Author Topic: Not so dried blood - ok to use somewhere?  (Read 1706 times)

vjm63

• Quarter Acre
    • Living in Estia
Not so dried blood - ok to use somewhere?
« on: May 03, 2013, 14:13:36 »
I apologise now if this is a daft question - but I would appreciate some advice!

A few years ago I was given a bag containing some dried blood to use as a fertilizer - but I never used it and it sort of got buried/lost. I have just found it again and 1) it smells a bit, and 2) I think it has got damp in there (not confirmed because point 1 is putting me off a little at the moment! I know - coward.

Do you think it is still viable (?!) as a fertilizer and where would it worthwhile to use it? I have used Growmore and dried chicken poo pellets before but not dried blood.

Thanks!

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Not so dried blood - ok to use somewhere?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 14:26:00 »
It does have bit of smell anyway.. and being damp it will be stronger.
Yes..I would use it. It may not have full strength left but its better than nothing. If you are unsure..you could use it in compost bin..or sprinkle it on soil around brassicas and they will get from it what ever goodness is left. You will soon see if there is any effect left and if it has..month later give little bit more  so it gets used up.

pumkinlover

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 17:37:59 »
That's a relief - I thought that you had had a nasty accident with the secateurs!

vjm63

• Quarter Acre
    • Living in Estia
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 19:59:10 »
Thanks for that Goodlife - I did not want to waste it if it was still of use but I did not want to use it if it would kill anything. 

No Pumpkin - no injuries to anyone with the secateurs although I apparently look somewhat threatening when wielding an axe or saw! So the OH says, anyway ...

pumkinlover

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2013, 21:30:43 »
 :toothy10: :toothy10: :toothy10:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal