Author Topic: Edible Britain  (Read 1684 times)

ACE

• Hectare
Edible Britain
« on: April 08, 2013, 09:10:50 »
Nice to see something going on, but why get a cook to head it not even a british cook but a bloke that is more at home eating frogs legs and snails. Surely a gardener should be heading this as it will be encouraging children to grow their own, a cook should stay in the kitchen, below stairs where he belongs. All he could go on about this morning was not to boil your cabbage to death and eat the stalks. Next he will be telling us to make garlic bread. GARLIC BREAD! GARLIC BREAD!  Filthy foreign habit

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: Edible Britain
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 09:58:20 »
Just got our allotment seed pack from the RHS, 7 packs of herbs, 2 packs of edible flowers and  packs of veg. The judging isn't until end of july so I'm wondering when to sow stuff ?
As you say, Ace. At least it's something  :happy7:

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 11:42:18 »
I would get the seeds in modules as quickly as possible under cover then when you have decent plugs move them in or out to advance or retard them ready for getting them in bigger pots to plant the site for judging 3 weeks before. Pull off any dead leaves and take any flowers off that come too early. Pot on if nessessary and you will have show quality plants ready for judging. This is the way I make sure our show plants are ready for the big day. Be prepared to discard any weaklings. I grow five plants for every one that is used. Put a bit of thought into the plot to be judged and give it a bit of a theme in the design. If you need anymore advice on how to win, just put your name and address on the back of a £20 note and I'll get back to you. :angel11:

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 13:23:12 »
I`ve watched it a couple of times and am amazed that they go on about stuff some of us have grown for years.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 17:38:49 »
Thanks for the advice, Ace.   :icon_cheers:
I'll get some 20's printed off and send it a.s.a.p.  :toothy10:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal