Author Topic: new to allotments - Otley, West Yorks  (Read 9419 times)

sleepymrsp

• Not So New ...
Re: new to allotments - Otley, West Yorks
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2013, 19:40:39 »
well the email has gone off.

"Thanks for that Karen. It would appear that it’s the half plot in which case i’m not sure we’ll be able to take it. My husband is visually impaired as well as me having walking problems. If it’s just the half then we’re not going to be able to put paths in to make it accessible to us without reducing the growing space to next to nothing. I’m worried about the boundary between the 2 plots as well as, at present, there is no clear boundary and putting one in would make a very tiny plot stupidly small. The only access onto 15a is either down the narrow path at the back or over 15b as there is a shed and compost bins in place blocking access from the main path. I’m also concerned that if there is confusion about who has 15a that takes a bit of time to sort out, it will become overgrown and cause us problems. At present the whole plot is bare earth so weeds will have a field day

Clearly you know more than us and obviously there are policies in place etc but if there is any chance of us having the full plot and keeping the status quo we’d be thrilled to take it on as it is perfect. If not then do you have something more suitable on another site?".

Wish me luck! A 7mx4m plot aint much use to anyone!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 20:18:51 by sleepymrsp »

sleepymrsp

• Not So New ...
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2013, 13:24:39 »
went up to the site last night to look at some other options and they've given us a half allotment with level access from the path that we can put pathways in. Only snag is that they sprayed it with weed killer so it won't be much use this year crop-wise but we can get it set up ready. Off up at the weekend with the string and some canes to get it measured out so we can work out where to put the pathways in. Canny wait!

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2013, 14:57:57 »
 :icon_cheers: hope it is dry for you at the weekend  :toothy10:
Have they sprayed the whole of your new plot or where the pathways are going?
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2013, 15:19:15 »
If you don't fancy growing anything on the ground after weedkiller treatment...you can still grow stuff for harvesting seeds...ready for next year :icon_cheers: That means you could plant many, many things....and have 'bags' of seeds to grow, share or swap! :icon_cheers: OR....once the weeds have died down..turn the soil over and sow loads of 'green manure'...it is better to grow something than let weeds take hold of the soil again. Green manure crop would make the soil structure better and you can repeat the sowings until early autumn..keep the soil 'working'..and once the last lot is chopped into ground you can get some winter 'stuff' in :icon_cheers: yes!..food crops :icon_cheers:

...just some ideas...

sleepymrsp

• Not So New ...
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2013, 15:50:42 »
most of it was sprayed. They've said that if we mark out where we are going to put the paths, they will put green manure down where we're going to put the beds. Originally they were going to leave it fallow for a year but if we were happy to take it on we could. I'm thrilled to pieces with it.

RenishawPhil

• Hectare
    • Parking Ticket Appeals Service
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2013, 21:30:02 »
4m x 4m are you joking????

Thts the size of our pumpkin bed
Feel lucky compared to some people who have small allotments

sleepymrsp

• Not So New ...
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2013, 08:25:19 »
Slight exaggeration, it was 4x7m but still tiny. Thrilled with the larger plot though. Access is so much better for a start.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2013, 20:07:57 »
All the best then Sleepy, all systems go.   :wave:
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2013, 11:05:26 »
Don't worry about the weed killer, most probably a type that neutralises when it hits bare earth and only active for a few weeks on the weeds. Try a row of cheap radish seeds to see if it is good to plant in. Also try and find out what they used just in case it is something horrible. It should not be as there are rules and regulations that have to be adhered to when spraying on public ground.

BritBrat

• Not So New ...
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2013, 07:58:45 »
Don't rush into it and get fed up, take your time and enjoy it.

Do a bit of work take a rest and have a cup of tea, feel relaxed and enjoy the allotment.

I bit at a time is better than a lot and it feeling like a chore.

Better to have a small plot to start with and expand later.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 08:02:34 by BritBrat »

RenishawPhil

• Hectare
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2013, 08:26:13 »
Britbrat tht is spot on

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2013, 08:30:41 »
Britbrat tht is spot on

Yes...cup of tea! :coffee2: ....and cake :icon_cheers:  :sunny:

RenishawPhil

• Hectare
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2013, 08:13:22 »
I think the most enjoyable thing really is being able to sit down and have a cuppa tea and a bite to eat once you have got an area looking nice, mown the grass and things look really good in the sunshine. 

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal