Author Topic: food banks  (Read 21338 times)

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
Re: food banks
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2013, 17:22:13 »
http://www.fareshare.org.uk/
This was my original idea, they take anything, dried, canned or fresh. The new one is only just around the corner so is better for us, I don't know if there is one near to you, Jayb ?

Thanks Manics, great minds,  I found their web site a few days back but the nearest centre is in Cardiff, which for me is not feasible. I'll keep looking though.
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2013, 17:40:38 »
I've just looked on the website and there is a depot about 4 miles from our allotments.

I've emailed them to see if they would be interested in vegetables later in the year.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2013, 17:43:44 »
I've just looked on the website and there is a depot about 4 miles from our allotments.

I've emailed them to see if they would be interested in vegetables later in the year.
Ours were very enthusiastic  but ours is in altrincham? sp..about 18 miles from our plot

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2013, 18:02:37 »
There's always someone going around with stories about people living the life of Reilly off benefits, and some newspapers which gleefully publish these tales, or opoliticians who retail them in Parliament. Many of them have been checked out and found to be bullshit.

And of course the sad thing is that people will be put off donating to a worthy cause because of this - true or not.
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2013, 18:11:29 »
Louise, I've sent you a PM although I've just realised Digeroo has said some of the same.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2013, 18:20:14 »
The shame of this is  we will not give to them again I will donate to the Sally Army instead.

By all means give to anyone you want to but the Sally Army has almost half a billion in funds and has The advancement of Christian religion as first of it's Aims & Objectives:  Plus 22.75 percent of total expenditure does not go on Charitable expenditure.

Im not having a pop at the SA, Christians or anyone here but I'd rather give to a Food Bank which directly benefits local families than to a rather rich international proselytising organisation.

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2013, 18:43:37 »
The Trussell Trust, which runs most of the food banks in England, is also an evangelical Christian organisation, albeit dedicated to its single purpose.

They're setting one up here in Harrow, which I've applied to help with.

I'm sure some people tell tall stories in order to filch from food banks, but the vast majority are honest and fairly desperate because of unexpected circumstances which the state is too inflexible to allow for.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2013, 18:55:07 »
Do they evangelise in the food banks or just fund them?  Not an important distinction when you are hungry but this thread has made me think a little and look up my local food bank which is, as it turns out, run by The Trussell Trust.

I'm not overly keen on religious organisations who they preach while giving out aid but they do seem to be doing a stand up job.

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2013, 19:11:41 »
A lot are run by Churches on church premises, but no, as far as I'm aware, they don't preach whilst handing out the tins of beans and bags of sugar.

It's funny how few avowedly secular organisations do this sort of thing, though. 

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2013, 19:24:28 »
Yes it is - although there are plenty of non affiliated charities doing great work (Shelter for one) in many fields, Food Banks do seem to be mostly run by religious organisations.  There have been "soup kitchens" and that sort of things.  Of course the suspicious non believers amongst us may say it is a rather good way of reaching out to the poor when they are at their lowest ebb but that maybe a bit cynical even for me.

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2013, 19:45:59 »
Ours is a local councillor running it . I don't think it's compulsory to join a religious organisation to get free food from them , whoever they are  :happy7:

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2013, 20:59:07 »
I suppose like some people will cheat the system re benefits some will cheat the food banks. My friend lives in Portugal & the supermarkets there put tokens round the store so if you want to buy a tin of tuna you take the token to the till & they charge you for it. I just think it's so sad that they are needed anywhere.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2013, 22:28:56 »
Totally agree, well Robert and Jay B XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2013, 06:41:49 »
Ours is called compassion in action. Seems to be working  :happy7:

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2013, 08:31:00 »
When I worked at Citizens Advice in York we did a lot of partnership working with the Salvation Army. They did brilliant work for homeless people and I never saw any preaching.

Alimo

• Acre
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2013, 09:30:08 »
I've been involved with my local foodbank for over a year.  It isn't a Trussells trust one, but is run by all our local churches.  People are referred here by doctors, health visitors, cab, job centre, vicars, teachers. 

It amazes many of them that people care and show them kindness when they are in need, and quite a few have become volunteers when they are back on their feet.  When they come with their referral slip, no questions are asked, no judgments are made - like someone else has said, 'there but for the grace' etc.

Love
Alison

Oh - and they are never preached to 
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 09:31:50 by Alimo »

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2013, 21:04:19 »
People definitely don't preach at our food bank. We did once have someone from another local church turn up wondering why we didn't, and we all agreed it would be most inappropriate. We're there to help people, not to convert them, and there's nothing that puts people off worse than attempts to force religion on them when they're vulnerable!

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2013, 08:44:28 »
Perhaps actions speak louder than words.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2013, 10:26:51 »
I was quite surprised at the limited nature of goods that food banks will take but I guess it all has to be non-perishable/simple.  This is what Trussells take..

Milk – UHT or Powdered
Sugar
Furit Juice
Soup
Pasta Sauces
Tinned Sponge Pudding
Cereals   
Tinned Tomatoes
Tinned Rice Pudding
Tea Bags/Instant Coffee
Instant Mash
Rice/Pasta
Tinned meat/Fish
Tinned Veg
Tinned fruit
Jam
Biscuits

No scope for spare lottie produce there..

Are they all like this - are there no food banks using fresh fruit and veg or I am I being unrealistic.  Can't remember the last time I bought half the things on that list..

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2013, 10:29:30 »
There are places which provide warm meals for vulnerable people. Maybe they would be more likely to take fresh veg for making stews and soups etc?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal