Author Topic: food banks  (Read 21333 times)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
food banks
« on: January 30, 2013, 16:27:08 »
We have just joined up with our local food bank to supply surplus veg to them. We have been told they've 500+ clients referred by the church or social workers. They are expecting this to triple after April. It is ran by a local councillor who supplies ingredients and a recipe. She is going to start cookery lessons soon, too. Anyone had anything to do with any food banks?

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Re: food banks
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 18:24:39 »
Good for you, Manics. I've no doubt there will be some negative comments in response, but working in the advice sector I agree there will be a massive rise in demand when the Welfare Reform hits people on already low incomes (not just unemployed people).

persecuted unlimited

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 18:58:22 »
my 11 year old son helps out at the local food bank (stacking cans etc) and while its a very worthwhile course its a crying shame that this country has allowed its people to get into this situation in the first place, I'm all for helping overseas but I think time has come that they started to help there own, most of the people that use food banks are ordinary working people who have hit hard times.

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 19:04:25 »
Good for you, Manics. I've no doubt there will be some negative comments in response, but working in the advice sector I agree there will be a massive rise in demand when the Welfare Reform hits people on already low incomes (not just unemployed people).
Thanks, Caroline, I'm used to negative stuff  :happy7:

rugbypost

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 21:10:34 »
This happened 2 weeks ago , the local church over the year is out side tesco on a Saturday about once every 8 weeks. Will always buy tescos own brands to the value of £5/£6 its something. And at Christmas we double it so a little goes a long way. Cut a story short was talking to my neighbour last week and out of the blue this woman living 6 doors from us went to the local food bank and told them she could not afford to feed her child who is six. She is on one parent family child allowance, carers for looking after her mother, there is over £350 a week in cash going onto that house. The shame of this is  we will not give to them again I will donate to the Sally Army instead. And as soon as I feel fit enough I will be round the store to shame Her and them for not checking up to see what she was having off THE D.H.S. Rant over but they get no more off me sorry :BangHead:
m j gravell

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2013, 10:08:11 »
Sounds a good idea.  But I gave someone some beans and because they were purple I understand they were simply thrown away.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2013, 18:53:13 »
This happened 2 weeks ago , the local church over the year is out side tesco on a Saturday about once every 8 weeks. Will always buy tescos own brands to the value of £5/£6 its something. And at Christmas we double it so a little goes a long way. Cut a story short was talking to my neighbour last week and out of the blue this woman living 6 doors from us went to the local food bank and told them she could not afford to feed her child who is six. She is on one parent family child allowance, carers for looking after her mother, there is over £350 a week in cash going onto that house. The shame of this is  we will not give to them again I will donate to the Sally Army instead. And as soon as I feel fit enough I will be round the store to shame Her and them for not checking up to see what she was having off THE D.H.S. Rant over but they get no more off me sorry :BangHead:

Most food banks require a referral from another agency. And by the way,  there's no such thing as "one parent family child allowance" or DHS these days. I wonder how you know how much she's getting?

Nigel B

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2013, 19:20:08 »
Our daughter, a single mum with two part-time jobs adding up to twenty-five hours per week, found herself in serious need a couple of weeks ago. The foodbank was referred to through the headmistress of the junior school her young lad attends.
It was exactly what she needed, when she needed it.

Thank goodness for the goodness of the people that give to the foodbanks!

In return, when her held-up wages finally arrive, she intends to buy a shopping load and donate it right back again, with thanks.
I'll certainly be donating any excess veg to them this year, and I'll be encouraging others to do the same.

Well done Manics! :icon_cheers:
"Carry on therefore with your good work.  Do not rest on your spades, except for those brief periods which are every gardeners privilege."

rugbypost

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2013, 19:44:19 »
Well Caroline how I know she borrows money of my neighbour and brags about what she gets  as far as I know and this is true she claims for her mother who can run up the road but is claiming for bad legs its comical I worked and retired but I honestly do not care who haves what I still pay tax all be £55 a month out of my pension that I worked hard for . Good luck to yours this girl was not reffer ed by the school or anybody else for that matter  But they get no more from this house :BangHead:
m j gravell

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2013, 20:09:58 »
Food banks are very common here and have been around for a very long time.

The local supermarkets have a system where one can purchase a package of staples, eg afew canned soup, pasta, etc etc rounded off to $10 or so, we pay for them at the checkout and they get put in a bin and later sent to the food banks.

Our old apartment block had volunteer who collected for the food bank from residents at general meetings.

Often entrance to a small  concert or event is by donation , usually in the form od a non perishable item.

Our community gardens grow food for the local foodbank in fact we donated 5000lbs of food this last year. We also have a covered table at our gardens where folks can place their surplus which goes with the other stuff. We grow pretty much everything excpet things like lettuce and spinach as they go limp so quickly and we only deliver to the foodbank once a week.

Things like huge squash can be a problem as they have to give them to folks in chunks but the smaller ones are very welcome.

There are food banks in all towns and many many folks rely on them.

I have worked at our local church ones and to see the gratitude is very moving, especially the children as our church always has treats for them.

I can think of nothing negative to say, in fact  "there but for the Grace of God go I`springs to mind.

Well done to you Manics, I can have a chat with our food bank coordinator for mor etips re what to grow if it would help. We laso have a grow a row-give a row scheme so even folks with very small gardens can help, seed is iften free.

Then we have seed merchants, who donate last years seeds to organisiations that do this and other work. Franchi does it in the Uk I lnow for a fact as I had seed from them, tons of it, for a project I was involved with.

I thin k it is inevitable that a few folks will abuse the system, they do not need a referrall here by the way, it is all done on trust, however the folks who donate or work for the food banks realise this and of course they give anyway, one cannot withold help from the many because of the few.

I have spoken to many folks over the years who have used food banks, many who are now on their feet and they all say the same thing, it takes a lot of courage to walk in their for the first time , the abuse is a very small part of it.

God Bless givers..and those who give of their  time too, without them here there would be a lot more hungry folk, and at Christmas they provide extra things like toys and goodies

XX Jeannine
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 20:27:29 by Jeannine »
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2013, 21:36:53 »
I was impressed with the food banks baskets  in the supermarkets when I visited Canada and my daughter always conttrubutes as she says she may need thelp one day.  However the social security system is different over there.  I will not contribute over here as I know , personally of at least 4 people who took the p**s.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2013, 22:07:59 »
I lost my job before christmas and signed up for job seekers allowance but not going to get anything as the period they assess me is april 2010 to april 2011 which is when i was off on maternity leave so i know that for 2 years i did not work and therefore for 2 years now i am not going to get anything from the government. I have been looking for work since i lost my job and almost got a couple of positions but the companies are being squeezed and either they have to cut the position or they lose the customer either way Nada.

The town i live near started its food back about 4-5 months ago and i have seen trolleys at the end of supermarket ailse collecting stuff. But so board and fed up as i cant find a job want to volunteer to help but i am told that would stop me signing on :( kind of thinking whats the point i just just sign off and do what i want.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2013, 22:28:40 »
If you are signed on it at least pays up your 'stamp' for the future.

People on benefits

People can volunteer and claim benefits if:
 the only money they get from volunteering is to cover expenses, like travel costs
they continue to meet the conditions of the benefit they get

https://www.gov.uk/volunteering/when-people-can-volunteer

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2013, 23:21:07 »
Thanks looks like the job centre miss-informed me :)
I have to attend a 2 day course in a few weeks to confirm i can read and write :( its demeaning

If you are signed on it at least pays up your 'stamp' for the future.

People on benefits

People can volunteer and claim benefits if:
 the only money they get from volunteering is to cover expenses, like travel costs
they continue to meet the conditions of the benefit they get

https://www.gov.uk/volunteering/when-people-can-volunteer

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2013, 07:43:17 »
Really sorry to hear that, Louise. I hope you find something soon xx
I have to look at it this way, most people who will use this food bank will need it. There may be some who take and don't need but that's on their conscience not mine .

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2013, 11:10:01 »
I would gladly give away any surplus, but unfortunately last year didn't even get enough for myself.  Hopefully this year will be better, but I usually just give to neighbours and friends, but think it is a brilliant idea, but not sure we have food banks in Enfield.  When my children were young they were asked to take tins of food, or packets to school and they were made up into baskets for the children to take to old people in the area, some were grateful, some miserable old people were offended and the children got upset when they refused the basket.  Now I am an old person so maybe I will qualify if the school is still doing it, it was a church school and the church do a lot of good work, although I don't go to church anymore.

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2013, 13:47:59 »
I think food banks sound a great idea. I'd be happy to give my surplus and or grow a little extra to share, but it seems they only take tins or packets around here, no fresh goods.
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2013, 14:51:08 »
http://www.fareshare.org.uk/
This was my original idea, they take anything, dried, canned or fresh. The new one is only just around the corner so is better for us, I don't know if there is one near to you, Jayb ?

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2013, 17:10:27 »
I'm heavily involved with the foodbank which uses my church. People have to come with a referral, and we do everything we can to make sure they're genuine, as obviously there are dodgy people out there who'll exploit something like that if they can. No doubt the odd one still gets through, but better that than leave someone's kids without food! There's always someone going around with stories about people living the life of Reilly off benefits, and some newspapers which gleefully publish these tales, or opoliticians who retail them in Parliament. Many of them have been checked out and found to be bullshit.

The real scandal, of course, is that people should be going hungry at all in what's still a wealthy country.

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2013, 17:18:42 »
The real scandal, of course, is that people should be going hungry at all in what's still a wealthy country.

Hear, hear!
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal