Author Topic: Seed Sharing Circle 2013  (Read 85436 times)

Tashsteve

• Not So New ...
Re: Seed Sharing Circle 2013
« Reply #160 on: August 22, 2013, 15:36:49 »
Hi all this post is interesting I see you have alot of interesting seeds I wouldn't mind some but I don't realy have any rare ones to offer. I have got some pumpkins that I will be harvesting in a month or two and they are doing realy great so I think I should have a good batch of seeds.  Other than that I don't have alot to contribute :(

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #161 on: August 26, 2013, 10:56:32 »
Hi Steve

If you have a look the page 1..you can see what this circle is all about...it is not swap as such. At the beginning of the year we all 'sign in' to the circle..we grow the crops that are purposely grown for that reason and end of the year, each person from the circle get some of each others seeds.
Perharps you like to join again in few month time when it is time to start planning for next year?.. :toothy10:
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 11:04:57 by goodlife »

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #162 on: August 26, 2013, 11:02:47 »
Another progress report... :wave:
FINALLY the corn has decided to make show of itself.. :icon_cheers: Tassles are out!!!! and the plants are about 11 ft tall now.. :drunken_smilie: Never had such a monsters before :glasses9: If the weather keeps reasonable until end of October...there is chance that they make it to seeds...
Tomato seeds are fermenting...broadbeans are all harvested and drying out, almost ready for shelling.. :icon_cheers:...cucs have ripened and I'm about to take seeds out...its all go-go.
Oh..pumpkins are getting huge...and looks like there is going to be bumper crop of seeds there.. :icon_cheers:
It won't be long and we have to start digging those seed bags out..... :icon_cheers:

Oh..edit to add....lettuces are in full bloom in GH... :icon_cheers: ....MORE seeds! :icon_cheers:

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #163 on: August 27, 2013, 19:24:23 »
I've just started podding my broadies today. Not for swapping; I haven't saved that many, and they're all F1's or F2's from my own mix, so  don't know what they'll turn into next year. Peas are coming in fine despite a bit of a disaster when some wigwams toppled, just when my back was really bad and I couldn't do anything about it. Result was the seed got mixed, and there isn't much of some varieties. Never mind, at least I haven't lost any!
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 19:27:05 by Robert_Brenchley »

Debs

• Hectare
  • If at first you don't succeed, try and try again!!
« Reply #164 on: August 30, 2013, 15:25:45 »
I was planning on growing the french banana shallot 'eschalote gris' but won't be getting the shallots until september so nothing from me this year I'm afraid :(

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #165 on: August 31, 2013, 06:51:07 »
I was planning on growing the french banana shallot 'eschalote gris' but won't be getting the shallots until september so nothing from me this year I'm afraid :(

Oh, don't give up yet Debs!  Do you have any non F1 tomatoes growing?  Or any beans?  Are any of your lettuces bolting? Maybe your peas are still producing?  There is still time to switch to another crop or two.  Good luck!

I wanted to contribute seeds of herb Salad Burnett.  Can't do that either this year, because none of them are flowering yet.   :BangHead:  So that will have to wait.  One the other hand, the second sowing of Mexican Sour Gherkin/Mouse Melon/melothria scabra now has tiny little fruits on the plants.  :happy7:  Fingers crossed there.  Peas for the circle are done and beans are in progress.  As every year I have hand pollinated squashes and we will see whether it is a good seed year with enough seeds for everybody or few seeds only, just enough to carry on.  Last year was seedless, great shame because I could not take any seeds of Jeannine's rare squashes.  But the weather this year is much warmer, so there should be some at least.  Handpollinating Todo el Ano (with a tilde over the n) and still hoping that one year I will have enough for the circle.  Also Striped Custard Marrow, a pattypan type courgette, which is shaped a bit like a tulip flower with scalloped edges.  The stripes are only visible when the fruit is very mature.  At the normal eating stage, it is just very pale green.  3 handpollinated fruits so far, but they are low down on the plants and at risk from slugs, mice and voles.  Fingers crossed.  Collecting Mescher lettuce seeds daily too.  Seeds for cherry tomato Ester Hess is fermented and dried for the circle, just needs putting into packets.   

Your corn sounds just fab, goodlife!  There is a crop that needs a big commitment!  Thank you for doing this for us (and Jayb!).   :wave:

« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 07:04:20 by galina »

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #166 on: August 31, 2013, 08:56:25 »
Your corn sounds just fab, goodlife!  There is a crop that needs a big commitment!
Talking about  'big'...I'm actually laughing myself for my big plans earlier on this year...I was supposed to hand pollinate the corn :icon_cheers:
I can't even reach the tassels to grab some pollen...nor to transfer it :drunken_smilie:
This was few days ago..and they are even taller now that the male tassels are poking out...not far from 12 ft :drunken_smilie:
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 09:02:28 by goodlife »

Nigel B

• Hectare
« Reply #167 on: August 31, 2013, 19:25:37 »
I'm pretty sure we have the Goji Berry seeds in hand :)

« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 19:28:14 by Nigel B »
"Carry on therefore with your good work.  Do not rest on your spades, except for those brief periods which are every gardeners privilege."

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #168 on: September 01, 2013, 17:39:00 »
I have just harvested plenty of Sweet Cicely  seeds ( one of my favourite seeds) would anyone be interested?

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #169 on: September 01, 2013, 19:53:42 »
I have just harvested plenty of Sweet Cicely  seeds ( one of my favourite seeds) would anyone be interested?
:icon_thumleft:

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #170 on: September 01, 2013, 20:21:17 »
yes please, have never tried it but wanted to for a while.   :wave:   How do you use it?

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #171 on: September 02, 2013, 08:56:56 »
Great  they are just such a handsome seed, when I sowed them I took great care  to which they did not respond so I took the pots out of the greenhouse (unheated) stuck them out in the cold over winter  and next spring up they popped , they are very hardy and have a strong tap root .

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #172 on: September 10, 2013, 08:46:30 »
Another Yes please  :toothy10:
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #173 on: September 10, 2013, 08:53:02 »
Hi all this post is interesting I see you have alot of interesting seeds I wouldn't mind some but I don't realy have any rare ones to offer. I have got some pumpkins that I will be harvesting in a month or two and they are doing realy great so I think I should have a good batch of seeds.  Other than that I don't have alot to contribute :(
Hi Tashsteve, thanks for the interest in the circle, pretty much as Goodlife said, it would be better to join in and start a new group at the beginning of 2014. But I'd be happy to send you a selection of seeds for you to grow next year, pm me if you would like some  :wave:

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #174 on: September 10, 2013, 09:05:26 »
Oooh exciting, love the updates  :icon_cheers:

Hi Nigel, I couldn't get your picture to open, not sure if it's me having a numpty moment!
Know how you feel Goodlife, the Glass Gem Corn was soooo much taller than I imagined! Although they are not ready for seed I picked one yesterday, I couldn't wait any longer to see what they looked like! Not quite like the pictures on the net, seeds are small compared to sweet corn, but pretty none the less and hopefully they will pop once dried.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 09:09:09 by Jayb »

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #175 on: September 10, 2013, 10:27:15 »
I managed to locate and have grown Monstrance bean this year, as the ones shared previously in the group failed to germinate for me. I thought they were going to be a dwarf bean, my mistake, a climber with white flowers. They are a little late, but I'm hoping they will ripen enough beans to include in the circle. Whilst having a google I came across a thread on another forum and it appears these may be the same as Red Eye Greasy beans, although really it is not a greasy been but a fall bean! Anyway I've also some Red Eye Greasy beans growing and they do appear very similar. Red Eyes came from Remy, her site now has updated information http://www.sampleseeds.com/?page_id=3725

Ian Pearson

• Acre
    • Growing Oca
« Reply #176 on: September 16, 2013, 18:00:48 »
Getting ready to bag up! The red field peas 'Biskopens Graaert are dried and there is enough for a generous bag for everyone. I'm also providing parsnip, salsify, and Cheltenham Greentop beetroot.
I know the parcel from a couple of years ago included Painted Mountain corn(who sent it?) but membership changes, and seed gets old, so if it's wanted, I've collected lots and can add it to the parcel.
I might also be able to collect skirret too. It's not ripe yet, and the weather will have to behave.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #177 on: September 16, 2013, 19:02:50 »
Ohhhh....its getting quite exciting now...all those 'little' seeds drying out all over the country and getting ready for their new homes.. :icon_cheers:
I still got quite few 'bits and bobs' to dry out...some are still on plants and won't be ready until last moment and others dried and ready for bagging to portions.
Jayb...your corn is very pretty..though much darker than in 'advertized'..you can still see from your photo the 'glassness' as the seeds are not 'solid coloured. Looooovely...looking forward for those.. :icon_cheers:

Well...I look forward for everything/anything.. :drunken_smilie:
Ian...for list of 'stuff' you have to come..sounds like its been good year for you..pst, Painted mountain corn was from Jayb.

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #178 on: September 17, 2013, 13:31:40 »
Getting ready to bag up! The red field peas 'Biskopens Graaert are dried and there is enough for a generous bag for everyone. I'm also providing parsnip, salsify, and Cheltenham Greentop beetroot.
I know the parcel from a couple of years ago included Painted Mountain corn(who sent it?) but membership changes, and seed gets old, so if it's wanted, I've collected lots and can add it to the parcel.
I might also be able to collect skirret too. It's not ripe yet, and the weather will have to behave.

Fantastic  :icon_cheers:

I added Painted Mountain a little while back. I've a couple of other corn projects on the go so I won't have space to grow it for a couple of years, fresh seed would be welcome  :happy7:

SueK

• Half Acre
  • Pudsey, West Yorkshire
« Reply #179 on: September 17, 2013, 13:40:56 »
I still got quite few 'bits and bobs' to dry out...some are still on plants and won't be ready until last moment and others dried and ready for bagging to portions.

How I sympathise as I'm playing the waiting game with my tomato plants and have brought most of them inside to benefit from the warmth, although the first batch of Yabloki Na Snegu seeds are fermenting in the kitchen.    :clock: 

Maybe I've got it wrong and they are pining for the Urals! :happy7:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal