Author Topic: Allotments 4 All 2013 Meeting  (Read 54038 times)

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Allotments 4 All 2013 Meeting
« Reply #180 on: July 20, 2013, 20:08:42 »
Right...about the food then...
Lavender bickies..MMMMMM
OHHH..that meat pie...MMMMMM
Warm bread with mushroom pate.....MMMMM-MMMMMM
Samosas...MMMMMM
CHERRIES!!!!!!.....MMMMMMM
Sandwiches....MMMMMMM
Cream cake.....MMMMMM
Feta quiche....MMMMMM

HUH...no wonder I was 'bit' full at one time...and then there was the cous cous, and other sort of bickies..AND AND.. :icon_cheers:
Pickled courgettes and courgette and cheese 'bake'..and and.. sorry if I forgot to mention it all but my tummy don't have much memory left..it is still all full up :icon_cheers:

Oh yes..we did see some gardens too...just nice and gentle stroll around to get all that food down.. :icon_cheers:
It was nice to see all the different ways people do their plots and how much flowers were used, SO PRETTY! Enjoyed doing mental comparison to my own plants for how different stages people's crops are.
AND WE WAS THE FAMOUS CATS?!...shed was nice though..more likely luxury apartment than a shed  :icon_cheers:

pumkinlover

« Reply #181 on: July 20, 2013, 20:21:05 »
Galina

Grandad

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #182 on: July 20, 2013, 20:22:39 »
Ahh..did granddad get one of the plants too? :icon_cheers: I didn't see his plot!?

pumkinlover

« Reply #183 on: July 20, 2013, 20:30:53 »
Grandads plot should be good next year as every time I saw him he had picked up some more  seeds  :icon_cheers:

Shirlton

Lottie lou.Ellen K and Mr Goodlife

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #184 on: July 20, 2013, 20:38:06 »
OH...and thank your the 'other hospitality'...even without those 'necessary' hand driers they were comfy and clean and with plenty of paper too... :icon_cheers:                                                                            ...I used two 'sheets'! :evil4: :laughing7:

pumkinlover

« Reply #185 on: July 20, 2013, 21:15:07 »
My last photo as it took me ages to work out how to take the pictures with my phone!
Big thanks to everyone for great food and the seeds and plants. Especially to Cam for the idea and to the hosts at Walsall road even one lady who was not on the forum but came to welcome us!
Last picture is Betty

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #186 on: July 20, 2013, 22:14:16 »
Oooh Pumpkinlover, that photo of me....forgot about my hat - I look like one of Frankenstein's monsters with a big join in my neck.

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #187 on: July 20, 2013, 22:18:57 »
Shirl, may I have your recipe for the lovely pickled courgettes please?  Thanks May

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #188 on: July 21, 2013, 06:54:12 »
It was a good thing I decided to wait by the gate for people to arrive because for some
unknown reason my phone had decided not to work, and I didn't find out about it till the
evening when I tried to ring my son.  I removed and then replaced the battery and everything
was fine then, except that a text from DebP was there, telling me that she couldn't make
the meeting.  I had forgotten to put her number in the phone so I couldn't ring to see if
everything was alright.  If I had, I would have seen that the gremlins had got to the
phone and I could have sorted it.  Never mind, Deb was alright and that was the main
thing.

I'm so glad everyone enjoyed the day, I know we did and we are very happy to
do it again.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

pumkinlover

« Reply #189 on: July 21, 2013, 07:30:41 »
Oooh Pumpkinlover, that photo of me....forgot about my hat - I look like one of Frankenstein's monsters with a big join in my neck.

LOL! no you don't- you look elegant and very  :sunny:

Shirl, may I have your recipe for the lovely pickled courgettes please?  Thanks May

And we all liked the mushroom pate so any chance of that recipe?

Can you post please as I was going to ask for the same thing. It might even be a way of getting Mr PKL to enjoy eating them!
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 07:32:12 by pumpkinlover »

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
« Reply #190 on: July 21, 2013, 07:42:38 »
It was a great day out, loved it !!  Thank you all very much.

I now have a great collection of flowers and beans to plant next year.

And I slept like a log last night, best nights sleep for weeks with all that food inside me.

Thanks all.

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #191 on: July 21, 2013, 07:44:43 »
Thanks for the pictures, they're fab. So nice to share a little bit of the day, it looks like everyone had a super time  :toothy10:
Wow that food looks good  :drunken_smilie:
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #192 on: July 21, 2013, 08:20:23 »
It was really lovely meeting people.  I had a lovely time though arrived very stressed.  I really do need a stat nav, I should have borrowed one from my daughter.   Just seen where Aldridge was, not clear why I ended up there.  But once there it is like Ikea you cannot find the way out.

I do so much love seeing the Walsall road allotments.  Someone had some excellent onions only about three inches apart.  They seemed to be growing in 100% compost.  I wish we had more of a community spirit as well.   

I could not believe how far on peoples beans are, everyone on our site is really struggling.

I would love the elderflower cordial recipe please, that was lovely especially with the fizzy water.  Big thank you to everyone.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #193 on: July 21, 2013, 08:32:13 »

It was nice to see all the different ways people do their plots and how much flowers were used, SO PRETTY! Enjoyed doing mental comparison to my own plants for how different stages people's crops are.

Shirlton's gooseberry bushes are trained as a fan!  Makes picking so much easier.  Now how do I get my bushes looking like that?

Layered sweetpeas with all the flowers prominently pointing upwards.  How unusual.  Golden hops on archways.

And their courgettes are in full production!!!  The beetroots are so good, the birds are trying to have some too, so had to be netted.

Fabulous plots.

The whole site is looking good.  Almost all plots immaculately tended.  One already had pounds of runnerbeans hanging off their plants.  And the size of some of the onions!!!

It is a gardening inspiration to come and visit Wallsall Road and we were very lucky to have a guided tour.  Everything looked lovely and lush.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #194 on: July 21, 2013, 09:58:41 »
Digeroo. in case you haven't spotted it, the link to the cordial recipe is im my post earlier in this thread! ;)

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #195 on: July 21, 2013, 10:18:14 »
Next year I shall be quizzing OH about cricket dates. It looks like you all had a fantabulous time. Lovely to put faces to names. The pictures are great & I love the one for Ace :icon_cheers:.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #196 on: July 21, 2013, 10:29:50 »
Sorry I couldn't make it in the end, I had to sort a bit of a crisis for my mum (all ok now) my family are a bit thrilled though coz they got to eat 16 choc chip muffins I had made to bring with me! I was a bit worried I had texted a total stranger when I didn't get a reply from Betty yesterday, but phone trouble explains it all. That food looked scrummy too, oh well, next time eh!
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #197 on: July 21, 2013, 10:34:38 »
Glad you all had a great day, lots of great piccies but as said could only work out a few names to the faces.  :sunny: :wave:
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #198 on: July 21, 2013, 11:18:44 »
Just managed to get on line at the campsite.   :blob7:

What a wonderful, wonderful day; John and I enjoyed it immensely.  We would especially like to thank Betty and Shirl for all the hard work they put in.  Thanks also to their plot friend Pauline who helped with food and drinks etc.  Also, a thank you to Cam whose idea it was. 

It was lovely to meet everyone and what lovely food and drink supplied by all.  The photos on here are excellent.  If you haven't worked out who is who yet, just put the photo number on here and one or other of us will be able to enlighten you.

I don't have an allotment, only a very big garden.  I was surprised at how friendly and chatty the plot holders were and how they all seemed to know each other.  It was good to see how others arrange their vegetable gardens and what can be used to support netting etc.  A pleasant surprise was to see how many flowers were grown on plots too.  I really wasn't expecting that.

It was a really great day and thank you to  everyone for a most enjoyable time.  I am looking forward to next year now!

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #199 on: July 21, 2013, 13:43:03 »
Well i am so thrilled that it all went well i arrived to find the group from A4A sitting around in a circle with much nattering going on and to a warm reception and lots of hugs. In fact it reminded me of a family reunion where people only normally get together for funerals and weddings warm and welcoming with a touch of "who are you :)" although thanks to betty & Shirley for there organisation skills we all had little name badges and there tender cares made it so much more a family feel event.

The day was pretty perfect and its the most fun i have had in quite a while :) Harriet had a great time and has a bag of seeds for the nursery so they can grow cress now and sunflowers next year the seed swap was great and thanks to melborne12 for such a generous selection i have bagged up some seeds other people and there going into the post monday :) Even the husband had a great time lots of NON veg growing nattering going on as well hehe

Big hugs have to go the Berry and Shirley for all there hard work i know they did not stop for the day making tea and making sure everyone was happy and i know from speaking to everyone there and the posts here we really appreciate you hard work and if you will have us back next year we should do this again most defiantly :)

Big hugs to everyone who can make it xx

Cam

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal