Author Topic: External hard drive  (Read 3174 times)

elvis2003

• Hectare
External hard drive
« on: January 05, 2013, 10:58:14 »
Happy new year everyone! :toothy10:
I did the sensible thing a few years ago and bought a iomega hard drive to back up all my files, today did the second sensible thing and decided to plug it in to start using it...problem is, although it is working and my laptop has recognised it, how do I know it's working? I'm sure the chap in PC world said 'just plug it in,that's it' but every search Im doing implies I should have installed a disk. I didnt get a disk, or a manual, anyone?
Ta in advance
Rach
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
Re: External hard drive
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 11:35:42 »
If it is just a standard external drive then windows will recognise it and it will pop up in "Computer" as a drive letter. In that sense it is working and doesnt need any drivers or additional software. However if you are asking "is it working" in relation to actually running a backup utility or file copy utility then it isn't!

Generally speaking any packaged software will consist of some sort of backup utility but you can use the Windows built in backup program ( in Windows 7 - in Control Panel - Backup and restore.  OR you can just do a manual copy
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 12:32:51 »
Thanks NB for the reply, very kind of you, sadly I didnt understand what you meant

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2013, 12:39:49 »
Ok ok I found back up, when asked where I wanted to back up to there wasnt an option to use the external doo dah, why is this stuff all so complicated, feel like throwing out the window with frustartion. Only option was to back up to disc, which would render the drive as useless!!! or are all my files on there anyway???????

MervF

• Half Acre
  • Poole, Dorset
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2013, 14:17:29 »
I have just copied this from the Windows 7 Backup help:

Set up or change automatic backup settings

Backups help ensure that your files aren't permanently lost or damaged. With automatic backups, you don't have to remember to back up your files. You can change your automatic backup settings (such as how often you back up, the type of storage you use, or the types of files you back up) whenever you want.

To set up automatic backups
If you've never used Windows Backup before, the Windows Backup wizard automatically creates a schedule for you, which you can change.

Click to open Backup and Restore.

Click Set up backup, and then follow the steps in the wizard.  If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

To change automatic backups
Click to open Backup and Restore.

Click Change settings.  If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Notes
If it's time for your regularly scheduled backup and your computer is off, sleeping, or hibernating, Windows Backup skips the backup and waits for your next scheduled backup.

If the backup destination isn't available when Windows Backup tries to create your backup, you get an error message. You can either change the backup destination, retry the backup, or wait for your next scheduled backup.

If the backup destination is a network location and it’s not available or your network credentials have expired when Windows Backup tries to create a backup, you get an error message. You can either re-enter your user name and password or retry the backup.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2013, 14:44:37 »
Ok ok I found back up, when asked where I wanted to back up to there wasnt an option to use the external doo dah, why is this stuff all so complicated, feel like throwing out the window with frustartion. Only option was to back up to disc, which would render the drive as useless!!! or are all my files on there anyway???????

When yopu plug your external HD in it will be recognised as a drive (hopefully!) and assigned a drive letter.  C is normally your main internal drive - d may be another drive or perhaps a DVD drive - E and subsequent letters are used for anything else.

So when Windows backup is asking where you want to back up to then you should select the drive letter that corresponds to the external drive.
If you Click on the Start Button - then Computer you should see your drive listed under Removable Storage.  Can you see it there?  If so use that drive in Windows backup.

So basically you are going to backing up from one disk to another - your C drive to your E or F drive (or something similar)

Note that Windows backup will not let you backup to your main drive (C drive) - that will not appear in the list in Windows backup.

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2013, 18:14:20 »
Thank you both very much for your help, I feel like Im getting closer,however, the external drive isnt showing up under removable devices (only my disconnected printer is) but it is showing up under 'printers and devices'
When I tried to back it all up, there was no other option other than dvd storage and no way of changing that  :BangHead:  :BangHead:  :BangHead:

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2013, 08:30:25 »
Right the drive is not being recognised by the PC.  Do youhave the model number and Ill see if you need drivers..

woppa30

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2013, 12:16:19 »
Couple of questions, firstly what operating system are you using, windows XP or something newer?
Secondly, can you see the attached external drive when you open up "My Computer" and copy a file to it?. If not then the drive probably isn't formatted which is dead simple to do once Q1 above is known.
Don't loose faith. Anybody who has ever lost an important document through a hard drive failure / virus / power surge will tell you how important a backup is. I lost some photos once, never again....

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal