Author Topic: Seed Sharing Circle 2013  (Read 85631 times)

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
Re: Seed Sharing Circle 2013
« Reply #140 on: July 07, 2013, 13:48:24 »
That kale looks lovely and soft- almost like spinach!

Sorry to disappoint no pictures of the Kale only the Choy Sum, you're right the leaves are nice and tender  :happy7:

I'll try and get a picture of the Kale later on.
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #141 on: July 09, 2013, 11:16:44 »
Last year I saved the seeds from some pineberries ,I now have a huge bed of plants covered in fruit all untouched by the budgies I can see why the shops except Wautrose don't sell them as they are a little squidgy , so would anybody be interested in seeds ?

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #142 on: July 09, 2013, 16:08:11 »
yes please  :wave:

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #143 on: July 09, 2013, 16:53:13 »
Good, I'll save plenty.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #144 on: July 09, 2013, 21:20:39 »
 :icon_thumleft:

pumkinlover

« Reply #145 on: July 10, 2013, 13:10:27 »
What is the taste like?

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #146 on: July 12, 2013, 16:31:00 »
They do have a feint pineapple taste ,quite juicy .A few plants last year have turned into hundreds all covered in fruit , slugs and birds stay away. They are possibly style over substance but for no effort  you get a lot of fruit and they do look lovely , I made some lavender meringues in colour too, and strewn with the pineberries looked very pretty . Commercially I would imagine they are a non starter only seen them in Waitrose but they do have a place on the plot or even better in my tum!

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #147 on: July 14, 2013, 17:05:39 »
Another pineberry fan, flavour is lovely, I just wish the fruit were a bit bigger.

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #148 on: July 14, 2013, 17:18:27 »
Glass Gem corn is turning into a bit of a triffid Shoulder height and no sign of tassels. It's defo going to be on the late side, I hope it won't clash with my sweet corn!

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #149 on: July 16, 2013, 08:55:24 »
Glass Gem corn is turning into a bit of a triffid Shoulder height and no sign of tassels. It's defo going to be on the late side, I hope it won't clash with my sweet corn!
WHAAAT! Shoulder height already!...you must be 4 ft 'tall' then  :tongue3: Cherokee white that I'm growing has been slow the get going as we had so cool night temps earlier on the summer...but last few weeks they have finally taken off  :icon_cheers: They are no where as tall as yours yet..only about 2 ft but they do look VERY healthy and the stems are really thick (good sign for some potential vigour) and the side 'shoots' are almost as tall as the leader and there is lots of them..quite bushy plants  :icon_cheers:
At the moment I'm 'force feeding' and watering my corn to get it bulk up quickly and hopefully they are willing to tassle up more readily too. I know corn growth is 'on timer' and they do what they are 'programmed' to do...but, one can only live in hope and do one's best in case it there is chance to influence the growth :glasses9: Lets hope we get looooong and warm autumn to get the corn ripen up.
Hangdown broadbeans are doing GREAT :icon_cheers: LOADS and LOADS of pods have set and now I'm just waiting them to mature for seed harversting...been eating quite a lot too and still there is more than I can cope with :icon_cheers:
I've got some lettuces that are just starting to go to seed...I didn't originally list those up as possibilities for seedsaving..but I have been living in hope that they would make it this year..so fingers crossed for success.
OH..PEAS...LOADS of them..and again..didn't promise earlier on any...but they have done well and some will find into circle too :icon_cheers:
That's for the update so far...
Oh..not yet...edit to add...some tomato seeds may end up into parcel too...last year being disaster for my toms and I was planning then to include some varieties but there was no luck. I was left with only few seeds for this year and luckily I have some healthy plants with some healthy and plump tomatoes hanging on :icon_cheers: I will save some tomato seeds this year as well  :icon_cheers:
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 09:03:32 by goodlife »

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #150 on: August 03, 2013, 15:37:32 »
2 weeks have gone from my last post and my corn is grown a lot!! :icon_cheers: ...over 6 ft tall now, still 'babies' and should gain couple feet more.

Nigel B

• Hectare
« Reply #151 on: August 03, 2013, 16:02:37 »
Wow Goodlife! How I'd like a bed of corn like that..
The allotment has proved, sadly, really not good for corn, (Rabbits and very strong winds), but I always plant some in the garden (Its the riebel maize this year), and its catching up! Not six foot yet, but big and strong it certainly is!
"Carry on therefore with your good work.  Do not rest on your spades, except for those brief periods which are every gardeners privilege."

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #152 on: August 03, 2013, 19:46:21 »
I'm getting pea seeds harvested. The broadies have done well, but they're all hybridised and I don't know what they'll turn into so I won't include the mix this year. The day length neutral ones are up and if they produce a crop I'll put those in. Rat tailed radishes are five feet high and flopping all over everything.

Nigel B

• Hectare
« Reply #153 on: August 04, 2013, 14:33:05 »
I know this may be controversial, but what about Goji Berry?
I have a Young Goji that is producing berries right along its branches. I'll get pics. I know the only other one on the site is the same, as this one is a direct cutting.
I wonder if anyone knows if its fertility will pass on? Or will it produce seeds of an inferior type d'ya think?
"Carry on therefore with your good work.  Do not rest on your spades, except for those brief periods which are every gardeners privilege."

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #154 on: August 04, 2013, 14:52:38 »
WELL DONE for get getting some goji berries...I never managed that and plants were eaten down by slugs and snails.
If there is berries...there will be seeds and new plants are easily grown from them.
I can't say anything about new plants being inferior...I doubt it. Your seed suggestion sound good to me :icon_thumleft:

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #155 on: August 12, 2013, 17:26:19 »
Update with corn: some of the plants are now 9ft tall :toothy10: BUT...not a sign of tassels yet :BangHead: I'm getting a bit 'twitchy' about it, because if they don't soon start casting pollen, they won't make it before the cold weather.
Fingers crossed they will want to have some 'sex' soon and the autumn is long and warm :sunny:

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #156 on: August 12, 2013, 17:53:29 »
Update with corn: some of the plants are now 9ft tall :toothy10: BUT...not a sign of tassels yet :BangHead: I'm getting a bit 'twitchy' about it, because if they don't soon start casting pollen, they won't make it before the cold weather.
Fingers crossed they will want to have some 'sex' soon and the autumn is long and warm :sunny:

Good luck.  9ft that's very tall!!!

Here fermenting the first tomato seeds for the circle.  A yellow cherry tomato called 'Ester Hess Yellow Cherry'.  Tomato 'Brown Berry' to come soon for the health conscious chocoholics amongst us.  Ok, they do not taste like chocolate, but a very flavourful cherry tomato all the same.  Collecting Mescher lettuce seeds which have started to form.  The herb 'Salad Burnett' will have to wait probably for next year as it shows no signs of flowering yet.  More vole damage to beans.    :BangHead:  They nibble through the base of plants which are already up the beanstick and have started 'beaning'.  In desperation I am trying to root cuttings of what is left of the rarer varieties.  :BangHead:   But I should manage a pea variety for the circle.  Think I have enough of 'Norli' a very early Swiss mangetout pea and very high yielding.

Handpollinating pattison courgettes too, but how much seed I will get and whether it is enough for the circle? - we will have to see.  Fingers crossed.  It is a bit warmer than last year, so hopefully I won't end up with all seedless squashes again.   :BangHead: 

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #157 on: August 14, 2013, 21:35:54 »
I've got half a jar of Robinson, which is an excellent tall wrinkled pea, so I'll be putting that in. I want to see what quantities I get of other peas before I commit myself further.

Nigel B

• Hectare
« Reply #158 on: August 15, 2013, 20:07:07 »
So I was just watching the last of the bees leaving the tall flowering Cardoon for the evening.....

Ooh!

Cardoon!

Robert, I remember (Just re-read) you seemed interested last year. Would you like me to try to get some live ones this year? I'll happily take your (anyone's) advice on how to get the best chance of success, although they really seem just like great big thistles and they do well enough if left alone for more than a minute. :)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #159 on: August 16, 2013, 20:34:33 »
I'm definitely interested in cardoons, thanks. I haven't been able to grow them before, thanks to winter waterlogging (I think), but if that was the problem they should be OK in a raised bed.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal