Author Topic: Laying two eggs at a time?  (Read 2050 times)

winecap

• Acre
    • Jon's Allotment
Laying two eggs at a time?
« on: April 08, 2013, 21:21:52 »
One of my hens laid two eggs yesterday morning, but they came out prematurely and were soft shelled so got broken. The hen was somewhat traumatised but came round after about an hour and was eventually feeding and drinking normally again. The eggs came about five hours before her normal laying time, and I assume she couldn't cope with having two at the same time.
So, my first question is whether it is possible for a hen to successfully produce two eggs in a day and with this having happened once with this hen, is she likely to do it again? Any feedback would be good, as I was concerned at first that she wasn't going to survive the experience.

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
Re: Laying two eggs at a time?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 21:57:27 »
We have 2 Speckeldy's & when we first got them they both played 2 eggs occasionally & several double yolkers for s few weeks too.

daveylamp993

• Acre
    • theallotmentandgardenscounciluk.org.uk
Re: Laying two eggs at a time?
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 01:11:33 »
Hens are a bit more durable than we give them credit for,she will probably forgot about it in the next day or two,so dont worry,some of mine did it and were fine the next day.
The BEST Organisation for Allotmenteers is theallotmentsandgardenscounciluk JOIN NOW,Much better and FAR Cheaper than N.S.A.L.G.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal