Author Topic: new to allotments - Otley, West Yorks  (Read 9424 times)

sleepymrsp

• Not So New ...
new to allotments - Otley, West Yorks
« on: May 11, 2013, 07:05:22 »
Got the long awaited phone call this week offering me a choice of allotments. I have mobility problems so the lovely, helpful, council lady helped me find one close to paths which is easy to get to. Been and had a look and am thrilled to bits with what we've ended up with. It doesn't look like it's going to take us much to get going with it. Bit of digging and a strim round the edges I think. Next year we'll worry about paths.

We've had a veg patch in our garden for several years now but we're a family of 6 and it doesn't go very far. I also like the idea of having a shed to go to so I can get out of the house. It's felt for a while now that all I do is sit in the house all day waiting to go to work or waiting until the kids finish school so it'll be good for that.  :coffee2:

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
Re: new to allotments - Otley, West Yorks
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2013, 07:14:02 »
Welcome to the boards Mrs P. Lots of knowledgeable people on here to help when you need it. Good luck with your plot. Is it a full sized one?

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2013, 07:15:30 »
Hi Sleepymrsp, welcome to A4A  :wave:
 :toothy10: Whoo hoo on getting your new lottie, sounds like you have chosen a good one. Bet you can't wait to get everything growing  :happy7:
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

sleepymrsp

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2013, 07:32:08 »
by the looks of it. the plot numbers are shocking on the site so i'm just waiting to get the paperwork through so that I can check it properly and work out what is actually ours! we're 15a or b (can't remember which off hand) and there is a vacant plot with a shed on it that has 15 painted on it so I presume it's that one :/ Hopefully we'll get the paperwork this morning so I can go up there and work it out before I go visit my mums for the weekend. Fab timing though as I have a rare 3 weekends and a week off work coming up and we can't afford a holiday so it'll be great to spend it down there instead. The kids were really excited. They love the veg plot and being outdoors so I think it'll be great for them. We also have multiple food allergies in this house so growing our own is a huge help. They are such lovely, well behaved kids and love being around other people so I think the social aspect will be good for them too.

We got offered a choice of sites and plots but that one being on a main path and needing very little work is ideal for us. Hoping to have a digging party up there to get it going :)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2013, 07:42:08 »
Welcome to A4A.  I hope you enjoy your plot.  We have had a number of children on our site but after a while they get fed up.   I get a bıt peeved when they are allowed to run around on other peoples plots.   

I must say I enjoy knowing that my food has not been sprayed with anything.  My daughter does not like finding slugs in the lettuce I say I do not like not finding them. 

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2013, 08:42:59 »
Welcome Mrs P - glad you got a good one (once you can work out what is what).

What's growing in the garden?  Wish you lots of productive fun on the new patch and of course - (wish for us all) - a decent growing season. :wave:

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2013, 08:56:51 »
Welcome from me too :wave:
It is nice to hear that your kids are keen to growing too..and having a allotment to 'play' with is like being on working holiday..and many, many times a year :icon_cheers: Who needs to go away when you have best of the holidays on your 'door step'  :glasses9:
Lets hope that the weather will give you good first year on your plot..summer to remember :sunny:

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2013, 09:26:27 »
Welcome- you're not far from me. Enjoy your plot- it's a good time to get started.

sleepymrsp

• Not So New ...
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2013, 10:43:38 »
I hate kids running over other people's plots too. My kids are more the type who will say hello and genuinely be interested in what others are doing. Still no paperwork but met the lady we're taking over from. She's had it 15 years and is retiring from it so we really have hit gold. Just hope it's the full plot, not just the half. She's had the full plot for all that time and is giving it all up so here's hoping. The council lady seemed clueless.

sleepymrsp

• Not So New ...
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2013, 10:49:24 »
The garden has french beans, spring onions, leeks, lettices, cabbages, carrots, pak choi and brocoli and there are cucumbers, tomatoes, peppers and courgettes inside waiting for warmer weather.

I just want to know what's mine so I can get planning. Got to say if it is half it might not be feasible as the access will be tricky. Council is moving offices hence the delay I think

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2013, 11:01:56 »
Wow, lucky you, inheriting all that veg! Most people only inherit weeds! Interesting to hear what she's already got in- much more than me!

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2013, 14:38:56 »
The garden has french beans, spring onions, leeks, lettices, cabbages, carrots, pak choi and brocoli and there are cucumbers, tomatoes, peppers and courgettes inside waiting for warmer weather.

I just want to know what's mine so I can get planning. Got to say if it is half it might not be feasible as the access will be tricky. Council is moving offices hence the delay I think

I think I should look for an allotment - garden looks too small for all the stuff I have waiting to be planted out  :toothy10:

Hope you will have the fullsize plot.  Why shouldn't you have a bit of luck and get a good plot?  Somebody has to  :wave: and you are going to make full use of it.

Anyway - welcome again to the madhouse MrsP.  Rain has stopped for a bit, must get on.

RenishawPhil

• Hectare
    • Parking Ticket Appeals Service
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2013, 14:43:54 »
Well done , hope it works out for you. Our allotment numbers are crap.

Lots of time to get the beds filled

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2013, 16:00:22 »
Hiya, welcome to a4a   :wave:
Here's to a season to remember and not to forget like last year  :toothy10:

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2013, 17:42:35 »
Welcome to A4A Mrs P,   :wave:

My dog Graham is from Otley.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

gardentg44

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2013, 06:31:20 »
Welcome to A4A Mrs P,   :wave:

My dog Graham is from Otley.
thomas chippendale was born in otley.
kes   A man with no money in is pocket at christmas is too idle to borrow.

sleepymrsp

• Not So New ...
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2013, 07:20:32 »
The allotment is totally empty, it's my garden with stuff in :) I've planted up loads of seeds to go in though as I can't afford to do much else this year. I'm hoping that because I've sown a lot of stuff inside for the allotment it'll overtake what I've sown directly into the garden and we won't end up with as many gluts (like the year of the sprout a few years back!)

No paperwork in the post yesterday so I've just dropped them an email. Might pop down to the council offices tomorrow if I don't get a reply.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2013, 08:09:58 »
Oh yes.. keep them pestered to get your paper work..other wise it will be autumn before you get started. And while you 'talk' to them..let them know that you are talking about the whole plot or understood that was the case. They might confuse themselves and and put it through paperwork even it wasn't attention in first place! :icon_cheers: :angel11:

Coastie

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2013, 17:54:56 »
Good idea goodlife.  Playing the system can work to our advantage!

sleepymrsp

• Not So New ...
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2013, 18:36:57 »
We've had a map through showing that it's a half plot. There are no boundaries and it's tiny - 4mx4m. Not happy if it is that. She's not given a clear answer to who's on the other side of us either but as it stands it's empty and not currently being used by anyone. Putting in a boundary is going to take up space as well. Not very happy about that. We're going to try and get a straight answer from the site manager I think. I suspect it's possible that they former occupier signed a lease for half the plot but it was for the full plot if you get me.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal