against allotment law.

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2013, 07:45:45 »
They ARE going to be re-let, but are in such a state I doubt they will be cleared in time to plant much in.
We have several families with children that do a great job, are there working (like other committed plot holders) every weekend and some evenings, I'm sorry but think some people use having children as an excuse! Or am I getting cynical!

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2013, 07:47:01 »
Britbrat, not everyone has a spare 100 quid lying around

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2013, 08:30:23 »
I understand where you are coming from Britbrat.  Someone on out site has given up and the plot is in a terrible mess, it is going to take a good deal more than £100 worth of effort getting it straight.   

People should not just dabble and then expect to leave to someone else to sort out the mess.

We have a £25 deposit.

taurus

• Hectare
  • Swindon, Wiltshire
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2013, 08:57:26 »
You would think with the price of food these days that folk would be grateful to get an allotment.  Only last week we had a very fit gent (as in able to do the work) who was horrified that the plot had not been dug :BangHead: :BangHead:.  I pointed out to him that fellow plot holders had been reguley strimming the plot to keep the plot under control and it was partly covered.  Theres no weeds/rubbish as we have removed it as we strimmed it over the last 16 years ( yes that's how long its been with out a tenant).  The council do very little as they want rid of the responsibility of the site and are making moves to hand it over to a private concern, along with the other 27 sites.  Our allotment officer like so many others as more than one job and does his best.  As it is this year all the subsidies are being removed so I think there will be a lot more empty plots from September.  I've now stepped down as site rep, I don't have the energy or the patience for these people any more. I've got to the age where I sit on my bench and have a  :coffee2: the other plots holders and myself will allways give our help and advice where needed.
I found it a thankless task being a site rep and I no that being on any committee is no better.  So all I can say is ''god bless you all'' that do these unpaid jobs.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2013, 14:55:24 »
If a returned plot is heavily overgrown, I strim it down before showing round prospective new tenants.  I do offer to spray 1/2 to 2/3 with weed killer whilst they are clearing and preparing the remainder of the ground by hand.  This is to prevent weed growth whilst they are clearing to give them a fighting start.  Obviously spraying is not to everyone's liking and some prefer to clear all themselves. 
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2013, 15:58:48 »
We have had quite a few leave this year, newbies, been there a couple of yearies and a been here for yonkies, dropping like flies.    :wave:
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal