Author Topic: 15 days until the propagator goes on!  (Read 3299 times)

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
15 days until the propagator goes on!
« on: December 15, 2012, 09:29:28 »
I was just thinking in the midst of almost the shortest day , pouring rain and feeling very wintery that the growing season begins next week as the day length increases again.
Made me very cheerful and i rummaged in the seed box to find those few early sowings for the propagator that replaces the tree at the front room window. Spring doesn't feel so far away after all.

So heres to the solstice and the new beginnings.
x Sunloving

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: 15 days until the propagator goes on!
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2012, 10:31:34 »
YES!...it won't be long now and I'm going to switch my grow lamps on and put firs 'bits' underneath to grow. Last winter I did grow some nice coriander in small pots (thanks for Ophi's generous packet of seeds)and was able to harvest few cuts from each before the space was needed for other things.
And chillies....must start some of those from seeds for earlier crops and I've got some chilli plants on windowsill now from summer sowings.  :icon_cheers:
It won't be long now..... :blob7:
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 11:18:21 by goodlife »

aj

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2012, 11:26:19 »
Yup - my random weekly sowing experiment begins next weekend. http://linearlegume.blogspot.co.uk/

And all the onions and peppers will start being sown.

Yippee!!!

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2012, 13:42:24 »
Now that I am not exhibiting I am going to start a couple of weeks later than usual, then I will switch my hot bed on!(End of Jan)

My fan heater has been on 'frost stat' all through this cold spell and has held a temp of around 37°F(2°C) so that has kept my stuff in the greenhouse OK.

I have been sorting out my seeds this last couple of days, all the seeds are bought, I have written up my sowing plan on the computer, so only need to sort the packets into sowing order and thats me ready for 2013.....

bring it on....I hope it will be better than 2012....the worst year I have ever encountered in all my years of gardening.  :glasses9:

The smiley is wishful thinking!!

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2012, 13:51:48 »
Got my heating up and running leeks are about pencil size and will set my Ailsie away tomorrow.
Got one trench left to do and ready for the off. just wondering if the off ever stopped
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

small

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2012, 15:27:43 »
What a brilliant post, cheered me up just reading the header, and the afternoons are getting lighter, maybe we will make it after all.......
And my summer geraniums are still blooming beautifully in the conservatory, so really we can ignore winter, can't we?

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2012, 16:22:42 »
Sooo excited, not long to go  :blob7:

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2012, 17:25:01 »
Winter has barely started here, apart from the recent cold spell, and usually goes on until at least the end of March so I won't be sowing seeds for quite some time as I need the greenhouse to protect treasures in pots.   After this summer's poor performances and recent winters where no winter veg have survived, i've decided to turn the longest raised bed into a soft fruit bed and have relocated my red and black currants there.    The remaining beds will be used for strawberries and as a nursery bed for perennials for the main garden with just a few salad plants as they like the cool conditions.   

I shall try growing pumpkins in a sunnier border at the front side but other veggies will have to be grown in pots or wait till I can get some new raised beds made in a sunnier part of the garden.
Obxx - Vendée France

Nigel B

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2012, 18:54:57 »
This topic, and most of its replies, are why I am coming to love this place... Some of you people are absolute garden nutters! :icon_cheers:
You folks are a little bit of :sunny: at an otherwise :sad11: time. Winter makes me :crybaby2: , but now I'm feeling  :icon_cheers:..

Now, where's that seed catalogue? :book1:

.. Hey!

Get off my mouse!!

:tongue8:
"Carry on therefore with your good work.  Do not rest on your spades, except for those brief periods which are every gardeners privilege."

Toshofthe Wuffingas

• Acre
  • Half allotment 1 mile from the sea, North Suffolk.
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2012, 01:31:49 »
.....and I still have a smallish bowl of red plum and golden 'lightbulb'  tomatoes in the kitchen days before Christmas though they are dwindling. Looking backwards and forwards to the good weather.

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2012, 18:09:01 »
I was having a spot of winter blues so started some early seeds! I have a few baby chillies on the go, just getting their first true leaves. Caldero F4, Pretty in Purple, Pyramid, Rocotillo,  Rocoto; - Alberto Locoto, Yellow, Manzano (orange) and Aji Largo. All went in the airing cupboard to germinate, no shows Black Hungarian, think my seed might be a bit old.

I've also got some dwarf tomatoes on the go in various stages, a couple are plants in pots from the summer and just waiting for the fruit to ripen, a few others were Autumn sown and setting fruit Yayyyyy! A few more are just incy things yet but I've not really thought this all through and starting to panic on where are they are all going to go, only so many windowsills. I have got an indoor light but......what about starting my proper tomatoes next year - no room!
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2013, 10:26:46 »
Hooray, its on, the pepper seeds and some hardy perenials are all in. Let the growing begin!
xSunloving

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2013, 10:48:24 »
Big onions and chillies in, I'm checking every day  :toothy10:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal