Author Topic: 2C in a polytunnel - tomatoes?  (Read 1748 times)

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
2C in a polytunnel - tomatoes?
« on: April 24, 2013, 19:02:35 »
Hi - there's a +2C forecast for here tonight. In the old days down South that would have me scurrying around in the back garden bringing the tomato plants into the kitchen overnight but now we're further North and they are in pots in the polytunnel. I'm still finding my way with the tunnel - will the plants survive this temp in it or should I get moving the pots indoors? 

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: 2C in a polytunnel - tomatoes?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 20:11:00 »
We're covering ours with some fleece on friday as it's forecast a bit cool. Ours are in their places now so can't be moved  :toothy10:

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 20:15:47 »
Your Choice Olie they wont get frosted though its 2c outside it wil be a i bit warmer inside. Where i am the temps are not great and most have knocked the heating off so the Tomatoes are in cold greenhouses and doing ok.
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2013, 21:13:11 »
My tomatoes were completely destroyed by a frost here in East Sussex inside polytunnel a few days ago. Be warned. At least throw fleece over them.

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2013, 21:20:24 »
It's quite often a couple of degrees cooler than they forecast, I'd fleece them to be on the safe side.
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2013, 21:42:38 »
Hmmm, thanks guys. Forecast now says a min of 4 and I can't find the garage key which is where the fleece lives... Hopefully will be okay!

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2013, 21:44:53 »
They might sulk and go a bit purple of leaf until they start actively growing again but will survive ok I'm  sure....
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2013, 00:14:17 »
A comment.  I didn`t spot the cold night a few days back and left all my toms in an unheated greenhouse most survived but all but one `Cherokee Purple`have since faded away. I guess it`s a very tender variety.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal