Author Topic: My girls  (Read 2049 times)

goodlife

• Hectare
My girls
« on: March 07, 2013, 17:08:52 »
I've been having some 'quality time' with the girls...given the fresh bedding and drinks and treats and they've had little wonder in the garden too...taste of freedom until the plants started feel too much fresh air around their roots.
Here is my biggen's..
If I remember right the grey ones are now about 5 yrs old and the white 4..still laying enough for two of us  :icon_cheers:
I have now decided that they will retire when they are ready and not changed into new..younger models until old girls and popped their clogs.

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: My girls
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 17:15:49 »
..and one pic to show my 'monkey'  :toothy10:
She is my 'darling'..very cheeky, lively and so used to being handled..don't mind being picked up at all. When she was younger and much lighter she used to jump up on bottom half of the pen door, perching there and waiting to be carried away.
She was originally from batch of school chicks and once few weeks old and not fluffy little thing anymore..kids didn't want them anymore. I inherited her and her sister in point of lay..sadly the other one didn't make it and I lost her when she was 2. I propably shared that story...about me giving her kiss of life and being sick all over...those were the days (or not) :glasses9:

pumkinlover

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 18:03:34 »
Look lovely happy chooks!

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 21:00:17 »
Oh yes they are very happy :toothy10:
All those 4 share same mother but different fathers..The two grey ones on the middle are proper madam's, they rule the roost and they walk about very majestic, cool and calm manner...nothing bothering and almost like having very stiff upper lip. They do allow me to pet them, but do make some disapproving noises..it is almost like being on my arms is lowering their standars.
The one on the left 'leather head' is few month older..proper spring chick. When she came to us, she had very little facial 'fluff' compared to others = hence leather head. It only took little bit of time and some extra food in my care and she soon bulked up and turned to look like her sisters...though she has always been little lighter framed and don't seem to put weight on very easily. Comes to show how important correct nutrition is from early on.
Because leather head came from different lot..she's always been treated as 'outsider'..not bullied, but the other two grey ones (there used to be third one too) being from same lot are always more close together.
White one is one free spirit..she always doing her own thing and can't care less of their company. She is always first on food bowl or munching treats away..first one running on door, trying to get out and last one going in and often not willingly but I have to carry her in.
Funny things.. chickens .. :toothy10:

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2013, 07:48:40 »
Goodlife, they look absolutely lovely.  Isn't it nice now the days are a bit longer, and the chickens can enjoy the slightly better weather?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal