Author Topic: Water Supply (Water Fittings) Regulations  (Read 6232 times)

Oblomov

Water Supply (Water Fittings) Regulations
« on: March 08, 2013, 20:08:12 »
Hello all,
I've been reading the forum for some time, but this is my first post; I am hoping someone may have some advice or experience I can pass on to my fellow site members.

My site is self-managed but the local council remains the landlord. We've been asked to list our water tanks etc to ensure we (council's words) 'comply with the Water Supply (Water Fittings) Regulations'. We are currently un-metred and part of the rent goes towards water costs. We have half a dozen dip-tanks connected to a pipe which gets switched off in the winter. There are a few taps for hose connection too. Whilst most plot holders have water butts, there is some use from the tanks and taps. My concern is that this message from the council is a trojan horse for the water board to fit a metre on our site and others across the borough. Whilst I agree with water conservation wholeheartedly, I am concerned if we as a site are found to not meet the regulations and need new tanks installing (and a metre) the cost will force many plot holders to leave, as many are retired or without large disposable incomes.
Has anyone had any experience of their council bringing up these regulations (which have never been brought up before on our site) or having metre put on their site?

Thanks for reading (if you got this far!), any advice will be received gratefully.
Oblomov

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
Re: Water Supply (Water Fittings) Regulations
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 23:20:48 »
Regulation 2.(4) "Nothing in these Regulations shall require any person to remove, replace, alter, disconnect or cease to use any water fitting which was lawfully installed or used, or capable of being used, before 1st July 1999."

Was any work done on the plumbing after July 1999?

There's quite a lot in the Regulations and some of it looks really petty - like telling the water company before you do any plumbing, but the significant bit about fittings is that you need an anti-syphonic double-check valve somewhere in the line before the dip-tanks, and it looks like it's also a requirement to have isolating valves at the dip-tanks too - but like I said, if they were installed before 1999 the Regulations don't apply.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

daveyboi

• Hectare
  • Have fun enjoy your allotment
    • Daveyboi's Blog and personal website
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2013, 04:06:01 »
As Unwashed said covers it but basically the worst it could mean is the installation of a double check valve on the dip tanks at a cost of about £6 each and changing the taps on the stand pipes to ones which include a double check valve if not fitted already again a cost of about £7 each.

Although the regulations regarding pre 1999 installations applies it does not mean that pre 1999 installations did not have check valves installed.

Daveyboi
Near Haywards Heath Southern U.K.

Visit My Blog if you would like to

Oblomov

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2013, 09:18:47 »
Many thanks for your replies. The tanks have been in place for years 20+, subject to a few repairs. I will check re the double check valve and install one if necessary.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal