Author Topic: AGAIN!  (Read 4645 times)

Golach

• Half Acre
AGAIN!
« on: April 27, 2014, 18:18:40 »
Just back from the allotment and I am in one mother f***** of a foul mood.

The phantom flytipper's struck again.

This time, what a mess.  Old carpet, tons of weeds, plastic bags, beer cans spread between my plot, the plot next door and the one behind.

Know who it is because he's pruned one of the trees and dumped the branches on my plot.

Rightly or wrongly, the rubbish is now back on his plot, piled up against his shed door.

Not only has he made a mess of my plot but has also removed the plot number sign.  I only repaired it and replaced it last weekend.  It was a really nice sign made by the previous tenant.  It was Welsh slate.  It is nowhere to be seen.

We have taken photographs of the tree, the branch, the old carpet (some of which is rolled up on his plot) and I will be firing off an e-mail tonight backed up with a phone call first thing tomorrow morning.

The irony was, I was supposed to be getting the shed this weekend.  Got let down yesterday with a promise of today (which never happened).  Had I not been let down I would probably have caught him in the act.

Just as well the S-O-B wasn't there this afternoon.  I was so angry I think I would have hit him with the garden fork or kicked him with my steel toecap boots.

He's a newbie to the allotments and obviously thinks he can do what he likes.

Not on my plots he doesn't :angry4:

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Re: AGAIN!
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2014, 18:39:09 »
It's unbelievable how some people behave! Sorry you've had this trouble and I hope he gets what he deserves!

Golach

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2014, 23:50:16 »
It's unbelievable how some people behave! Sorry you've had this trouble and I hope he gets what he deserves!

I hope he gets what he deserves too but I won't hold my breath waiting.

Went back later on this evening with a new sign, some wooden stakes and rope (well, washing line - does the same job) and cordoned off my plot.  Really shouldn't have to do that.

Everyone else gets along fine, friendly, helpful people then we get a moron who spoils it for everyone.

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 10:43:47 »
Unbelievable how people can think this is an Ok thing to do!!! Who is this creep!?
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2014, 13:42:15 »
There is normally one on every site (or in every group) who thinks the rules do not apply to them - it sounds like you are doing the right thing in your response, which can be difficult when emotions run high!  just be careful not to loose you rag when you see the offender!!
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Golach

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2014, 22:27:12 »
There is normally one on every site (or in every group) who thinks the rules do not apply to them - it sounds like you are doing the right thing in your response, which can be difficult when emotions run high!  just be careful not to loose you rag when you see the offender!!

Keeping my rag will be very difficult as I have a very fiery temper.  I might be only 5ft tall but having trained in the Martial Arts for a long time, I pack a hefty kick and a good punch  :whip2:

Prefer not to do that unless I really have to (for self-defence or protecting my family or friends).

Anyway, fired off an e-mail to the council last night along with the photographs we took.  The chap in charge is on leave today but back tomorrow so I'll phone him then and see what he has to say.

Was going to go to the allotment when I finished work tonight but it decided to hammer down with thundery rain so I didn't go.

I wonder if my new sign and the rope is still there.  Will be interesting to find out but I have a feeling it's probably gone.  I have not seen who this person is yet but I do know that since he came on the allotments over the past few weeks, things have been stolen from other people, really stupid things like rope.  One of my allotment neighbours who has 4 allotments, virtually all of the far corner and spends most weekends there with their kids had all the rope which cordons off their allotments taken.  They had to put up more.

I think it's the same person.  Wish I could get a small CCTV camera that runs off batteries and an SD card.  I'm sure my allotment neighbour would let me put it on his shed, just under the roof which would more or less conceal it.

I'll let you know how the conversation with the council goes when I get home from work tomorrow.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2014, 07:30:47 »

I think it's the same person.  Wish I could get a small CCTV camera that runs off batteries and an SD card.  I'm sure my allotment neighbour would let me put it on his shed, just under the roof which would more or less conceal it.

You can get these sort of cameras - we had to get one where I work.   Not sure it is worth the expense as you probably have to pay about £100.  Maybe worth it if it continues.
Best of luck catching and dealing with the little bar steward!
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2014, 08:12:04 »
I think that sometimes newcomers don't understand the etiquette of allotmenteering.

It's by no means on the same scale as Golach's problem, but a couple of months ago we drew up outside the gates, and watched a newbie next to one of our plots quite unselfconsciously digging his beds and throwing the weed roots and stones over onto our plot.  He just hadn't thought that such behaviour wasn't quite the done thing!
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 08:14:45 by Melbourne12 »

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2014, 09:31:12 »
Whoaa...I have to say there is some brainless people about...how can one 'not realize' ?..would they like if somebody else would chuck their stuff on their plot?
Honestly...mind boggles... :drunken_smilie:
But as it is already said....there is one where ever you go and what ever occasion.. :BangHead:

Golach

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2014, 21:50:25 »
Well, had words with the flytipper at the weekend.  Of course, he denied all knowledge even when I pointed out the tree he'd cut branches from and dumped on my plot.

I told him that if he has rubbish to take it to beside the car park and the council will take it away.  His reply:

"I haven't got time for that so I'm just dumping it under the hedge:angry4:

He obviously hasn't bothered to read the terms of his lease.  Of course, the inevitable has now happened.  Another newbie is copying this one and dumping stuff not only on the hedge but on the path.  One of the other tenants told me she had to moved the debris off the path just to get access to the water trough.

I'm now looking at other vacant plots and may give up the two I've got and get one further down.  There are 50 allotments vacant at the moment.  The only thing that holds me back from doing that is I've already spent a lot of time and effort on the two I've got although I haven't planted anything yet and I don't really like giving in to people like that but I like going to the plot but I'm getting too old to be bothered with hassle from people who are old enough to know better and are just plain arrogant, ignorant and downright lazy.

How just a couple of selfish idiots can spoil it for other people.

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2014, 22:32:21 »
I don't have a lot of experience in this area as I'm on a private allotment with no committee ... but isn't this sort of thing precisely what committees, chairmen and so forth are for?  Can't you simply report the allotment vandal for breach of the lease and it will be dealt with?

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2014, 21:41:53 »
Don't give up Golash.
This sort of behaviour would make me see deep red.
The character must be stopped. I have a few choice remedies which I won't print here.
Put everything in writing with copies to all relevant parties. If your Authoritie(s) don't act you have comeback on them.
Keep us informed.
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

Golach

• Half Acre
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2014, 19:31:14 »
So far, nothing else has been dumped on either of my plots.  However, the debris (loads of it) is still under the hedge.  The council are aware of it and they are supposed to be putting a work team in to remove it.  When that will be is anyone's guess.  The only thing that was in the way today was two pieces of wood, not very big, left on the path between my plot and the one next door (the other flytipper).  I don't think there was anything other than he'd put it there and forgot about it.  As I was trimming the path with my latest piece of allotment kit - a cordless strimmer - el cheapo from Argos but does the job quite well, I just knocked them back into his plot with my foot.

I was left a little present today - 9 young tomato plants left at the top of Plot No. 1 in pots - 3 to a pot so needing potting on.  I have no idea who left them which is a bit annoying because I can't, at the moment until I find out who they came from, return the gift with something I've grown.

I shall have to ask around.

Very kind and thoughtful of the person who left them for me.  This is the thing.  The vast majority of people there are very kind and helpful but you always get one.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2014, 18:42:07 »
Maybe someone feels guilty.      :drunken_smilie:
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Golach

• Half Acre
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2014, 19:28:10 »
Maybe someone feels guilty.      :drunken_smilie: