Author Topic: Latest time for sowing tomatoes?  (Read 2213 times)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Latest time for sowing tomatoes?
« on: May 02, 2013, 19:27:02 »
My tomatoes are very leggy. I was wondering whether it's too late to sow some more?What's the latest you've sown toms and got a decent harvest?

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Latest time for sowing tomatoes?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 19:55:39 »
Don't worry about your tomatoes being leggy...just plant them deeper and they will root from their stems and make stronger plants in process.
BTW...I've just sown some more tomatoes..though they are short, container type.

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 20:37:13 »
Do as Goodlife says and get them i as deep as possible then if you want more tomatoes nip of the suckers and put them into moist compost, that way you will have some to fall back on
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

slyfox-mal

• Acre
    • my diary
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 20:42:18 »
some people plant them horizontally  most leaves removed  with just the tip showing  to get a bigger root mass  like people are saying  just get them in and they will do ok
The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are,
the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae.

GREGME

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2013, 14:39:49 »
Hi it is getting a bit late to sow new for outdoors but the advice above is good - plant leggy toms deep and make new plants from suckers. Also consider getting plants at markets, car boot sales,plants sales etc  soon which often pays off for me- some interesting varieties often to be found.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2013, 15:20:02 »
There is a plant sale this Sunday and bank holiday Monday at our allotment site if you want to buy some tomato plants......I will have to put a post in news, I'd forgotten!! I've grown 50 different heritage varieties for it I'm sure Saddad will have his spares in too, plus a load of the mini plum types as that was what people were asking for last year. I'm manning the tomato stall as usual!
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2013, 17:43:42 »
Thanks, I'll plant them nice and deep!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal