Produce > Drink ....

Help

(1/1)

Jokerman:
Hi all,

I started making wine last year, but recently I have noticed that some of the wine has developed a type of sediment. It looks almost like strings of misty globules (prob not the best description). The wine was bottled in Aug 2012 and is mostly apple/rhubarb/carrot.

Obviously I don't want this to happen again so i was just wondering if anyone knew what it was. It doesn't look like the sediment normally thrown out. It seems to be attached to the bottom of the bottle in a strand with a number of suspended pieces. If I shake the bottle it just swirls around.

Sorry for the terrible description.....

Thanks

Lee

Nomspatch:
It is probably a Pectin haze which looks a bit like stringy frogspawn...to check add 100mls methylated spirit to 30 mls of the wine if jelly like clots or strings are formed then you should get and use Pectinol . For each gallon of wine add 5g (i/8 oz) to 280 mls (i/2 pint) of the wine keep warm for 4 hours at 21-27 degrees C stirring occasionally, strain through paper towel or muslin and add to the bulk of the wine again leave the wine at 16-21 C for several days.
Hope this helps (Blackcurrant was it perchance?   always use a Pectin destroying enzyme with high Pectin fruits...it is easier to do in the first place than to cure it afterwards...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version